Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase front and rear no/low dust brake pads for my 2015 Cayman base. Is there a consences on the best ones and where to purchase at the best price. I'm a driver not a racer so performance is secondary to the dusting. :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm curious too, for when the OEM pads need to be replaced. I have to check my notes, but I think it was EBP Green Stuff (?) pads I put on the Honda S2000 and the dust issue cleared up with no degradation of stopping ability.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Looking to purchase front and rear no/low dust brake pads for my 2015 Cayman base. Is there a consences on the best ones and where to purchase at the best price. I'm a driver not a racer so performance is secondary to the dusting. :)
I think a good part of brake dust is due to the rotor material being worn, so I don't know if you can really attack brake dust completely without going to carbon rotors. I'm sure some pads are better than others (with respect to dust), but I don't like the idea of giving up any braking performance for the sake of less dust (even on the street). If dust-less pads existed and were just as good, Porsche would have fit them from the factory.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think a good part of brake dust is due to the rotor material being worn, so I don't know if you can really attack brake dust completely without going to carbon rotors. I'm sure some pads are better than others (with respect to dust), but I don't like the idea of giving up any braking performance for the sake of less dust (even on the street). If dust-less pads existed and were just as good, Porsche would have fit them from the factory.
+1!
-Richard

·
Registered
15 Posts
tiger1964 is correct EBP green stuff pads are great. Been using for years.Very little dust if any that's good for all of us.With out hurting performance.That would be an up grade to what Porsche puts on.(grant)However Tirerack can tell you that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the best non dusting pads are the ROTORA stock size brake pads.. there is a thread here of two my costomers that are very happy with their compound.. the color is a light grey and are not dark like the stock pads. i have the S on stock..but the regular cayman or base is two days away..

Lemon

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
here is what he said at
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-service-tech/101803-ceramic-brake-pads-981-cayman-s-front-wheels.html.

"I found the ceramic brake pads I needed.

They were supplied by our Silver Sponsor, Schnell Autosports. Our fellow poster, Lemon, gave me a complete rundown on the Rotora brand ceramic brake pads.

The price was very fair, too.

So I ordered the H2 brake pads. Shipping took a few days from Rancho Cucamonga, California to South Carolina. (Yes, there really is a Rancho Cucamonga. I drove through there last year in my Chevy truck.)

After an easy installation I tried them out.

No noise! I expected some brake squeal initially, but there was none. Deceleration was stronger than the stock pads with the same pedal pressure. Coming to a complete stop is smoother than the stock pads, which stop with a final lurch.

Very little dust. The dust is grey, not black, and visually blends in on the aluminum wheel surfaces.

A hard stop from 60 mph was strong. However, since the air temperature was below 50 degrees F the Goodyear tires lost their grip and the ABS engaged. So I had to curtail testing.

If you need brake parts, call Schnell Autosports. See what they have to offer.

Support our sponsors."

·
Incurable Gearhead
963 Posts
the best non dusting pads are the ROTORA stock size brake pads.. there is a thread here of two my costomers that are very happy with their compound.. the color is a light grey and are not dark like the stock pads. i have the S on stock..but the regular cayman or base is two days away..

Lemon
Good to know! I'm gonna order a set of these when it comes time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think a good part of brake dust is due to the rotor material being worn, so I don't know if you can really attack brake dust completely without going to carbon rotors.
I'm probably not helping by mentioning that PCCB produce almost zero dust. I'm almost as happy about that as their longevity on track. I've had cars with very dirty brakes for a long time, I like the novelty of clean brakes.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Non dusting = non stopping. Your replacement pads will increase stopping distances and have lower mileage life.

I thought the initial bite on the OE pads was terrible so I switched to a high dust pad, the Portersfield R4S. And I have white wheels. Just get your car washed to remove dust.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Non dusting doesn't necessarily mean non stopping. Ceramics are good at stopping and no dust. (Like PCCBs.)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Right. Non dusting pads on steel rotors. Ceramics are a whole different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sounds like we have multiple options... alas, I'm probably not going to replace pads for 24 months so the fun part is remembering this thread.

Just get your car washed to remove dust.
+1, with a qualifier. In my experience with the S2000 (sorry, I haven't had the Boxster long enough to comment): when the wheels get dirty at a rate of 2x-3x the rest of the car, plus the worries of brake dust possibly damaging the wheel finish, it's fair to consider taking action.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts