Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install 18" OZ Alleggerita HLT wheels on a 2010 Cayman S with Nitto NT-01 tires for track use (10 high speed DE events/year, not Racing or Autocross). The suspension is factory with as much negative camber as possible.
Should I order the 18"x8" front and 18"x9" rear, the wider 18"x8.5" front and 18"x10" rear, or some different combination? Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will install the following size Nitto NT-01 tires:
front: 245/40/18
rear: 275/40/18
Thanks! Cheers.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
First things first. What is your experience doing DEs? What is your level?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
I went with the 18X8.5 and 18X10 myself. The 10's will allow you to run 295 Hoosiers. They will be easier to sell too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also went with 18x8.5 & 18x10. Matches the width of the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Experience: Approx 70 track days at Texas World Speedway, Level White at Texas Wold Speedway Performance Driving, level Yellow with Lone Star Region PCA. 8 track days at Motor Sport Ranch Houston (earned SCCA license in 3-day course, but no racing yet). 2 track days at NOLA.
Other equipment: 996 GT3 seats. 6-point Schroth Profi harness, HANS

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Experience: Approx 70 track days at Texas World Speedway, Level White at Texas Wold Speedway Performance Driving, level Yellow with Lone Star Region PCA. 8 track days at Motor Sport Ranch Houston (earned SCCA license in 3-day course, but no racing yet). 2 track days at NOLA.
Other equipment: 996 GT3 seats. 6-point Schroth Profi harness, HANS
Just confused me that someone with your experience would ask that question. The way it came across to me was a newbie going for his first time and having read all the wrong things. NP now.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would like to install 18" OZ Alleggerita HLT wheels on a 2010 Cayman S with Nitto NT-01 tires for track use (10 high speed DE events/year, not Racing or Autocross). The suspension is factory with as much negative camber as possible.
Should I order the 18"x8" front and 18"x9" rear, the wider 18"x8.5" front and 18"x10" rear, or some different combination? Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will install the following size Nitto NT-01 tires:
front: 245/40/18
rear: 275/40/18
Thanks! Cheers.
I got the 8.5/10in widths OZ some time ago from tirerack and have a set of the same tires/ sizes in my garage. Plan to put them on when I wear out my current RS3s. At the time I got the OZs I checked on the NT01 specs because I knew I wanted to try them eventually. But can't recall where- maybe the Nitto website. There were wheel width recommendations and also camber recommendations. Anyway I went with the wider of the wheel choices.

OT: I was planning to get to TWS for the next PCA DE but likely have to cancel. But hope to make the last PDS and the PCA "last hurrah" in June.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As others have said, you should increase wheel width as the stock 8"/9" widths are a bit narrow, even for the stock tire size. Wider wheels will put the tire tread flatter on the tarmac which improves both performance and wear.

8.5" F and 10" R widths are the most popular choice. I have also found that the stock 9" rear size and offset will work just fine in the front. I currently have one set of 8.5"/10" and one set of 9"/10"; both work fine with very even wear on the NT-01 sizes you're planning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts