Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would go with the mid engine. And who cares what other people think anyway. You are the one doing the driving after all! And besides the 911 looks like a Beetle from the front especially at night with the headlights turned on :p

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You asked your question on a Boxster/Cayman, what do you think your answer is going to be? Did you post the same thread on rennlist/6speedonline? If you did, your answer is going to be a overwhelming 997. Get what you want and not what other's think. If that really matters, get the 997, 90% of the population don't know what year it is, they just know it's a 911, you will get more status.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You asked your question on a Boxster/Cayman, what do you think your answer is going to be? Did you post the same thread on rennlist/6speedonline? If you did, your answer is going to be a overwhelming 997. Get what you want and not what other's think. If that really matters, get the 997, 90% of the population don't know what year it is, they just know it's a 911, you will get more status.
But those 90% of the population also wouldn't know that a Boxster/Cayman is not a 911 so for them the status would be the same no matter if one drives a 911 or a Boxster/Cayman. They see a Porsche (that's not an SUV) and think it's $100k+

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, the "poor man's porsche" is now a cliche if you've actually done your research. The original 1996 Boxster that saved the company from bankruptcy gained that moniker, by allowing others to afford a Porsche vs only the 911 as a choice. A Look Back at the Car that Saved Porsche: 20 Years of the Boxster

The brand has now grown to the present offering today to please everyones tastes and needs. However, the newer boxsters have many improvments, new engine as mentioned and fewer problems than earlier models. I had the same question as you, and went with a mid engine vs the 911, like you said they corner very well, but my my main reason was the newer 2012 that I picked up, it's an S, and I wanted a convertable in South FL vs a Coupe Cayman. I just prefer the look over a 911 actually.

I also wanted the two boots and extra storage for trips vs stuffing **** in the 2 "seats" of a 911. I have had nothing but complements driving around and everywhere I stop. Get the new version 987.2 Boxster, you will be pleased. Some on here longer than me, have posted they have none or very few problems with the 987.2 in Cayman or Boxster - same car, just coupe vs rag-top convertible that was based on James Deans 550 Spyder! A good ECM mod tuning and some exhaust mod and you have close to a 911 anyway in power and TQ. Good luck in your choice....it's fast enough for me in an S anyway!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
But those 90% of the population also wouldn't know that a Boxster/Cayman is not a 911 so for them the status would be the same no matter if one drives a 911 or a Boxster/Cayman. They see a Porsche (that's not an SUV) and think it's $100k+
My Boxster gets mistaken for a Ferrari more than a Porsche actually. The iconic 911 design rarely gets mistaken with the Boxster, maybe a Cayman idk.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts