Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some good scenic roads to enjoy this fall around the Chicago area. I am looking for good foliage and winding roads with several levels of inclination if possible. I was considering heading towards the border between Illinois and Wisconsin but there might be something else near the city that could work.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Can anyone recommend some good scenic roads to enjoy this fall around the Chicago area. I am looking for good foliage and winding roads with several levels of inclination if possible. I was considering heading towards the border between Illinois and Wisconsin but there might be something else near the city that could work.

Thanks.
Sub:

I'm not sure where you are in Chicago or how far you want to drive.

If you're looking for a great weekend trip, I can give you a route to Lacrosse, WI that will rock your world. Lunch in New Glarus, WI then Stay at Holiday Inn Lacrosse. They have covered parking with direct access into the hotel. Lots of restaurants and college bars and an ice cream shop walking distance from there.

After you get to the Marengo exit on 90, there is no more interstate for the whole day...mostly 2 lane roads. Let me know if that one interests you. It'll take me a while to write it out.

Some short trips worth doing are Sheridan Rd, especially the "Ravine" area is really pretty and twisty, but it doesn't last long. Keep going on it and you'll see a lot of very fine neighborhoods. Sheridan Rd. goes along the North Shore. Take Lake Shore Drive North to the end...Evanston. Then catch Sheridan and watch the signs for turns... Lake Forest is insanely upscale and beautiful.

A day trip might be Starved Rock. I know the back way out there along the I-M canal. Kinda fun.

Let me know what you want. I'll publish it on this site so others can enjoy.

:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info. I am looking for a nice winding road with nice trees around. Different elevations and not a lot of cops around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The Fox River valley can be a fun drive. also don't forget Lake Geneva/Delavan/Como. Beautiful, hilly and lots of curves. As a kid, I used to take the back roads - can't remember which any more. I know it included rt47 through Woodstock ("Groundhog Day").

If you want a longer trip - the Kettle Moraine State Forest (near Waukesha - sorta between Milwaukee and Madison) has some scenic drives that are amazing.

+1 on Sheridan Road - when I lived downtown - one of my favorite things on a Sunday was up LSD to Sheridan and wander up to Racine.

Don't forget the South Shore - Indiana and/or Michigan Dunes & and the drive along Rt12. Stop by New Buffalo, MI for a nice small Harbor town. Check out the wineries in S. Michigan. All a little over 1.5hr from downtown Chi.

Cripes - I'm getting homesick:(

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
The Fox River valley can be a fun drive. also don't forget Lake Geneva/Delavan/Como. Beautiful, hilly and lots of curves. As a kid, I used to take the back roads - can't remember which any more. I know it included rt47 through Woodstock ("Groundhog Day").

If you want a longer trip - the Kettle Moraine State Forest (near Waukesha - sorta between Milwaukee and Madison) has some scenic drives that are amazing.

+1 on Sheridan Road - when I lived downtown - one of my favorite things on a Sunday was up LSD to Sheridan and wander up to Racine.

Don't forget the South Shore - Indiana and/or Michigan Dunes & and the drive along Rt12. Stop by New Buffalo, MI for a nice small Harbor town. Check out the wineries in S. Michigan. All a little over 1.5hr from downtown Chi.

Cripes - I'm getting homesick:(
RS:

Well, it'll probably help your homesickness some to know that Rt. 47 through Woodstock is one of the most congested strip-mall strewn roads in the NW boonies. I avoid it. Things have obviously changed!

Sheridan Rd. is not a carefree romp, it's very beautiful and interesting...especially on a day like to day...Best Fall day I can remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts