Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just bought a used Boxster yesterday. I will post pics once I get the car detailed and looking a little better. My only complaint is the stereo. I guess with a Bose system in a Porsche, I was expecting something extremely loud (which I like). Needless to say, the stock stereo won't cut it.

I've seen some other posts of folks installing their own which I'm not comfortable doing. I plan to take it to a reliable place here in town and was wondering what the best set up would be? I know this varies but I need it loud with some bass (mostly listen to metal music).

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
http://www.planet-9.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61501&d=1437742570

Congratulations on your purchase, you will love the car.

I just upgraded the stereo in my 07 BS a couple of weeks ago.

I installed a Kenwood DNX892HD - double DIN with NAV
I used an interface kit that allows you to use the existing speakers, Bose amp and MOST cabling system..
I added a XMSIRIUS receiver
You will also need an antenna adapter and a face plate kit.

I always have difficulty adding pics, but if you look at the general 987 forum I have a pic posted of the completed install under Road trip London Ont- pigeon forge..

I am really happy with the installation other than the XM antenna needs to be moved due to poor reception and you lose fade control. Otherwise I love the fact I have hands free, blue tooth, NAV etc. etc.. The electronics finally feels up to par with the car.

If you like the set up let me know and I will look up the part numbers for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
in my 2005 Boxster, I went for a replacement of HU and amp and kept stock Bose speakers.My set up was relatively inexpensive (about $750 all in ) for 2 din Nav, dash install kit, harness, etc. Only change i would make is to get a apple play or android auto HU and use my smart phone in lieu of stand alone, as it has updated nav and music all the time. Plenty loud with bass that i have to use a volume control on because i get sometime too much boom

IMO, the Boxster is a bit noisier than the Cayman so true "audiophile" set up is not required. Besides, I couldn't justify a higher priced system in a car that is not worth a whole lot. Just on a practical side, if you go with a 2 Din touchscreen HU, I opted for a knob for volume control instead of a full touch screen. i have found that the knob is easier to use and when driving with the top down, sun and glare can often make the screen hard to see and control

1 - 3 of 3 Posts