Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it about new tires? Sure enough as soon as we put them on one of our cars, its days are numbered. My wife was driving a 2007 VW Passat 2.0T and it was in excellent shape. Up to date on all its maintenance, but it did need tires pretty soon. I had been keeping track of the tread depth, feeling the wear indicator. But I must have missed one. Because when she took it in for its annual state inspection, they would not inspect it because one of the tires was down to the indicator. My bad, probably the one tire I missed.

As usual, I did an exhaustive amount of research on new tires. And I am willing to bet that when you need them, being an enthusiast, you probably do the same. I spent a lot of time on Tirerack.com and looked at all the options and reviews. Funny but I usually steer clear of Michelin tires; I tend to think they are a bit overpriced…but not this time. Deciding on the Michelin Primacy MXM4 All-Season tires (instead of summer performance tires that were on the car), they fell into my price range. So I grabbed a set.

My wife was very happy; they were so much quieter than the Continental performance tires that had been on before. She said that she could see herself driving this car forever! She did not need or want another one. Uh-oh. We were happy with the new tires, it should have been an alarm bell because the Passat’s days were numbered. Oh that first few weeks of driving on them were great, little did we suspect that trading it in was right around the corner.

A few weeks pass and I was out at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX instructing at an Apex Driving Academy event. My wife brought my Brother-in-law out so he could run a session with me. He had never been out on the track before and he admitted two things afterwards; he had a blast, but his knees were more than a little shaky. At the end of the day, she stayed to help me pack up and as usual there were several guys heading out pulling their cars with either a pick-up or a SUV. She commented it sure seemed easier to just drive the car up on a trailer and strap it down versus loading up my utility trailer with tires, tools, pop-up canopy and then pulling it home behind the CS. Hmmm, the seeds of the trade were planted right then and there.

A couple of weeks pass and we have our regular six-month discussion of me getting rid of the Cayman S and buying a Lotus Exige S. As you can imagine that is a whole other column in the making… But she actually commented that the Exige was cute and she could see me owning one. Uh oh! A lengthy discussion followed. One thing she pointed out is that I am a Porsche guy and without a Cayman S (and driving a Lotus), my Porsche cred would be diminished or at least tarnished. She did have a point.

But then the conversation took a critical turn, she said that if we bought a Cayenne, we could still maintain Porsche ownership, but have a vehicle that could tow whatever I drive to the track. Ah Ha! The moment of truth had arrived! That would mean getting rid of the Passat. You know, the one with the new tires. Most of the time when we have these conversations they never go anywhere. They simply rev back up again six months later when I get another Exige S craving. But not this time. It was Sunday. I was probably getting ready to take a dip in the pool when my wife called me over to her PC. “Take a look at this,” She said, “it looks pretty nice.” And I looked at the page she had pulled up from Boardwalk Porsche in Plano, TX. On the screen was a Lapis Blue Metallic 2005 Cayenne with only 75K miles (meaning only 10K per year) for $19.9K. It looked pretty clean.

I called them on Monday and asked if they still had it. They did. Next I spoke to one of my mechanic buddy’s there and asked about the car. He said it was in good shape. He ran a PWIS scan and no serious codes or faults came back. The car was very clean and well maintained. Maybe we should go look at it. I slipped the extra Passat key into my back pocket just in case.

Arriving at Boardwalk, our sales guy Owen met us and he let us take it out for a drive. The Cayenne was very nice, just as advertised. Love both the interior and exterior color. Under the hood it was spotless and crawling around under the car everything looked good. The car did not have a ton of options, but I figure with Cayenne’s that is probably a good thing. Besides, that is just less to go wrong. We struck a deal, got a good trade on the Passat and got the Cayenne for $19.4K and drove it home. One complaint though - the car buying process takes too darned LONG. I would love to see the entire transaction take 2.5 hours, not 4-5 hours. And for the second car purchase in a row, stopped by Pei Wei for take out on the way home.

Now it was time for me to give it a complete once over. So that Saturday I was up early and did my customary 5-step detail process: Dawn dishwashing liquid to take off any residue, clay bar to prep the paint, coat of Klasse All-In-One acrylic conditioner, a coat of Klasse Acrylic Sealer and a coat of Pinnacle Souveran carnauba wax. The paint was brilliant, the metal flaked Lapis Blue popping out with three-dimensional depth. In the interior, I used Porsche Leather cleaner and conditioner on all leather surfaces. On the mechanical side, it had a fresh oil change already, but I added a K&N filter, new plugs and coil packs, an interior charcoal filter, flushed the brakes with Motul RBF400 and had the Transmission, axles and diff fluids changed.

The Cayenne is ready to go for quite some time. Did have to buy a couple of new tires though, we hit a nail and it was on the outer bead of the tire so we needed to buy two to keep the tread depth consistent on the axle. Next up – adding a tow bar and the Porsche tow module along with the trailer E-brake controller. Then it is time for trailer shopping!

I would like to nickname the Cayenne and the obvious choice is Pepper. But EVERYONE does that! So I will take your ideas into consideration. Remember this a moderated forum so keep in clean. And nice.

Until next time, I will keep it - between the lines.

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
Didn't you get a Cayenne Turbo awhile back for $20K or was that someone else? I've been toying with the idea of getting an early Cayenne Turbo because they are so darn cheap. My concern is if it has problems how expensive it will get and how fast. :)

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
Rob, you're killing me here. I have been resisting the urge to abandon MY little red track trailer (pulled behind my Boxster S) for a real trailer and, yes, a real tow vehicle. And I, too, have been slobbering over Cayennes with my wife. Her main role is to convince me that whatever Cayenne I'm looking at, there's one that's even better if I'd just bump that price filter up a couple thousand bucks. The inevitable mission creep eventually has me table the idea for a few weeks.

Well, it's been a few weeks and the discussions are starting up again. It sure would be nice to just drive up on the trailer and go. And I love the first-gen Cayenne, more than the current one in fact. (I'm odd that way.)

KY -- the guy who sold you the CS -- has been chiming in with advice from the money-is-no-object corner. "Do it", he says. "You deserve it." And now you're doing exactly what I want to do. Thanks, Rob. :cheers:

P.S. -- Rodolphe. It's the first name of the mayor of Cayenne, French Guyana, and sort of German-sounding.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Yeah, yeah...then what? Are you getting a Locust?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was an Exige at the track this past weekend. For that event, I reverted to the old standby, my buddy hauled my gear. Anyway, I took a good look at the car and spoke to the owner at length. Now he had a huge trailer with living space in it, pretty nice! So I asked him about driving it. He said..."why do you think we have this trailer!?" He said the first hour to 90 minutes on a road trip were OK, but after that you wish you were driving something else. That pretty much cured me of this round of Exige lust.

Next stop, a half-cage, harnesses and seats for the CS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts