Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Cargraphics 200 cell cats and PSE sounds great on my car. Quite with valves closed and fantastic with them open. Good hp/to pick up in all ranges. They are also a work of art !

Cman21

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I think my FVD Brombacher Sport Headers sound perfect with PSE, open or closed. I also added the older Fabspeed non-X style tips.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
The responses so far prove that the best header for your car is the one you like best, and won't necessarily be the one someone else likes. They all sound different. Cargraphics certainly has a great reputation and gets very good reviews. Fabspeed also are well made and have sold well. There's also Dundon. The CG and Dundon headers are "long tube" while the FS are short tube design. The FS tend to sound higher pitched. Some think they sound more like a race car, although I've heard many race cars that had a lower pitch to the exhaust. You really should try to hear each one yourself (there are Youtube videos, but it's hard to really tell what the true sound is given the variation in recording methods and quality.) Good luck. BTW, they will cost you around $3000...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Which header + pse is the best sound do you guys think? Cayman 981 S.

Not to rain on a parade, but sound is not the real reason to get headers. Rather, it's for performance gains and there is a difference between the long tube and short tube in that regard. The CG (long tube)are designed for mid-range torque increase (obviously high end HP too) -- which is better for street use. If it is a race car, you have different objectives....

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Although I have FabSpeed headers, I would agree with inkatouring by saying if I had to do it over again, I would get the CG headers with the removable cat (just released in early 2017). I don't know if they are shipping yet, but it's really the best of all worlds--cat for street driving with no CEL, and bolt in a straight pipe (all 6" of it!) when you get to the track...terrific!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got Agency Power headers in the mail today, will install in a couple weeks on my 981 BS. I already have an AP exhaust, hopefully I'll make some before and after video/audio files.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@James III Where at in MD are you? I'd like the hear the AP exhaust & Headers once you get them on. @stixlr8 where are you in PA I'd like to hear your headers also :) Do you guys think a tune/ECU Flash is good for these cars or would you not recommend it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
@James III Where at in MD are you? I'd like the hear the AP exhaust & Headers once you get them on. @stixlr8 where are you in PA I'd like to hear your headers also :) Do you guys think a tune/ECU Flash is good for these cars or would you not recommend it?
I'm in Howard County a few minutes south of Columbia. I think a tune is a great thing for these cars. My final step will be a Cobb Accessport with Fabspeed protune.

812 Posts
Our Sport Headers for the 981 are one of our best-selling products and are really a perfect upgrade for both sound improvement and noticeable power gains. In fact, pairing them with the PSE is one of the best-sounding combinations you can possibly get on the 981, so you're in great shape. I have lost count of how many of my close friends in the Porsche community are running that setup, and they all love it.

The German-made 200-cell HJS cats that we use in the Sport Headers are the best cats that money can buy, and offer much better flow characteristics without triggering any check engine lights or causing any issues with emissions.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any additional data or insight. We have lots of videos and dyno results available on our website: Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Sport Headers - Fabspeed Motorsport

I love working with forum members, including special member pricing, so shoot me a PM and we can chat!

My final step will be a Cobb Accessport with Fabspeed protune.
Let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger on the COBB. I'll get you all set up!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I'm about 30 mi NW of Philly. I have the Cobb AccessPort and was running the OTS stage 2 tune, until I started getting an engine fault when the temps turned really cold this winter. Power and torque gains were noticeable. I plan on going to Fabspeed for a custom tune this spring.

Reactions: Fabspeed Motorsport

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think my FVD Brombacher Sport Headers sound perfect with PSE, open or closed. I also added the older Fabspeed non-X style tips.

I am very interested in the FVD headers but see that alot of others choose cargraphic headers instead. I beleve the designs look the same and they claim to use the same cats so what is the difference between the two?

·
Vendor
292 Posts
The difference is the manufacturers. We use M&M Exhaust, GmbH. They are a premier manufacturer of race exhausts in Europe. They are the current manufacturer of the RSR, Cup R and Super Cup exhaust, they also manufacture for some of the largest race teams in Europe. All of their race experience in manufacturing exhaust goes into every thing that they produce. We have worked with many manufacturers in Germany over the past 35+ years and in our opinion the M&M product produces the most power, is the most reliable for street or track use and has a truly exotic race sound.

Specifically for the 981.1 header line, M&M uses T316 lightweight stainless and has a merge collector design that flows directly into the cat, the flow is not reduced until after the cat. This design helps to make more torque. We also combine that with a 42mm primary diameter to increase velocity. The primary design cats we use are the latest HJS Tri-metallic HD's. The welding techniques are the same that are used for motorsports systems.

Hope that info helps you.

Thanks,
Rhonda

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I am very interested in the FVD headers but see that alot of others choose cargraphic headers instead. I beleve the designs look the same and they claim to use the same cats so what is the difference between the two?
I will just emphasize what Rhonda said. I was impressed with the design and manufacture of the FVD headers. Specifically the thick double plated flange, the segmented and welded primary tubes (not mandrel-bent), which are 2.5 inches in diameter (the Cargraphic are 2 inches), and their merge collector. The FVDs are more expensive but worth it IMO. BTW, Rhonda was a pleasure to work with.

Reactions: squeaks5635
812 Posts
For everyone's reference my first order of business with my Cayman R (same factory engine/exhaust as 981) was ditching the factory headers and software (biggest area of restriction on our cars) for our Race Headers/Protune with my factory PSE. I actually did a full write up on the project and posted my Phase 1 Thread for us all to use as educated on this combination of upgrades. The sound...in my opinion it is perfection. Throaty, exotic, with just the right sound level and the ability to close the valves for what I believe to be near factory level interior noise with no drone that I could detect. Cherry on top was it absolutely transformed the performance, which isn't surprising considering it picked up 27whp on our dyno. The only reason I swapped out the factory PSE for our Valvetronic Exhaust System for my Phase 2 Thread was to squeeze every bit of power I could for the track. Sounds like a cup car now which is awesome, but as for generally the perfect exhaust note...our Headers/PSE is the golden ticket.Along with countless others here on P9, I can also personally attest to the quality of our headers as I have put over 9000 "driven" miles to and from a dozen track days/autocrosses this past season. They performed flawlessly, and let me tell you my buddy in his stock GT4 was a bummed out I was pulling him on the straight at NYST lol (video below).

Factory Headers vs Fabspeed

Dyno of Race Header/Protune

Some Videos of Our Race Header/PSE Combo (more videos on my youtube channel from the first video)

Video Battling GT4 at NYST

Attachments

812 Posts
I'm about 30 mi NW of Philly. I have the Cobb AccessPort and was running the OTS stage 2 tune, until I started getting an engine fault when the temps turned really cold this winter. Power and torque gains were noticeable. I plan on going to Fabspeed for a custom tune this spring.
That sounds fantastic William, and I appreciate the business! Perks of the COBB Accessport is your ability to record your ECU's datalog, we can actually accomplish your protune via email from the comfort of your own home :) That being said you are a stones throw from us, please come stop by sometime if you havent already! I'll give you a tour of the place, and perhaps we can meet up for cars or coffee or a track day!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm positive all the brands mentioned previously are excellent and will deliver improvements in sound and performance. I like the look of the FVD Brombacher headers with 200 cell cats. I decided to order them for two reasons. First, I prefer the quality of the T316 steel they use over the T304/L steel, should resist rust better. Secondly, I already have the FVD tune and they are sending me an updated tune to cater for the headers which should hopefully provide an enhanced result for the tune and headers combined (maybe I'm an optimist!).

I love the tune and will report back when the headers are fitted (have PSE, PDK and SC already).

Cheers Les

Reactions: ddodd

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very happy with the product! Also had a stage 2 tune installed. ��

IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4631.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
FVD Brombacher headers with cats. Price was more expensive than you can get in America or Europe because I had to freight them in to australia and pay some high taxes for the privilege! But it was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cayman Ed
1 - 20 of 38 Posts