Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm saving up for my first Porsche (either a 2006 Carrera S Cabriolet or a 2011 Boxster S) and have about $30-40k to spend. I've driven both and loved the performance of each in their own way so I need another factor to decide on. Here's what I liked (and didn't like) about each car.

Boxster S
- Amazing handling around corners
- More fun to drive (begs to go fast)
- More attractive front styling

- Only 2 seats
- "Poor man's Porsche comments"
- Feminine rear styling

- More masculine/serious look and feel
- Attractive rear and side styling
- Faster 0-60 and top speed
- 4ish seats

- Older car/outdated style and look?

Feel free to add anything to the list. However both cars are tied for me as of right now and my deciding factor would be general look of the car and the status associated with each. I know that status is probably the least of your concern when buying one of these cars but which one, in your opinion, looks more like a serious sports car and would make a better impression?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
which trans? both 6MT? If auto then 997.1 is tip and 987.2 is pdk. Also motors differ- the Carrera is M97, Boxster S is the newer 9A1 with DFI.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey guys, I'm saving up for my first Porsche (either a 2006 Carrera S Cabriolet or a 2011 Boxster S) and have about $30-40k to spend. I've driven both and loved the performance of each in their own way so I need another factor to decide on. Here's what I liked (and didn't like) about each car.

Boxster S
- Amazing handling around corners
- More fun to drive (begs to go fast)
- More attractive front styling

- Only 2 seats
- "Poor man's Porsche comments"
- Feminine rear styling

- More masculine/serious look and feel
- Attractive rear and side styling
- 4ish seats

- Older car/outdated style and look?

Feel free to add anything to the list. However both cars are tied for me as of right now and my deciding factor would be general look of the car and the status associated with each. I know that status is probably the least of your concern when buying one of these cars but which one, in your opinion, looks more like a serious sports car and would make a better impression?
Wait, I thought this was the car you were worried about driving to your first year of college? Now your worried about status?

I went from a 911 to a Cayman, and I think the Cayman looks better front and rear. I've never had anyone call it a poor man's Porsche. Either people don't know what it is, or they think it's a 911. That being said, I do think the 997.1 is the best looking water-cooled 911.

Either way, be prepared to hold back money for repairs and maintenance, especially if you're not getting a warranty. The first used 911 that I purchased cost me something like $5K in the first year (water pump, control arm, O2 sensor, clutch, tires, oil change, etc,) and your 2006 model has the potential for an IMS grenade, which is a 5 figure problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Luke,

The statement of the "Poor man's Porsche" doesn't really apply anymore. Maybe when the 986 was first introduced, but I think over the last two decades that stigma has gone to the wayside.

I have tracked several Subaru STi's in the past and I can tell you that the performance is very similar to the Cayman Base 2.9L. For spirited driving on the street/twisties the 2.9L has more power than you can actually use safely. I mention the Base 2.9L mainly to suggest broadening your search for a great car. You are more likely to find a BS with all the bells and whistles, but if a Boxster 2.9L came along with all the bells and whistles I would suggest snatching it up and saving yourself some cash.

As to commenting on your list of pros and cons:

If the deciding factor is the overall looks of the car, I would go with the BS, but I am partial to the 987.2 styling.

To possibly broaden your search further you could look at a 2013 Boxster Base, which has a very sporty look as well and can be found for just over $40k.

Is this vehicle replacing the 718 you were going to lease, and do you plan on occasionally driving it to your college campus or on dates? If your answers are yes, then what I am reading into your previous thread and your post above is that you are looking for a status symbol. A vehicle that has a name brand synonymous with performance, quality, elegance and generally high cost? If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with that, it's your money and you may do with it whatever you choose. My suggestion to you is go find a really well cared for Boxster Base. Literally 99.9% of the people who will see you driving the vehicle will have no clue that it isn't a $100k+ car. These same people see the Porsche emblem and/or name and most likely think you are successful and like the finer things in life. The model of the vehicle means nothing to these same people, so buying a specific model other than a "911" is wasted on them. I speak from experience as I have roughly twenty employee's who, once they finally figured out who was occasionally driving a Porsche to work, all thought that my 987.2 Base cost $100K+.

Regards,

Graeme

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Luke,

The statement of the "Poor man's Porsche" doesn't really apply anymore. Maybe when the 986 was first introduced, but I think over the last two decades that stigma has gone to the wayside.

I have tracked several Subaru STi's in the past and I can tell you that the performance is very similar to the Cayman Base 2.9L. For spirited driving on the street/twisties the 2.9L has more power than you can actually use safely. I mention the Base 2.9L mainly to suggest broadening your search for a great car. You are more likely to find a BS with all the bells and whistles, but if a Boxster 2.9L came along with all the bells and whistles I would suggest snatching it up and saving yourself some cash.

As to commenting on your list of pros and cons:

If the deciding factor is the overall looks of the car, I would go with the BS, but I am partial to the 987.2 styling.

To possibly broaden your search further you could look at a 2013 Boxster Base, which has a very sporty look as well and can be found for just over $40k.

Is this vehicle replacing the 718 you were going to lease, and do you plan on occasionally driving it to your college campus or on dates? If your answers are yes, then what I am reading into your previous thread and your post above is that you are looking for a status symbol. A vehicle that has a name brand synonymous with performance, quality, elegance and generally high cost? If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with that, it's your money and you may do with it whatever you choose. My suggestion to you is go find a really well cared for Boxster Base. Literally 99.9% of the people who will see you driving the vehicle will have no clue that it isn't a $100k+ car. These same people see the Porsche emblem and/or name and most likely think you are successful and like the finer things in life. The model of the vehicle means nothing to these same people, so buying a specific model other than a "911" is wasted on them. I speak from experience as I have roughly twenty employee's who, once they finally figured out who was occasionally driving a Porsche to work, all thought that my 987.2 Base cost $100K+.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks a lot for your advice. Yes this is going to potentially replace the lease as it seems to make more sense financially. (I'm surprised you remembered that post).

In regards to status, I'm looking for three things in my car 1. Performance/Handling/Feel (50%) 2. Reliable sports car (25%), 3. Status/style piece (25%)..

---I've driven both models and loved both their performance factor in different ways (making it hard to choose based on this)

--- Porsche makes incredibly reliable sports cars compared to Aston, Maserati, Lotus (The boxster would be more reliable b/c its more modern).

--- Status is one of my concerns second to reliability and performance. I don't know why people assume that people that care about status, don't also care about the fun and performance factor of these cars. Some people buy these cars just for status (Usually in automatic ;)), some people just want a fun car to drive and some want the whole package in a sports car.

Personally, I'm looking for a car that I can have fun driving, go fast when I need to and yes bring girls on dates every now and then.

I looked at the 13 Boxster base. Loved the look of it so it would definitely meet criteria #3 but it didn't quite satisfy the performance factor I wanted in a sports car.

Luke

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not sure you can get a 2011 for mid-30s, at least not a cool one. On the other hand you will get a CPOed one for little more, and that can make a large financial difference in the future.

The major problem I have with those 987s that many of them are very basic. Full leather is a rare find. Many are arctic silver with half-plastic black (actually washed out blash-ish) interior. Those are too plain for my taste. You can reasonably easily find an early 997 with full leather and/or supple leather, a rare color and the like.

If music is important to you then be aware than even a line-in can be a rare find. For most of those years you need option "universal audio interface". Check the build sheets.

And don't forget that the Boxster has 2 trunks, which makes the lack of rear seats more bearable. A 911 can severely lack space to securely lock items out of sight.

·
Registered
745 Posts
A Porsche will be more reliable than a Maserati, but make sure you still plan on keeping money aside for repairs, because, as I've mentioned, when things do inevitably fail, it's much more expensive to fix a Porsche compared to your average domestic or Japanese car.

As far as performance, there really isn't a reason to pass up any Porsche from the last 25 years. Even my base Cayman is usually faster than just about anything around, and, if it's not quite as fast in a straight line, it makes up the ground in the turns. These cars are made to be driven at high RPM, so try to stay over 4K rpm when test driving, if you want to get a real sense how they perform. I find it more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow, which is partly why I got a Cayman after my 911.

Ultimately, the 911 wins in status, the 911 wins in power, handling is a preference, and reliability depends on the age/miles. I'd personally never trade my Cayman for a newer 911. I did the opposite.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm not sure you can get a 2011 for mid-30s, at least not a cool one. On the other hand you will get a CPOed one for little more, and that can make a large financial difference in the future.

The major problem I have with those 987s that many of them are very basic. Full leather is a rare find. Many are arctic silver with half-plastic black (actually washed out blash-ish) interior. Those are too plain for my taste. You can reasonably easily find an early 997 with full leather and/or supple leather, a rare color and the like.

If music is important to you then be aware than even a line-in can be a rare find. For most of those years you need option "universal audio interface". Check the build sheets.

And don't forget that the Boxster has 2 trunks, which makes the lack of rear seats more bearable. A 911 can severely lack space to securely lock items out of sight.
Yeah, oddly enough, full leather was essentially the only option I wanted in a 987 (and some kind of grey or silver color.) I eventually found one with full leather, and it came with only 18" rims and BOSE (I still slightly wish I had the plain stereo and 17" rims.) A practically un-optioned Porsche with full leather is my favorite way to go, and that's how I'd order one new.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah, oddly enough, full leather was essentially the only option I wanted in a 987 (and some kind of grey or silver color.) I eventually found one with full leather, and it came with only 18" rims and BOSE (I still slightly wish I had the plain stereo and 17" rims.) A practically un-optioned Porsche with full leather is my favorite way to go, and that's how I'd order one new.
Yeah. The longer I am looking the more full leather is locked into the must-have category. I rather replace all the stereo stuff than spend Porsche money to be surrounded by plastic. If plastic can't be avoided I think that the 911 carries it much better. The perceived value of a Boxster can be very low if it is too basic in overall surfaces (meaning colors, materials etc).

Personally I am going in the direction of any random manual 987.1 (with full leather and heated seats) since I don't see the need for the .2. Direct injection still rubs me the wrong way. That or maybe I take a leap and get a 964 cabrio.

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 on the 987.2 Boxster 'S'...it will probably match the 997.1 in performance (especially if considering Tip vs PDK), suspension geometry for the .2 cars (both Box/Cay/911) was a lot less sloppy than the .1s, you get a newer car, a '11 Boxster S will prob have Bluetooth and at least an AUX cable lol, and...ohhh yeah...MOST IMPORTANTLY...none of that potential 6 figure IMS motor blowing up crap.

Style and 'its a 911' BS aside, the 987.2 is the better buy...you can prob still find some as CPO's!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 on the 987.2 Boxster 'S'...it will probably match the 997.1 in performance (especially if considering Tip vs PDK), suspension geometry for the .2 cars (both Box/Cay/911) was a lot less sloppy than the .1s, you get a newer car, a '11 Boxster S will prob have Bluetooth and at least an AUX cable lol, and...ohhh yeah...MOST IMPORTANTLY...none of that potential 6 figure IMS motor blowing up crap.

Style and 'its a 911' BS aside, the 987.2 is the better buy...you can prob still find some as CPO's!
True that makes sense.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I vote for the Boxster. Two cars for the price of one; convertible and coupe, newer model, mid-engine for better (and safer) handling, more secure storage, and since 25% of your interest is status, IMHO the Boxster looks like a more expensive car than the 997.1, especially with the top down and if red, yellow, or blue. I don't recall any mention of the transmission, but if it were a manual, that would seal it for me.
As for the "feminine rear styling" (??) who cares, you won't be looking at it, the driver behind you will, but not for long if you drive it properly through the Connecticut twisties!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I drove a bunch of 996 and 997 911s when I was looking. It made me realize that for my purposes, I didn't want a 911. I have a Volvo turbo for GT travel.

When I voted with my own dollars, it was a $26,000 lightly optioned Cayman S. Nothing fancy other than Bidirectional Xenon package. $2000 in tires and farkles to make it mine. Much lower overhead for the present and future.

Note than I am not tracking the car, just work and weekends on the street. For DE, it would be a 987.2 or base 981.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advice. Yes this is going to potentially replace the lease as it seems to make more sense financially. (I'm surprised you remembered that post).

In regards to status, I'm looking for three things in my car 1. Performance/Handling/Feel (50%) 2. Reliable sports car (25%), 3. Status/style piece (25%)...

Luke
Since you have $30 - $40K to spend, I agree with Duder13 regarding maintenance. For used cars, reliability should be at the top of your list, and certainly not in the middle. That $40K 997 you purchase will not have the maintenance expenses of a $40K car. It will have the maintenance expenses of a nearly $100K car. Absent knowledge about the cars in question, it's always safer to buy the newest used Porsche that you can afford. When buying a used Porsche without a warranty, you should reserve at least $5K for repairs. That may sound like a lot, but for Porsches it's minimal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Based on this being important, it's a track car. You couldn't possibility be doing 0-60 at full throttle very often on the street, and top speed, never.

On the other hand, you say the "4ish" seats are a plus. Not sure that help on the track.

Kind of confused.:burnout:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts