Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 08 CS that's bone stock. May do DE eventually but its a weekend driver now.

Want to do oiling mod - what's the best way to go? What brands who do I buy from? I'm local to TPC kind of, should I have them do this?

What about IMS I've heard mixed things on this for the 08 CS.

Lastly with this used mostly on street what's best clutch.

Any other must do for reliability?

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i found european oil like.. liqui moly and total..and peniston works better than american oil.. and mobile one in europe is a different formula than here in the us..

lemon

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I've got a 08 CS that's bone stock. May do DE eventually but its a weekend driver now.

Want to do oiling mod - what's the best way to go? What brands who do I buy from? I'm local to TPC kind of, should I have them do this?

What about IMS I've heard mixed things on this for the 08 CS.

Lastly with this used mostly on street what's best clutch.

Any other must do for reliability?

Thanks all

I'm assuming you've searched the forum to answer to these questions as I know there is a plethora of information on those subjects already posted.... :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think he's asking about what OIL to use, but oiling mods, such as direct pressure oil to the IMS bearing.

I've searched plenty but I don't see this being a redundant thread. For those of us with the M97 3.4 engine, useful discussions on deep sumps, baffles, other pan mods etc are helpful. Especially since most of the treads I've seen are 3-4+ years old, there may be new products on the market, some some older ones no longer available.

I'd like to do DE days in my BS as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just want to know what's worked best overtime as its probably diff than what was the best in 06.

I have read every thread on these topics and still am unclear as I hear diff opinions on each.

Maybe someone can share wisdom and experience. I've read 100s of threads on here before even buying the car and am not sure.

Thank you
Glenn

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just want to know what's worked best overtime as its probably diff than what was the best in 06.

I have read every thread on these topics and still am unclear as I hear diff opinions on each.

Maybe someone can share wisdom and experience instead of teaching me about the search button and liking the comment about search button . I've read 100s of threads on here before even buying the car and am not sure.

Thank you
Glenn
From my experience and wisdom I say; trade your car in for an 09 CS or newer if you want to safely track your car.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
i found european oil like.. liqui moly and total..and peniston works better than american oil.. and mobile one in europe is a different formula than here in the us..

lemon
Better? In the context of OPs original question - How? And you're saying the Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40 is not the same (implying not as good) as Porsche fills the engines in Europe? Source please - otherwise I call BS. I know you like to push the stuff you sell and you try to hijack threads every chance. OP wasn't asking which oil to use.

OP, AFA clutch - for street use, no reason not to use OEM (except maybe $$$$) Most aftermarket parts are aimed at track/performance applications, which are not necessarily better for street use.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts

Maybe someone can share wisdom and experience. I've read 100s of threads on here before even buying the car and am not sure.

Thank you
Glenn

Well let me give you the FINAL answer you can take to the bank then. There is NO 100% guaranteed solution for solving the oiling/engine problems for 2006-2008 engines. You can add a deep sump pan, different swirl pots, extra scavenging pumps, motorsports AOD, extra oil resevoirs, accusumps, etc. and none of them are a guarantee that you won't crater your motor at some point. Engines with all of them have failed at some point, but of course the manufacturer of each is going to tell you that they think theirs will solve your problem, and depending upon a variety of factors such as how hard you run your engine and for how long, etc. one of those items may be just enough to prevent your engine from failing, or not, there's no way to know for certain.

You could add ALL of those preventative measures and someone probably has, but that get's expensive and as someone said above you might be better off just trading for a 09 or newer car if you plan to track your car with any regularity or to track it hard.

You could only use street tires to prevent pulling more G's as well, but that might not be as much fun.

So when I ask if you've read the other threads it isn't only to see if in fact you had searched, but also if you've read them and had any decisions as to which way you might be leaning for any particularly oiling/engine modification.

BTW it isn't going to matter one bit what oil you use if you suck air on the track you are going to blow a motor.

I don't know that there is any specific order in which to do oiling mods, only opinions on the matter. I can give you my opinion based on blowing my engine.

1) You need oil, so having a deeper sump pan is a good idea in my opinion, I had one, it didn't save my engine.
2) You need oil flow, specifically oil return, I think one or more additional scavenging pumps are a good idea, but they happen to be expensive.
3) You need to keep air out of your oil so I think the Motorsports AOS is also a good idea to have.

I would probably order them 2,3,1 in priority but again, that's just my opinion, I'm sure others may suggest differently, but whatever they suggest, know that there is no magic silver bullet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Going back to the OP's original post, based on the comment above I would do nothing. Regarding the two areas where you are looking for guidance (in reverse order):

Clutch

For street or occasional DE use, the stock clutch is probably your best bet. If you are looking for hundredth's of a second in lap times, a lightweight clutch will let the motor spin up a little faster, but at the expense of smoothness in normal driving. A small gain not worth the effort and $ IMO unless you already need to replace the clutch. [On my track/race car, I will continue to run the stock clutch until it needs replacing or I have the motor/tranny out for another reason.]

Oiling Mods

Again, for your stated use I don't see a lot of benefit to spending money on modifications. Good ones are not cheap, and frankly there is no definitive data on the effectiveness of the mods or even the causes of "oil related" engine failures. The only ones who may have good information (Porsche) ain't talking. If you're not a track junkie, I'd keep it as is and take good care of it.

Early on I knew that my car would be primarily a track car, and "researched" the limited information out there regarding engine failures and oiling mods. I added (in this order) a TTP scavenging pump kit, deep sump, and motorsports AOS. If I was not planning to push the car hard on the track (and if my AOS had not been overwhelmed), I would have made none of these modifications.

In addition (and I think this is significant), my motor is 100% stock (ok, I installed an underdrive pulley to slow the accessory belt, but this hardly puts added stress on the motor). Stock intake, stock exhaust, stock ECS tune, and stock redline. Modified engines, particularly with aftermarket tunes that increase the redline, add more stress to rods, bearings, and rod bolts, where these failures normally occur.

My car is competitive and gets pushed about as hard as possible on R-comp tires (NT-01). 31,000 miles currently, about half of which are hard track miles - a much different use profile than what the OP has in mind. Have the modifications I made saved me from engine failure so far, or has my driving been easier on the motor than some others, or have I just been lucky? I have no idea. When the motor eventually fails (which I expect it will), I will build a more race-worthy motor with upgraded internals. Until then, I'll keep racing and enjoying the stock motor.

My 2 cents for the OP: just keep enjoying the car as is unless you turn into a track junkie and really start to modify the car.
:cheers:

·
Registered
182 Posts
All of the above......plus, don't bounce it off the rev limiter. Be nice and shift a little early. It will NOT affect your lap times in the least, or the fun factor, if you're just a weekend DE'er.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Driving habit is probably the BEST, CHEAPEST, and HARDEST thing that will help preserver your engine. High rpm's in the corners are what killed an '87 928 engine of mine, whereas my 81 928 took that same abuse without a whimper. The current engine oils are just not as protective as oils from before 2002. You are driving by wire, so just keep to a lower gear and let the car do the heavy lifting. RE:, the IMS, PM me about that one if you wish to be an insider to new tech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts