Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all bought a 2013 Boxster S with 20 inch wheels. Right now with 16,000 miles the Pirelli doe not have much thread left. Planning on pleasure driving and track driving about 50/50. So what is the best street/track tire available for 20inch wheels? Right now it is not feasible to get a second set of 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires for track use only. Heard some pros and cons about using Michelin Plot tires on the track but any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
798 Posts
From what I gathered the best bet is Michelin SS for both street and track...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
From what I gathered the best bet is Michelin SS for both street and track...

Agreed. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are on my boss' 2015 Corvette. Looks to have decent tread for street.

Public Safety Announcement: Please be aware that any street/track tire will be a compromise in extremely wet or snowy conditions. In that case, winter tires are recommended (I know you don't have or want a second set of rims). PSM will disable cruise control and other features if it detects slippage of any tires on a wet/snowy road, so you may not have all the protections that you may think you have.

PSM can be dangerous in itself. Twice it has nearly wrecked me. First time, I was driving about 50MPH on a dry road that heavy trucks had rutted the road (wash board type surface). The right side/wheel track undulation was worse than the leftside/wheel track. PSM saw uneven wheel slippage and braked the car, turning it hard right off the road (thinking it was keeping me straight). It took all my force to hold the car straight and overcome the braking. It continued about 1/2 mile until the ruts in the road went away. A second time, I was in the mountains on an interstate highway at 70 MPH and it was raining/wet. As I turned to follow the road around the mountain, PSM braked the car straight, putting me into the next lane and nearly into a car. I kept turning the steering wheel further and further left and the car kept going straight! I let off the throttle and finally at 45 MPH, PSM let go (I assume because the traction recovered and wheels turned the same) and I regained steering.

I reported both incidents to my local dealer to send to PCNA. Dealer did a complete check of the braking system and no codes in the computer were found.

I use Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires for winter and they are great and I have never experienced a PSM issue, even driving on 3/4" standing water.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are lots of options, it just depends on how much you favor street versus track. If it's really 50/50 then MPSS is a great starting point.

Bridgestone RE-11 and Yoko AD08r are the next step up. Still good street tires, just a bit harsher and louder, and not quite the same level of brilliant wet handling as MPSS. Not sure about 20" availability, but I haven't seen a huge difference in characteristics between 18" and 19" so I assume observations are good for 20". There are others in the same class as these two that should be fine as well, I just don't have experience with them.

Bridgestone has a new RE-71r tire out now that is even stickier, and is the current favorite for autoX. Other brands will follow next year I'm sure. Supposed to be very sticky and supposed to wear out pretty quick as well. The 200 tire wear rating seems like a bit of a fib. I have them on my 19" rims now and hit the track with them for the first time on Friday. On the road they seem reasonable, although they make funny swooshing noises on any sort of tar.

Cup 2s would push the limit on track/street and if you said 75 track/25 street they could be for you. Wet performance would be something to be careful with, but otherwise they are very nice on the street. Really great grip, and will empty your bank account quickly on the track. Again the 180 tire wear rating may apply to just road use. I hit cords after 6 days on the track, with not quite enough negative camber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are lots of options, it just depends on how much you favor street versus track.
Why even talk about the Bridgestone and Yoko models when they don't make a 20" tire. Read the OP's post.

·
Registered
534 Posts
High performance tire selection in 20" sizes for this car are quite poor. The best available option is the Pilot Super sport - or if you have oodles of money you'd like to burn, Pilot Sport Cup 2. I actually chose to get a set of 18" tires for the track so i can run Nitto NT01s. My street tire once the stock Pzeros wear out is going to be the Pilot super sport.

·
Registered
346 Posts
High performance tire selection in 20" sizes for this car are quite poor. The best available option is the Pilot Super sport - or if you have oodles of money you'd like to burn, Pilot Sport Cup 2. I actually chose to get a set of 18" tires for the track so i can run Nitto NT01s. My street tire once the stock Pzeros wear out is going to be the Pilot super sport.
+1. I have the same set-up for track. I dislike the OEM Goodyear and will switch to the MPSS as well when they wear out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why even talk about the Bridgestone and Yoko models when they don't make a 20" tire. Read the OP's post.
Sorry about that. I should have looked them up before posting. Lazy. That said, keep an eye out for additional sizes for the newer products in the spring. Early summer the 71R tires weren't available in 19" and then they released a bunch of new sizes just a month or two back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does Pilot Sport Cup 2 series fit on a Boxster S? Checked the Tire Rack site and it indicates that no tires size of this series which will fit my Boxster? Don't mind paying the extra money rather than pay for something twice that is not as good and will be worn out quicker.:(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry about that. I should have looked them up before posting. Lazy.
No worries. Made me look it up and curse all the people who normally are slower and now were faster than me this at AX this weekend on RE-71s. My Nittos need heat, the RE-71s are sticky at ambient temps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
FWIW, just stopped by my local Michelin dealer, one of the biggest in this part of Georgia, to price a set of 20" PSS's for my CGTS. Fronts (235/35/R20) were abundant, but rears (265/35/R20) were nowhere to be found. He even called Michelin directly and was told there were none available anywhere in the U.S., and they had no information about plans for another run of them. Not saying this is correct, but it is what I was told. I am curious if anybody has tried to get them from Tire Rack recently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I have them in back order a month ago with no definite date as to when the order will be filled. I find it difficult to understand why Michelin is not currently making them to fill backorders that must be growing daily.:helpme:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Makes no sense about Michelin but soon to be in same boat...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No such thing as a best tire. Don't get caught in the hype of what is best for others rather than your personal needs. They all have their pros and cons.

For overall good handling, Michelin pss is good choice. Personally, I like continental tires. You'll have to get non-stock sizes though.

·
Noob
857 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post and it's on an old thread, but this is why I came here. I decided to autocross my 981CGTS and got hooked. Won my first outing, then slowed down in the next two events I attended, but I still felt competitive. All I needed to do was smooth out, tighten up and stop drifting like Fast and Furious. Car was sliding around a LOT, so I asked an instructor for a ride-along. "Too aggressive" he said, so he drove to confirm. Same sliding around...so a glance at my rears showed them gone with only 5900 miles on them (outside smooth, but not to cords). Glad the tech missed it. Time for new tires!

The front has a bit more left, but they're worn, so in the GTS specific sizes, my choices are limited to new P-Zeros on the rear or four new all around. I looked at PSS, but when I asked about tires, the consensus seemed to be "Cup 2!". I just wasn't sure what would fit. Then I saw the above post. The wider front tire just induces a bit more oversteer (I'm guessing, so correct me.), but I wouldn't think it dramatic. I daily my car ,but not far and have a truck for backup. I think these tires in the above sizes are perfect.

Can anyone offer a caveat beyond "Dang, they're proud of that rubber. Because $$$$."

Anyway, thanks! I appreciate the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts