Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The DE last month with Patrick Long and a cast of all star instructors was fantastic. Here's what you missed:

Best-DE-Ever

My 07 CS continues to perform flawlessly on the track. After a session with Patrick driving my car, we talked about car setup. I asked what he would change on the car, and he said "Nothing". For a street car, he found it well balanced and quick (so did I).

:cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
What package did you use to get the RPM, Brake and Speed info into the video?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
thanks for the great video, looks like it would make for an awesome day, now I definitely have to make a DE day. only mod will be cat-backs:burnout:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What package did you use to get the RPM, Brake and Speed info into the video?
I use Traqmate to gather the information, then use Trackvision to overlay it on the video. Trackvision lets you make custom "dashboards" so that you can put what you want where you want it. A bit more work than the integrated packages, but I like the freedom...

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Now I'm really regretting having missed this event. Great video, love the editing. Got any more useful tips from Patrick Long with regard to driving a Cayman or about MSR?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great video, looks like you were pretty quick. What run group were you in, I'm assuming it was an advanced group.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
That was amazing. What a group of cars.

Remind us what you have done to your car, and what is the little red light for?

I really need to step in to the "Yes Spin Zone" and push a bit harder with PSM off. Otherwise I will never improve.

Great video.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.... Great video, love the editing. Got any more useful tips from Patrick Long with regard to driving a Cayman or about MSR?
Thanks!

My big take-aways were things that other instructors have told me, but they became “real” when I saw them done brilliantly in my car, on a track that I had driven moments before.

First is really committing to throttle. Except for Wagon Wheel and Horseshoe-Boot Hill, Patrick was pretty much at 100% throttle, usually after turn in, and always by apex. This affects the way you see a turn as you approach. You do not visualize your objective as: slow down until you can make the curve without going off. Your objective is to slow down to a speed at which you can go to 100% throttle after turn in. He braked earlier than I did (about 60 feet) for every turn, and transitioned to throttle early and hard.

Next was smoothness – and lack thereof. Approaching a curve, you are (duh) on a straight. You do not typically have to worry about unsettling the car on a straight, so the gas to brake transition can be brutal. He went from 100% throttle to threshold braking in about .5 seconds. On the other hand, coming off brake and onto throttle in the turn was so smooth you could not feel the transition.

In a street car, the suspension is soft and bouncy (relative to a race car). This is a great training tool for smoothness, since any bobble makes the car lurch around. The DE really got me excited about working on smoothness in shifting, braking and throttle, after seeing the increased speed you can carry if you do not unsettle the car in turns.

There were not any "secrets" to MSR that I learned. The line descrition at Trackepedia is good. Good lap times come from carrying speed through Ricochet, Big and Little Bend, and Tombstone...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What run group were you in, I'm assuming it was an advanced group.
Thanks, I am in Yellow with PCA, but this event had no run groups - it was open track for two solid days. I was one of the least experienced drivers there; most were racers, not DE drivers.

Remind us what you have done to your car, and what is the little red light for?

Great video.
It looks like its tied to the brakes, maybe allowing him to synch up the video to the datalog, perhaps?
Thanks, yes, the light is a "repeater" for my brake lights. The data system records brake application, and I can match it to the light illuminating in the video to get data and video syncronized exactly. This is not nescessary with the "integrated" data/video systems.

On my car, the only suspension mod is GT3 LCA's for better camber adjustment, -2.0 at all four corners. HP and torque is up about 10% from Softronic SRP and flash, Capristo exhaust and UDP. Quaife LSD helps get the power down.

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
It is good to see that you didn't do a ton of improvements and I would be the exhaust doesn't do much of anything. From your list I see the most meaningful is the Softronic components and the LSD. Nicely done.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
It is good to see that you didn't do a ton of improvements and I would be the exhaust doesn't do much of anything. From your list I see the most meaningful is the Softronic components and the LSD. Nicely done.
I'm pretty sure opening up the exhaust on the CS does a world of good, especially in combination with the Plenum and Flash. Cat-Back is very good, removal of the pre-cats, either with a new header or some other method, is very effective too.

If you want to improve a car and not change the exhaust, it's probably best to skip the Plenum and just get the non-plenum Flash. I've got the plenum and flash with stock exhaust and it's a little better, but feels like something is missing. I think the non-plenum software is better tailored to the stock exhaust. Go that way if you know you don't want to mod the exhaust.

On my M3, the intake made far more improvement than the exhaust. On the CS, it seems like the opposite.

I'm using R-tires on my car at the track. I wanted to bulletproof the power steering system (They've been known to melt their internal plastic parts) so added an Underdrive Pulley to decrease the RPMs of the pump in long, high RPM corners and a PS oil cooler in front. I put on a competition Vapor Oil Separator and Sump Extension. The VOS keeps splashing oil from getting sucked into the intake system during hard turning. The sump extension gives the car 1 quart of extra oil capacity for better engine temp control and better ability to resist the oil pumps pumping air in hard turns. Also added stainless brake lines and Pagid Yellows for track use. The braided lines just make the brakes feel better and the Yellows saves the street pads.

Agree with the 2 degrees negative camber. That really helps tire life on track. With these staggered tire sizes, you can't rotate like you'd like and can go through tires quickly.

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
I'm pretty sure opening up the exhaust on the CS does a world of good, especially in combination with the Plenum and Flash. Cat-Back is very good, removal of the pre-cats, either with a new header or some other method, is very effective too.
All speculation (on the exhaust part) without real dyno before and after results unfortunately. I really wish these companies that make the exhaust systems actually have this type of data. Heck, I bet it helps too but I guess I'm too much of a skeptic now. No matter, this ride is nice!

Chris

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I did an acceleration test after swapping my stock exhaust for Borla cat back and based upon a rolling start 60 to 100 mph pulls in third gear, my car is .2 seconds quicker than it was before. That is nearly 3 car lengths of difference after less than 7 seconds. No dyno numbers, just plain old "my car gets from A to B quicker" based upon the GPS and accelerometer data via Traqmate.

The comment about getting your braking done early and getting back 100 percent on the throttle is advice I need to heed to get more speed...:cheers:

I noticed he was using all of the track, also. I like your bloopers. Obviously an exercise in understanding "the limit". :)

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Great post, thanks. I met Patrick Long at the Long Beach GP, and in addition to being a great driver, he's a nice guy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In Skip Barber Racing's book "Going Faster", the author indicates you should always be on the gas or on the brake, and as much as possible at full throttle or threshold breaking consistent with good car balance--never coasting, except for the instances when changing gears. The problem with that advice for our street cars is you WILL wear them out much faster that way but you can certainly see why Barber's advice means a quicker lap.

Great that your track has so much safe run-off area....

Very nice video--thanks so much for sharing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been entertained by the video on several occasions since finding this, and have also looked at the videos for the other track days, and certainly appreciate the posting.

As a new CS owner, I have to say that I AM a bit surprised by the video of the spins though, as I was under the impression that our mid-engine design made this much more difficult than what I was viewing. Other than having the PSM turned off, and acknowledging that it was on street tires (not sure of type nor tread amount left), is there another explanation??

Without such a large runoff (which I am not sure is typical of tracks here in CA), this video scares the hell out of me with the thought of going to the track in my car!!

My best,

fd

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I have been entertained by the video on several occasions since finding this, and have also looked at the videos for the other track days, and certainly appreciate the posting.

As a new CS owner, I have to say that I AM a bit surprised by the video of the spins though, as I was under the impression that our mid-engine design made this much more difficult than what I was viewing. Other than having the PSM turned off, and acknowledging that it was on street tires (not sure of type nor tread amount left), is there another explanation??

Without such a large runoff (which I am not sure is typical of tracks here in CA), this video scares the hell out of me with the thought of going to the track in my car!!

My best,

fd
Frankie:

Looks to me like F-V went off by letting a rear wheel fall off the track a bit at the wrong moment. Something really pulled the back end sideways and he wasn't turning that hard at that moment. Then his correction was not quite enough and countersteer not quick enough and he got slung into an opposite spin by the suspension. Classic scenario for trailing throttle oversteer...or just going off the track with one wheel and trying to save the car.

When the back comes out like that, you need to correct violently and when the car comes back around, you need to countersteer quickly and hard back the other way or it will come round the opposite direction. I saw an gorgeous, well prepared M5 turned to scrap doing the same thing except there was a concrete wall in the way on the reverse spin. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts