Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Swampers,,

Yesterday my girlfriend and I were watching the original Gumball Ralley movie and it got me to thinking. What is the best car chase sceen in movie DRAMA? No Smokey and the Bandit, no Blues Brothers, no Comedys and no CG stuff. I want real drivers, real stunts!!! Below are a few I have listed in no particular order off the top of my head.

Bullitt: of course the great Steve McQueen doing his own driving on the streets of San Francisco in a '68 Mustang GT. Hey that would be a great title for a cop show!

Le Mans: Steve McQueen again. Need I say more. (plus he raced dirt bikes which is very cool)

Vanishing Point: probably my most favorite because Barry Newman's character was in a car chase sceen most of the movie, driving a 70 Dodge Charger RT, 440 Magnum.

The French Connection: I like Gene Hackman and it's another intense car chase in New York

Ronin: It is extremely intense and I like Jean Reno and Robert Di Nero, and, I am the one creating the thread!

The Seven Ups: i was always a Roy Scheider fan. The driving under the elevated train and the way the bad guys get it at the end of the sceen is spectacular.

Grand Prix: Only because I like James Garner and he was a racer too.

Winning: an OK movie but Paul Newman, Mr Cool Hand Luke, was cool because he was quite the racer too.

To Live And Die In LA: this movie was made in '85 but there are no the CG special effects prevelent as in todays movies. It is raw and intense... And Wang Chung does the soundtrack! :hilarious:

I am adding two more I just thought of..

The California Kid: Martin Sheen and Vic Marrow, Sheen shows up in a '32 Ford roadster to avenge his brother's death by dirty cop Vic Marrows's character. If you recall, Vic was killed in the making of the Twilight Zone movie. His daughter is 80's movie hottie, Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry: Susan George and Peter Fonda, Fonda rives a yellow '69 Charger RT being chased by a cop played by Vic Marrow.

OK gang! What say you???

:thanks:

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
The recent movie Drive was not very good, but the chase scene was one of the best, it should be on the list.

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good list....from the list, I vote for Ronin.

Yeah, I like the movie a lot. But I have preferece over those actors who did their own driving.

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The recent movie Drive was not very good, but the chase scene was one of the best, it should be on the list.

Haven't seen it yet but we were debating watching it on PPV last eve.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My Top 5-

Against All Odds - Terry Brogan (Jeff Bridges) in a red 911 vs Jake Wise (James Woods) in a black Ferrari 308

The Hidden- An alien is on the run in America. To get his kicks, it kills anything that gets in its way, and likes fast cars. Its just funny to see how big and ugly cars were in the 1970's compared to how small and cool a Ferrari looked ramming into them. Here's the clip The Hidden Car Chase (1987) - YouTube

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie 1980 - Dino Ferrari (worth $225k today) driven off road into pot fields in chase scene.

Golden Eye- sexy Russian baddy in a 355 vs James in his Vintage Austin Martin. (Best Tank chase, and Tank vs Train also)

And the best real car chase.... This guy- This is still the best clip I've ever seen on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wQQp6Imeb0

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My Top 5-

Against All Odds - Terry Brogan (Jeff Bridges) in a red 911 vs Jake Wise (James Woods) in a black Ferrari 308

The Hidden- An alien is on the run in America. To get his kicks, it kills anything that gets in its way, and likes fast cars. Its just funny to see how big and ugly cars were in the 1970's compared to how small and cool a Ferrari looked ramming into them. Here's the clip The Hidden Car Chase (1987) - YouTube

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie 1980 - Dino Ferrari (worth $225k today) driven off road into pot fields in chase scene.

Golden Eye- sexy Russian baddy in a 355 vs James in his Vintage Austin Martin. (Best Tank chase, and Tank vs Train also)

And the best real car chase.... This guy- This is still the best clip I've ever seen on YouTube Impressive Pursuit - YouTube

C and C doesn't count because its a comedy not a drama. Golden Eye is disqualified because it uses CG.

Forgot about Against All Odds...good Movie

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Hidden car chase scene? Since when were the streets of L.A. that devoid of cars? Especially in 1987? Reality, the dude in the Ferrari would have made it only a block from the bank with typical L.A. traffic.:hilarious:

·
Registered
906 Posts
OP got most of the great chases, although I could argue about LeMans & Grand Prix being races not chases, but I won't get picky.;)

I'll add another with very smooth driving, "The Driver" with Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, and Isabelle Adjani from 1978.

Blues Brothers? Absolutely.

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OP got most of the great chases, although I could argue about LeMans & Grand Prix being races not chases, but I won't get picky.;)

I'll add another with very smooth driving, "The Driver" with Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, and Isabelle Adjani from 1978.

Blues Brothers? Absolutely.
Yes, "The Driver" is another. Don't you wish you could make your own ignition key too??? The Blues Brothers does not count because it is a COMEDY. This thread is for DRAMAs only. I think I will change the criteria to must be made before 1985. Although Ronin will not be able to be included since it is a modern film.

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Hidden car chase scene? Since when were the streets of L.A. that devoid of cars? Especially in 1987? Reality, the dude in the Ferrari would have made it only a block from the bank with typical L.A. traffic.:hilarious:
I have to agree with you about The Hidden. Although I like the movie and have it on Laser Disk, remember those?, the chase sceen is kind of lame because there are no other cars....

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
French Connection... and in a similar vein one or more of the Jason Bourne trilogy (I don't know if they are legit driving tho??)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with Ronin, great movie.

The Bond car chase that ultimately had me buying a Lotus a few years ago are Roger Moore in The Spy who Loved Me (Lotus Esprit vs. helicopter, bad guys in car and a guy on a BMW motorbike with a sidecar missile!). One of the other Bond movies with Roger Moore, For Your Eyes Only has 007 driving a Citroen Deux Cheveaux trying to escape the bad guys, no Q gadgets here, just a drive through the woods, towns, etc trying to avoid flipping over (well, he didn't!). Both are fun movies.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I own Ronin simply because of the car chase (but it's a good movie too!)
+1 on the Blues Brothers - the shear number of cop cars destroyed hastened the demise of the Crown Vic. (I know, comedy)
What about Taken with Liam Neeson--there's at least two car chases in that?

btw, while OPs think they can dictate the rules for subsequent posters, let's get real here. There are no rules (other than the forum rules, OK) and threads just go the way they go. This one is still ON TRACK...

·
Poverty by Porsche
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I own Ronin simply because of the car chase (but it's a good movie too!)
+1 on the Blues Brothers - the shear number of cop cars destroyed hastened the demise of the Crown Vic. (I know, comedy)
What about Taken with Liam Neeson--there's at least two car chases in that?

btw, while OPs think they can dictate the rules for subsequent posters, let's get real here. There are no rules (other than the forum rules, OK) and threads just go the way they go. This one is still ON TRACK...

And I can disagree because I did create the thread. My ball, my game, my rules. Feel free to create your own thread Doc... :taunt: The spirt of the thread was to suggest great car chase sceens that were realistic without computer generation and were dramas. Comedys are not realistic in that sense. I love and own both the B brothers and Ronin. I was attempting to get to the grit. Actors who mostly did their own driving without the artificialness that modern movies consist of. ie Fast and Furious franchise, Wanted, etc...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This is really bad, but "The Chase" with Charlie Sheen - it is a really lame movie, and the actual chase scenes are awful, but Kristy Swanson (the girl he "kidnapped") was very hot with a classy early 90s California style, that reminds me of living in LA in the 80s/90s............:crazy:

Back to reality -
Alway liked Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry too; it has that low budget early 70s vibe, that was best seen at a drive in theater. And if that is not 180 degrees from The Chase, nothing is!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts