Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selling a car can be a beat down. As I said in part one, you can just trade it - take your beating, lick your wounds and move on. The dealer handles everything and there is even a tax benefit based on the trade. Sometimes it just seems this is the easiest route. I have done it and yes, it can solve your issues moving from one car to another. Seems to work better for the family hauler than my personal go fast machine, but the dealer seems to like it when I trade a car in. They are beyond clean and are up to date on maintenance. So for them, they get a low risk trade and I usually come away with a few more dollars than a similar trade.

But not this time. I am moving way down in price, so I needed to sell the Cayman S myself. I listed it on a lot of enthusiast websites, you know - the usual suspects: here, the 986 and 968 forums (I have some cred over on those), Rennlist, 6Speedonline, Excellence, PCA and a few others. The idea was to stay away from Autotrader, Craigslist and eBay. Then I steeled myself for the questions, tire kickers and trolls. Oh yes, lot’s of trolls!

There was the guy that kept emailing me trying to beat me down on price. He said the new motor (installed after a rod failed) made is worth less. He kept emailing me - every time I posted or lowered the price, something would immediately pop up in my inbox saying I was not realistic and that he was offering me a fair price. But he was just a bit douchey in his tone. I finally put his email address in my junk folder. And I am happy to say I got $6000 more then his fair price. Six Thousand! Take that Mister Lower-Baller!

Then there were the guys that asked a thousand questions (even though the details in my ad was pretty thorough). I would patiently answer them with a smile on my face as I typed out the responses. I think you can tell based on how a post reads if the person writing it has a frown or not… There were literally dozens of tire kickers, but you have to weed through them all if you want to find that rose.

Then I finally got an email from someone that asked the right questions, was excited that the new motor had 40K less miles on it than the chassis. He got it and he bought it! It was fun to pick him up in the Cayman at the airport and head to my bank, he loved the interior and all the “stuff” a highly optioned Cayman has on it. So after he gave me the checks, I bid a farewell to the Cayman as it wound its way to the Carolinas.

Then it was time to buy the new wheels. I was sorely temped by a special Miata. This one is owned by one of the guys that sells Miata track mods. He threw the kitchen sink at it. It has 290HP, it can pass GT3 Cup cars and Lamborghini Gallardo’s. It is a beast. But at the end of the day it was just a bit beyond my budget and ultimately it was not a Porsche.

Then there was a nice 968, owned by a friend and in real nice condition. But again, it was at the top of my budget and needs some stuff to get it properly set up for the track work I wanted to do. It was hard, but I had to pass…

There was a 944 Turbo (or 951 for your aficionados) that I had seen early in my search. The build list of the mods the owner had done to it read like a who’s who of my personal hit list. And then some… The list went on and on. Problem was it was also at the top of my budget, really a bit too tight to pull the trigger, so I kept searching.

Looking at Craigslist one evening, I came across a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo (S). For those of you in the know, all the ‘89’s were “S’s”, meaning they had all the go fast goodies that Porsche could throw at them. Problem was it was owned by some bubba’s in the middle of nowhere Texas. I never spoke to the owner, just his brother-in-law. Maybe the owner did not have communication skills, maybe he did not know how to use a cell phone, after all, they were in the hinterland.

They knew little about it, but the photos seemed to show a car in decent condition. Still it was a huge risk – they did not even know about replacing the belts and rollers. And when the Bro-in-law admitted that the owner was a cheap skate, I grew even more apprehensive. “Man this car has a race suspension, race brakes, it has it all.” What about maintenance I asked. “Well he did find a few used tires that fit. They in good condition too!” And when he admitted they had drag raced it I ran away! Far, far away. In the end, he got acrimonious with his texts, I should have seen that coming a mile away.

One evening, on a lark, I went back to my old emails and sent the guy an email about the heavily mod’ed 951 I first lusted over a few weeks earlier. I figured it was sold, all trace of it was gone from Craigslist. The next day he sent an email – the car was still available. What the heck – I called him and we spoke for a long time. A fellow PCA instructor, I figured he knew what he was doing. We agreed to a price, I sent him a deposit. Then the balance and I bought an extra set of wheels he had as well.

The car should be picked up tomorrow or the next day. It will be a long seven days before it lands in my driveway. I can’t wait!

And on that exhaust note, see you next time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
some good tips here, and congrats on the new ride!

just wondering why you chose to "stay away from Autotrader, Craigslist and eBay" as a seller, but had no problems using CL as a buyer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted my '84 911 Cab on the PCA Mart and requested that it be posted in the Pano as well. That was at about 23:30 on a Saturday. I spent almost 12 hours Sunday replying to the responses. I had two callers from Germany and ended up with a buyer and two standing in line behind him that day. I'd had the Cab appraised at the dealership where I'd ordered my 981 CS and advertised the Cab at what the dealership had given me as the retail value. I had confirmed that as a valid price by checking other sites as well. The buyer agreed to pay the retail, which was my asking price and the two back-up buyers offered less. Two weeks later the buyer flew in, drove the car and the following morning, we went to his bank and he gave me a cashiers check for that price. I sold the car so quickly, I never got the chance to go through the hassle of advertising on any other site. I cancelled my ad in the Mart and my ad never ran in the Pano since it had sold so quickly!

The buyer was high maintenance but for the right price, I figured a little TLC was worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts