Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You know selling a Porsche is tough work. You could take the easy route and trade it, but trading at dealer wholesale is not my idea of a good return on investment. Your baby that you have lavished massive TLC on during the time you have owned it is reduced to an embarrassing (for you!) number on the deal sheet. You look at that sales professional sitting across from you and feel cheated. My Porsche is worth how much? Ouch! Of course they may clean it up a bit, or maybe not since you have taken such good care of it, but they mark it up to full retail.

I have done that, more that once. Sometimes it was for a purpose, like needing four doors instead of two, or getting rid of an Audi A3 with consistent AC problems, or - you get the picture, just fill in the blank. Point is sometimes you take the hit, cause it gets you into your next set of wheels.

Of course there is another route. Yep, you can sell it yourself. Now sometimes it is too old to trade, sorry but dealers are just not too interested in your 1987 944S or your 1997 Boxster. They just aren’t. They want newer cars; something that will turn quickly and those old 944’s and 928’s may not cut it. So you have to do it all by yourself!

The way I see it, buying a Porsche from another Porsche guy (or gal) is pretty safe bet. As a group we tend to be pretty obsessive with our rides. Between keeping them clean, staying on top of maintenance, added “mods” and such, some of these cars are pretty darn good. We just have to find one we like. Or if you are on the selling side, someone that likes what we have done to it or how we have taken care of it.

So where does that leave yours truly? Well, I have to sell my Cayman S because with two boys in college, the family needs a little financial headroom. So I am going lower on the car food chain. Trading it in? Not an option, I’m just trading down. At least for now. What am I getting? Well it has been sort of like the weather in West Texas. If you don’t like it, just wait a minute. In other words, my mind has changed several times over the past few weeks.

It started with a Mini Cooper S. Yes my dearly departed Step-dad’s Mini. I was going to buy it from my Mom and turn it into a track monster. I even found some parts that are what I would classify as “un-obtainum”, meaning you just don’t get this stuff off the shelf. Even paid for the parts by selling some of my Cayman stuff. Its funny, I tell my wife that I have found X or Y parts for a car and she just rolls her eyes…yeah whatever honey.

I took the Mini to the track. Of course it was bone stock, but it just did not have the soul of a Porsche. Brand loyalty aside, and yes I am very guilty of being loyal to the Porsche brand (just look in my closet at all the Porsche stuff I wear), the Mini did not do it for me. I know I could make it handle pretty well and go pretty fast, but it’s just not a Porsche. There were a couple of spots on the track where the Mini just had nothing, no guts, and no glory. I would turn in on slightly uphill turns and plant my right foot to the floor and ….I would wait, and wait and wait some more as the car fought for traction.

Hmmm, what else can I get once my Cayman sells? A Porsche Boxster? At least on the track I know I can maintain speed and slide that sucker through the turn. No waiting, just sliding, the tires giving that happy squeal as the car gains speed and momentum heading towards the exit of the turn. Yeah that is what I am talking about. So the answer then is a Boxster. Maybe I can find a decent one for $8-9K. Or maybe not. It could need a lot of work – IMS, RMS too many “S’s”. And we are talking about a pretty old car, somewhere between 1999 and 2002. But still, it I think I can make it work.

But maybe not. There was a car in the back of my mind. It started off as an afterthought, but it slowly gained momentum. It went from an also ran to leader of the pack. I had owned one once and it was a great track weapon. Now that particular car needed a lot of work and at the time investing a lot of cash in a car was not an option. Sort of like now. But this time I have the skills, I can make it better, I know people that can help me turn it into something stupid. And that car is a Porsche 951. Or 944 Turbo for those of you not in the know. I know, it is older than a Boxster and an ’86 is checking in at a young twenty-seven years old.

But man what a great platform! What to stiffen it up and make it roll less through a turn? There are endless options. What it to go faster? It is just a function of opening your wallet. And funny thing, not as much as you might think. Yeah it may be an old car, but there are so many ways to improve performance. The book, in this case has been well written and is maybe on it seventeenth edition. So I will be on the lookout for a well loved 951. Let me know if have a line on a good one for sale.

The Cayman S? Still gotta sell it. And I just ordered some parts to bring everything up to snuff maintenance wise: new clutch kit, water pump, rotors and brake pads. How is it going? Well, it is still listed on a lot of enthusiast sites. More on how it's going next month.

And on that exhaust note, see you all next time.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Bummer that you have to sell your 987 coupe.

If you once again sway toward going away from the brand, perhaps look at an E36 M3. They can be had in your price range and are fairly reliable as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer that you have to sell your 987 coupe.

If you once again sway toward going away from the brand, perhaps look at an E36 M3. They can be had in your price range and are fairly reliable as well.
Hmmmm, I will have to take a look.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should probably add a E36 or E39 M3 to the mix to just really confuse everyone!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm sure you'll find the perfect buyer for the Cayman. I've sold quite a few cars (including my '04 Boxster and 1973 914) on cars.com.

Speaking of.....why not do something really crazy and get a 914 as a track car!

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
+1 on the E36. Great track car, tons of aftermarket parts support, wheels, tires, pads, etc. Great online forum support as well. And reliable, probably more so than an early 986 I hate to admit. That great 240hp straight six (236 lb-ft. of torque, a lot more than an early Boxster). 3175 lbs, so not quite as light but of course that's before the Sparcos, spare removal, etc.

Sorry to hear you're selling KY's old Cayman S. That was his car when he and I got bitten (HARD) by the track bug. Fast car. But an E36 would be my first and last choice if I were to assemble another track weapon today. Over a Mini any day. S2k is a great, flickable car -- my brother drives one on track and off -- but at the end of the day it doesn't have the guts to really turn a fast lap without a turbocharger and now you're spending all that money and more.

Best of luck, man!

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
+1 on the E36. Great track car, tons of aftermarket parts support, wheels, tires, pads, etc. Great online forum support as well. And reliable, probably more so than an early 986 I hate to admit. That great 240hp straight six (236 lb-ft. of torque, a lot more than an early Boxster). 3175 lbs, so not quite as light but of course that's before the Sparcos, spare removal, etc.

Sorry to hear you're selling KY's old Cayman S. That was his car when he and I got bitten (HARD) by the track bug. Fast car. But an E36 would be my first and last choice if I were to assemble another track weapon today. Over a Mini any day. S2k is a great, flickable car -- my brother drives one on track and off -- but at the end of the day it doesn't have the guts to really turn a fast lap without a turbocharger and now you're spending all that money and more.

Best of luck, man!

Ah...and let me add..."4-door E-36". The 4 doors are better because:

1. Strip the car, put in two race buckets and a roll cage. Get a cage that allows you to use the back seat area for tires. Trunk for tools. The back doors on the sedan make it so much easier to load and unload your tires.

2. A stripped E-36 will weigh quite a bit under 3,000 lbs and will handle like a demon.

3. Now add coil-overs and camber plates and do a little alignment magic. A set of wheels with R tires... Add a set of sway bars. Add an X-brace underneath...That's a support that they designed to stiffen up the convertible. On sedans and coupes, it really stiffens the chassis.

4. When you really get it going good, finally add a strut brace. The strut brace on top and the X-brace underneath plus the roll cage really stiffen this chassis up and make it handle.

The coolest thing is that you don't need a trailer for these cars. Just throw everything inside, including tents, canopies, cooler etc. and go.

The E36 motor has a few weaknesses, but they're small and the car is so much easier to work on than a Cayman. Head gaskets can split between cylinders 5 and 6 if you don't have the right brand of head gasket. Replace with the good one and you're golden. While the head is out, replace the valve retainers with the new design. If you change these out before there is a problem, you don't need to plane the head. This is about an afternoon's work.

Then there are intakes and exhausts and software (actual chips!!!). You can put in a cam, better pistons and rods etc. too if you're ambitious but my '95 M3 went 14 driving seasons without engine work. That head gasket thing finally happened. It was fixed in one day and another to get the head milled. Still runs like a top. There is a water pump upgrade too. Mine was done under warranty.

That's about it unless you want to put a blower on it. At Putnam Park, these lightened cars, not even M3s, are pretty tough against my CS.

There are other budget racers, but this is probably the best total bang for total bucks.

However....Just talked with a guy who has a heavily modified Toyota MR2. (mid engine, lighter than Cayman and more power. Don't know if he tracks his though...or if it's holds up.

Decisions, decisions!

:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel ya man.....I am in the same boat. Gotta sell my low miles 06 Cayman S. Would love to keep her for ever :) But I have a newborn on the way.

Good luck with the replacement!

·
Vendor
2,467 Posts
Want a 3 seater - might be getting a GT3 and add rear seats - not too tough!

Decision, decision...........keep the newborn or the Cayman??:taunt:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just hope you don't feel the pain I felt two years ago when I sold my first Cayman. I bought a 944 S2 for the very same reasons you state. (I like the the fact that the 3.0 l wouldn't bury my head in the engine mods, but sometimes miss the fact that I could be turning a boost nob for more power). I did the suspensions, rebuilt the brakes, pulled out some weight, and it holds tires under the hatch going to track days to make it even more interesting. Great car, and a lot of great track days on cheapish and available RA1s.

But, I missed that stupid Cayman so much that I found another one. :crazy:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I ended up buying a 951 (944 Turbo). Bought an '86 so no ABS or Airbags. That means I will be working on my threshold breaking...

If anyone wants to see what I bought, the PO posted up some nice pix. Will write a new column once I get it.

Flickr: pigiron53's Photostream

Enjoy!

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
Well, I ended up buying a 951 (944 Turbo). Bought an '86 so no ABS or Airbags. That means I will be working on my threshold breaking...

If anyone wants to see what I bought, the PO posted up some nice pix. Will write a new column once I get it.

Flickr: pigiron53's Photostream

Enjoy!
Congrats, so is part 2 of your column going to be done in time for the next newsletter in a couple of days?? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts