Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your guys help deciding on my wheel upgrade... I currently run the 18" boxster S wheels, and looking to move to 19" strictly for looks... That being said, I am concerned with weight as well, though this is strictly for street application so I am considering OEM and Forgestar. My price range is about 1500 and under for the wheels, so let me know if there are other good options as well besides used OEM or new Forgestar. I know OZ makes a good wheel on tirerack for aound that price I think, but I am not a huge fan of that wheel.

Check out the pics that I did via cut and paste at work today and let me know what you guys think looks best or if I missed anything. I think I am leaning towards the gunmetal forgestars... What do you think?

Thanks!:thanks:

Dan

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Either keep the current wheels and paint them black (probably most cost effective) or go for the lobster forks painted black. I can't help it, black wheels look great on silver cars.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
In order of my preference...5,4,3,2,1....really like the forgestars in both finishes. For oem I like the carrera S (lobsters) or the carrera sports ( not in your choices).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I like the gunmetal as well... Still waiting to see them on other members cars from the goup buy, I am a little concerned that the 15mm-18mm offest difference may look a little too far out for a car with stock suspension... Once that is settled, I think I will go for the gunmetal and then maybe sell the current rims to help offset the cost :banana:

Matt - Just curious, how long is the current lead time for the gunmetal in 19x8.5 and 19x10? I was not going to purchase for a few months, but if there is a long back log then maybe I should get going on it...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 19" Gunmetal barrels are currently in stock. Figure around 2 to 4 weeks for production and delivery.

As far as aftermarket wheels on an expensive car, a lot of OEM styles leave a lot to be desired in terms of looks, construction and weight. A proper aftermarket wheel will be an upgrade over OEM in any objective measure, looks being subjective.

If you see these wheels on a Civic, let me know :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any more opinions / options out there?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 19" Gunmetal barrels are currently in stock. Figure around 2 to 4 weeks for production and delivery.

As far as aftermarket wheels on an expensive car, a lot of OEM styles leave a lot to be desired in terms of looks, construction and weight. A proper aftermarket wheel will be an upgrade over OEM in any objective measure, looks being subjective.

If you see these wheels on a Civic, let me know :D

How are OEM Porsche wheels inferior in terms of construction?

How does the load rating of your wheels compare to OEM Porsche? How do the weights of your 19s compare to the OEM 18s?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
There basically 3 types (and a few sub types) of wheel construction.

1.1 Gravity cast
1.2 Low pressure cast

2.1 Flow forming

3.1 1 piece forged
3.2 2 piece forged
3.3 3 piece forged

This is in order of strenght/quality. There are various forging tonnage which will affect strenght of the wheels as well. The Porsche OEM wheels are mostly cast wheels except for the higher end models such as the 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2 which I believe have forged wheels from the factory or so I've read in their brochure.

Forgestar F14s in 19s will come in between:

19x9 - 22.5 to 24 lbs
19x10 24 to 26 lbs

Weights vary depending on offset.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I just love those wheels, If I ever decide to go aftermarket, this is definitely on my short list

However, I really do like my SportDesigns, and if I bought the car again I would spec them again as well. And although I didnt try an aftermarket wheel but the SD's arent heavy IMO!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an Arctic Silver Cayman, and I'm in the market for new wheels also. The Forgestar F14's in gunmetal have caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is definatly down to the sport design vs. the gunmetal f14s for me. Per some other posts on here, the oem sport designs are 24lbs for the front, which is about 1/2 lb more than the forgestars, so they are about the same from that aspect. Decisions decisions... still waiting on the gunmetal pics from the group buys :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
There basically 3 types (and a few sub types) of wheel construction.

1.1 Gravity cast
1.2 Low pressure cast

2.1 Flow forming

3.1 1 piece forged
3.2 2 piece forged
3.3 3 piece forged

This is in order of strenght/quality. There are various forging tonnage which will affect strenght of the wheels as well. The Porsche OEM wheels are mostly cast wheels except for the higher end models such as the 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2 which I believe have forged wheels from the factory or so I've read in their brochure.

Forgestar F14s in 19s will come in between:

19x9 - 22.5 to 24 lbs
19x10 24 to 26 lbs

Weights vary depending on offset.
Thanks. You missed one of my questions: What is is the load rating for your wheels?

I passed on the OZ Alleggerita's because after some digging it turned out they were rated for significantly less load than the OE Porsche wheels. Significant in my book at least.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay, so they are load rated at 1500 but the they were tested at 1998 - 2003 ft lbs (rear and front)... what does this mean? what are OEM rated? I am not a wheel load expert. Help :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I just did a quick research in the Cayman's owner's manual and cannot find the OE load rating.

Tests are done above the wheel's load rating at X amount of rotations to determine if there is wheel failure under any form.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Different ratings (SAE/JIL/TUV) etc have different formulas to arrive at the load rating. When a wheel manufacuturer desires a specific load then the testing lab applies the formula to it. The longer the test is run (cycles) the closer the test load is to the rated load. The shorter the test, the higher the test load for a given desired rating. Longer tests obviously cost more money... :)

Typically (generally speaking) a Vehicle manufacturer will test the wheels to approx 1.2-1.5 times the actual corner weight of the car where the wheel will be. Race teams will test in the 2.0-2.5 range.

Also, each bolt circle/pattern can have a minimum rating as well to allow it to reach a specific rating such as SAE J328 or similar.

Beyond the test/fail results one can also compare deflections measurements etc (if two wheels are given the same load) to get some apples to close to apples comparison.

I have used the same lab that Forgestar used (STL) in the past... They are a great lab.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.