Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
FVD Brombacher headers with cats. Price was more expensive than you can get in America or Europe because I had to freight them in to australia and pay some high taxes for the privilege! But it was worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how different is the sound? I have the PSE and like the sound now. Not looking for a drastic change. What do you think?

brad

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have PSE too, I liked the sound before the headers, but I love the sound now. It’s deeper and a bit nastier, if you have PSE switched off, then it’s what the stock pipes should have sounded like from the factory IMHO, not crazy but sweeter; but with PSE switched on, the sound is fabulous. YMMV. good luck either way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have PSE too, I liked the sound before the headers, but I love the sound now. It’s deeper and a bit nastier, if you have PSE switched off, then it’s what the stock pipes should have sounded like from the factory IMHO, not crazy but sweeter; but with PSE switched on, the sound is fabulous. YMMV. good luck either way!
I wasn't even thinking about the FVD's but dam they look nice. The craftsmanship is spot on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wasn't even thinking about the FVD's but dam they look nice. The craftsmanship is spot on.
That’s what I thought, and they only use higher quality T316 steel, rather than T304/L, it’s more expensive to use T316, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any difference btwn the cayman S oem headers vs base 2.7? Are they the same like the exhaust?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
They are indeed the same headers :)
Ok, so I have a little 2.7 liter. I found a used IPD plenum and an 82mm throttle body for half price. Added the FVD software for a noticeable performance increase. I'm not a track rat but would like to be. Time will tell. I know the S is detuned but, how about the base. Are there any base owners out there that have added headers and what were the results. I did find a set of used Cargraphic headers and mufflers for an exceptionally reasonable price and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger.
This thread is a couple years old so I'm hoping I can find someone to jump back in. TIA dlbehrns
P.S. Pedro/Garage tells me the base is the best bang for the buck because you get 100 hrspwr for every liter. Can I get over 300+ ponies?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the Soul catless race headers and the FVD Brombacher Sound muffler; and Softronic ECU flash. Superb quality and sound, huge performance gains. Great for track and street.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hope I can rev up this thread: as I mentioned earlier I have installed IPD, 82mm TB, K-N filters and FVD tune. I'm hoping a technically minded Porschite can jump in. I would like to add street headers because I don't want the stink. My first choice would be the FVD street headers w/200 cell cats. Too much $ for my pocket book even though FVD will upgrade the tune at no cost. My second choice would be Soul Performance of the same variety however, FVD will cost me $500 for the software upgrade because its not their product. I get it.
I've done enough homework to know that the biggest restriction in the exhaust laminar airflow is the cat. Both use the same 200 cell cats. I expected to pay more money for Porsche upgrades when I bought the car but, still try to make intelligent decisions to save money. If I go with SP + $500 I will save some money. If I go with no software update I save more $.
My million dollar question is: given that I already have the software update to go with the plenum and TB, what would I really be gaining in a software update to accommodate a set of headers. In my feeble tight a$$ mind I'm thinking, hell, do I really need the second software update? It can't make that much difference anyway. Or can it?
I could install the SP headers and if the 200 cell cats throw a CEL? Ok FVD, I give. You win. LOL TIA dlb

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hope I can rev up this thread: as I mentioned earlier I have installed IPD, 82mm TB, K-N filters and FVD tune. I'm hoping a technically minded Porschite can jump in. I would like to add street headers because I don't want the stink. My first choice would be the FVD street headers w/200 cell cats. Too much $ for my pocket book even though FVD will upgrade the tune at no cost. My second choice would be Soul Performance of the same variety however, FVD will cost me $500 for the software upgrade because its not their product. I get it.
I've done enough homework to know that the biggest restriction in the exhaust laminar airflow is the cat. Both use the same 200 cell cats. I expected to pay more money for Porsche upgrades when I bought the car but, still try to make intelligent decisions to save money. If I go with SP + $500 I will save some money. If I go with no software update I save more $.
My million dollar question is: given that I already have the software update to go with the plenum and TB, what would I really be gaining in a software update to accommodate a set of headers. In my feeble tight a$$ mind I'm thinking, hell, do I really need the second software update? It can't make that much difference anyway. Or can it?
I could install the SP headers and if the 200 cell cats throw a CEL? Ok FVD, I give. You win. LOL TIA dlb
I vote for Soul with both hands, because I've had their street headers for 3 years now and I love them; and because Soul warranty covers them even for track use!
Call up Soul and see if they throw in their tune with the purchase of their headers.
Without proper tune, you will get CEL with 200-cel cats, maybe not right away, but it will come up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
FVD usually gives a discount for forum members, which I found brings them into closer price competition with the other top brand headers. Did you check with Rhonda at FVD?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did talk to Rhonda but even with 10% off the street headers that puts them in at $1K over SP with same discount. And the good news is: I just talked to John Gaydos and as long as I had the ECU updated after the addition of the IPD and 82mm TB I don't need another tune after adding headers because the the increase in laminar airflow with be adapted by the ECU in a short time. When you change the fuel mixture that's when you have to change the software.

·
Registered
73 Posts
these look like a SP clone from the UK. anyone seen these around or is there a review out there?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts