Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief searches didn't turn up much here...If I missed something don't hesitate to redirect me...otherwise --> question to the community:

I like to consider myself a "car guy" and have always liked cars...probably owned too many for my 39 years...but I have never placed a particular emphasis on the method of how I wash my cars...I usually buy new or close to new and keep them for a handful of years, leveraging the random “car wash” for $20 and move on…Yes...I'm not over-educated in this space...

My Cayman S (GT Silver) that is currently on its way “home” (arrives this Monday) and is something I want to pay more thoughtful attention to…”Baby your Baby” is a George Strait song I think…

I don't have a driveway to wash it myself in or a garage with a drain to wash inside...so hand washing will be a challenge on the street or alley...what type of car washes does the community recommend...what should I look for..."brushless right?" Does my question even make sense?

Thoughts?
Salem

·
Registered
196 Posts
1. prepare for this thread to get moved. ;)

2. the proper process can take hours and many details that have been typed time and time again.

3. my shortest path for you: yea, stay away from brushes. i call them "beaters" because they beat the hell out of your paint. if anything and you really have no other choice i would go to one of those do it yourself coin operated places and just rinse off the big stuff and dust. after that, use a waterless wash with lamb skin mitts and then dry it off with quality waffle weave towels. use separate mitts and towels for the wheels.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i would like to add that washing your car properly is an art and takes time to master. it's not for the faint of heart. lol i try to maintain it an hour a week myself and then bring it to a trusted detailing master every six months or so.

good thing you got silver.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
A "car guy" would never run their car through an automatic car wash. If they do they are not car guys:taunt:. I take mine to a do it yourself car wash and do it myself. Fortunately they are close enough for me to drive them home to my garage after the wash where I do the proper toweling off and detailing necessary to maintain my official/certifiable "car guy" status. Been doing it that way for over 50 years and have owned a couple show/award winning vehicles so I do know what I'm talking about. A typical car wash effort takes me 2 hours, sometimes longer if I get distracted.:cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dooh - if I posed in the wrong forum!
You both bring up a good solution I didn't consider...I should pack a super duper car wash bag with the right tools (mitts, towels, etc.) to compliement one of the many coin-operated facilities not too far away. I'll leverage a bay and use the sparyer for soap and rinse...not use their brush of course!
Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
911 Posts
Being lucky enough to have a garage and driveway, I would not take either my Porsche or BMW to an automated car wash. But on extended road trips, I find a coin operated "do it yourself" and invest the $5.00 or so necessary to get the bulk of the road grime off as necessary.

Reactions: KCZ

·
Registered
617 Posts
Google the "Gary Dean Method" for rinseless washes. You can do them in an alley or parking lot easily.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
If I ever drove my car through a car wash (and I never will) it would be a brushless car wash. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
if you don't have a garage or driveway to wash the car. they have those 3.50 car self carwash.. with a spray nozzle.. NO brushes..

just get the proper towels like 1100 gsm.. when on the buffing..so no scratches..

Lemon

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you really want to protect your Baby and your Vehicle, Never ever run it through a car wash.

If you can't wash it yourself find a good well recomended detailer that can do it for you the right way.

Driverxxx7

Reactions: Budman

·
Registered
258 Posts
After taking delivery of our Boxster in Zuffenhausen, we were advised to wash the car before dropping it off because it would not get washed again until it got to the dealer 8 weeks and a boat trip later. Our hotel recommended Mr. Wash near the factory. With much trepidation on my part, we took our brand new Porsche through the "brushes and beaters". I did notice some other high end cars, including a 911, there. Result, car looks perfect. Granted, I am not one to get my magnifying glass out out and inspect every square inch, or mm. Now that we are home, it is hand wash only.

Just my opinion, but silver is very forgiving. I have two other vehicles, silver and white, and I would be hard pressed to see all the swirl marks they undoubtedly have. (Don't even look at my green pickup!) I am of the opinion that my car is meant for driving, not polishing, although I respect and admire those who can keep a concours finish on theirs.

Reactions: michael818

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
In my opinion, you are going to do more damage to your car just by driving it than you would taking it through a car wash. Why not just store your car and throw away the keys? :)

Im a car guy but I take my 981 to the car wash on a regular basis because I work 70 hours a week. Lol. I just don't have the time.

Try a touchless car wash. That might be better.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A "car guy" would never run their car through an automatic car wash.
It got up into the mid-40's yesterday, and I braved hypothermia to get the car washed. Could not bring myself to chamois the car afterward. So I put the car in the garage, and turned on the separate furnace I have out there and "baked" the car for three hours to dry it out -- but still got a few water spots. Meanwhile, my wife had run to the grocery store to pick up a few things, drove past two car washes along the way... you guessed it, really long line at each.

Starting to get some feeling back in my hands.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't have a driveway to wash it myself in or a garage with a drain to wash inside...so hand washing will be a challenge on the street or alley...what type of car washes does the community recommend...what should I look for..."brushless right?"
Hand wash places are what I use but you can't assume that they're all equal. I've also washed my own cars in the street by hand. It's really not that big of a deal. There are waterless and rinseless washes as well. The self-wash bays are an option but be aware that some do not allow hand washing.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
3. my shortest path for you: yea, stay away from brushes. i call them "beaters" because they beat the hell out of your paint. if anything and you really have no other choice i would go to one of those do it yourself coin operated places and just rinse off the big stuff and dust. after that, use a waterless wash with lamb skin mitts and then dry it off with quality waffle weave towels. use separate mitts and towels for the wheels.
Yep. Waterless wash seems to be made just for you. If your car is not too dirty - you can do it in your garage, no drain necessary. If it's real dirty I'd hose down the big dirt first at one of those coin places:

Reactions: BlueNorther

·
Registered
160 Posts
Same situation as you are in. I take it to a coin operated car wash and spray it down with water if it is really dirty. The pressure from those car bay are awesome. I only use their water since I do not trust their soap, but that is me. Plus I found one by my condo that spray warm water. Great for the winter!

I then take it home and wash it myself with optimum no rinse. Here is a video. I trust this guy for all my detailing questions.

You can also do a search for optimum no rinse in this forum. Many have used it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This washing issue comes up time and again. I do consider myself a car guy and have had a number of high end cars over the years, including 3 Porsches, an M3 . an S4 and an RS4 in the recent past. I have my cars professionally detailed twice a year but do not hesitate to run them through a car wash in between. I'm not trying to win a concours and simply want to drive the cars. I don't have 2 hours a week to clean it, I would rather be out driving. Is a hand wash a better solution, I'm sure it is. Does it matter to me, I'm sure it doesn't. I've traded and sold many cars over the years and have never had one rejected because it went through an automatic car wash. The bottom line to me is that I bought the car to drive. I want it to look nice but I'm not entering any competitions. Do what's best for you. It may be a Porsche but it is still just a car. I realize that some of the posters here love cleaning their cars and I respect that but, as I said, I love driving the car and use it year round. It gets cold here in the winter and I'm not standing outside and freezing just to avoid a car wash.

In my opinion, you are going to do more damage to your car just by driving it than you would taking it through a car wash. Why not just store your car and throw away the keys? :)

Im a car guy but I take my 981 to the car wash on a regular basis because I work 70 hours a week. Lol. I just don't have the time.

Try a touchless car wash. That might be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts