Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to part ways with my Cayman. Nothing wrong, it has been a perfect daily driver for the past 3 1/2 years, but I commute to work now and don't drive it so I'm not doing another 16 months of car payments for something that gets taken out on Sundays only. I made an autotrader ad for it but also wanted to post in this forum but it looks like the classifieds are all parts? Is there a section for cars for sale I'm missing?

·
Registered
574 Posts
You just post the ad in Panjo. I don't know if there is a category but I listed my car in there a few months ago. You might also try the PCA classifieds, Rennlist, and Facebook marketplace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cars.com. They have a pretty good selection and it's easy to do a national search and set up auto reminders. That's what where I look when I'm in the market. Also list it on your local Craigslist. I've found a couple cars there.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I guess it would depend on how you're defining "best". The last couple cars I've sold (non-Porsche), I've just driven to Carmax and taken whatever they give me. Both times I thought they were fair. I'm sure I get far from top-dollar, but there is no hassle and the car is immediately gone from my driveway - that has been "best" for me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would go with all the regular venues but the specialized forums usually bring more serious buyers for obvious reasons. These are specific cars and require specific audience. I advertised my S2000 with 24K miles in pristine condition extensively for couple of months. Nothing much - just the regular lowballers. I posted it in the S2000 forum and car was gone in a week for more than the asking price.

·
Registered
185 Posts
when I sold my 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV I did the following

1. ad in the national Alfa club magazine
2. ad in the closest 3 or 4 regional Alfa club newsletters
3. ads in the two most popular Alfa forums
4. I sent a physical ad to local Alfa repair shops in case they had customers looking for a car

I got leads from 1, 2, and 3 and sold to someone from 2. Sale took about 2 months from starting to place the ads to completed sale

I took a similar route selling a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero and got leads from 2 and 3 and sold to someone from 3, Sale took about a month from starting to place the ads to completed sale.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If I were selling my car, I would do it via consignment sale with a good local consignment dealer. I'm retired and back and forth between Orlando and Chicago each year. When up North my dealer there charges $1300, and when down South, he charges $1500. The nice thing is they do the advertising for me for the money, and they have an established clientele of repeat buyers And they take all the calls, emails and paperwork for me. When it sells at a price I agree with, all I do is go in to sign the final paperwork and collect my check. I can put up some extra ads for them in places they might not advertise, like Panorama and Panjo, but with their name and phone number. Works great for me. You just need to find a good one near you...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Consignment seller is a good idea. But first go to Carmax for a free estimate/offer. I also go on several websites to estimate the market value. You can plug in details into KKB, Edmunds, autoblog, etc. to get private sale value vs trade-in value. Other websites can give you comparables and you figure out variances with options and zipcode (west coast good). There are lots of options to post an ad online (autotrader, cars.com, truecar, etc).
I recently sold my MBZ E63 through Carmax. I probably lost $1k-$2k, but it was hassle free. I read a not-so-funny story of a guy trying to sell his high-performance MBZ. A young man arrived to do the test drive and he drove the car like a maniac, then explained the car was not affordable for him but he enjoyed the drive. I don't have time for that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
.... I recently sold my MBZ E63 through Carmax. I probably lost $1k-$2k, but it was hassle free. I read a not-so-funny story of a guy trying to sell his high-performance MBZ. A young man arrived to do the test drive and he drove the car like a maniac, then explained the car was not affordable for him but he enjoyed the drive. I don't have time for that.
Yep, suggested that earlier. I have probably sold a dozen or so cars privately, and it has always been a hassle. Lots of phone calls all hours of the day and night, people coming over, then coming back, then saying no, etc., etc.. And the calls continue long after the car has been sold. The last two cars, I just drove to Carmax, thought their quote was fair, and drove home with a check and a big smile. Top dollar - no, fair deal - yes. When I bought my 07 Cayman from a private party a couple years ago, the price we agreed on was the same price he said Carmax offered him. Glad he waited for me!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Some people seem to relish the challenge of a private sale. Personally, I would prefer having the family jewels hammered with a tire tool than ever do it again. An ad for an exotic or high-end car is like an irresistible attraction for every ignorant, chiseling bastard out there, most of whom couldn't really afford the car at half the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found mine on CarGurus. I'd like to think I made the experience pretty easy for the seller. He was very happy I could drive stick when I got out there for a test drive. Apparently some other people were struggling.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Some people seem to relish the challenge of a private sale. Personally, I would prefer having the family jewels hammered with a tire tool than ever do it again. An ad for an exotic or high-end car is like an irresistible attraction for every ignorant, chiseling bastard out there, most of whom couldn't really afford the car at half the price.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LOL....

Hope I don't resemble that statement. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.