Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 5th autocross run of the day with the car set to Track mode and Sport 1 traction control and coming out of a 360 degree turn suddenly no response.
Coasted to a stop. Tried to start the car after putting it in park; nothing. No dash lights, no start, door doesn't open since is a power release. Luckily there's
a mechanical release on the floor to each door. One of the guys googles for help. No foot on brake and hold start button for 10 seconds should repower the
car; nope. Open the trunk with the key. Guys come with tools and F250. We disconnect the battery then reconnect after 30 sections; no change. Check all
fuses in box in engine compartment (mechanical release); nothing clearly blown. Jump start; nothing.

Get a ride back to pits to get my phone and other stuff. Call Chevrolet Roadside Assistant. It's a computer, wants my vin and mileage, I don't have that info and
I'm 1/2 mile from the car but it doesn't know anything but repeats request for vin and mileage
Call AAA; a real person to help. Explain where I am; no address, on an airport runway. Sends a tow truck, we wait at gate for him so we can let him in; it's power gate that closes
all the time. He comes in, we go to the car. Try everything again. Finally decide to pull it onto the truck but it's in park so have to put skates under rear tires, pull it on, tie it down.
Off to nearby Chevy dealer. Drop car, call Uber, get home 3 hours after car dies.

Further aside the Vette is 7" wider than Spyder and it likes to get cones you can't see. No clean runs; 1 cone then 2 cones then 3 cones then 3 cones. Hey I'm going slower on each run.
My Spyder is on Stingray's website for $86,900. Maybe I can work a deal where I give them the Vetter back plus 30k and I have my old car again. Sorry I can't do that will have to learn how
drive this thing after it's running again.

Thanks for listening; this a the start of my next novel. There's that word again - START !

T

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sad to hear. I've never had a vette, so can't speak to the reliability first-hand, but I've heard of electrical gremlins in C7's.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
sorry to hear that... you must have been so looking forward to driving it as much as possible on that day.
hope its nothing serious...

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blown engine as per dealer
Makes no sense to me.
At a very low speed; 10 mph with no noise, no engine running issues; breaking up or running poorly, it just isn't running and without power to most of the car and no dash.
To me that's electrical/computer not mechanical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Agree. That makes no sense. What exactly do they consider a "blown engine". I can't see anything mechanical causing a catastrophic electrical failure. Sounds more like a blown ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blown and locked which is hard to do. Plus today they said they can't work on it until Monday. A week of no answers.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Blown and locked which is hard to do. Plus today they said they can't work on it until Monday. A week of no answers.
Truly maddening! Subscribed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Limp mode" caused by over revving or heat build up? Car is new isn't it? Not yet broken in as well as the 500 mile oil change?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OP,

Did you get a "reduced engine power" display?

Talked to a friend who tracks a Z06 and he stated his will overheat at high summer temps and start to eliminate systems. First the a/c goes off. Then either the Overheat display will show or "power steering pump overheat" display.

He also stated it will occasionally NOT start. You may want to visit the C7 forums.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No limp, No display, Not hot; Not overheated. Everything worked until nothing worked. A run of the autocross is less than 1/2 mile

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to speak with him and see what he actually did or didn't do
Today P/T; giving blood and then confession for Christmas ( I guess I don't have to include revving over 4000 rpm with less than 500 miles on the car)
Tomorrow Corvette stuff

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Service Mgr. called on 12/31 said 2 rod bearings had fused to the crank. They had difficulty removing the engine because they couldn't turn it over to remove flywheel bolts. That is apparently the way the engine comes out. We discussed the options; repair or replace, and both agreed it would be better to replace the engine. I don't feel confident in continuing with this engine since it blew with less the 400 miles on it and dealers aren't equipped to rebuild engines; no machine shop or clean room for assembly. I called GM and told them I wanted the engine replaced not rebuild. They said they would contact the dealer. Waiting to hear something this coming week; like come pickup your car.

On 1/6 dealer called and said GM approved engine replacement and they should have it in a week and then another week to install. It's over a month now plus 2 more weeks will be 6 weeks. I've forgotten most the stuff I had learned about the Vette by now.
Plan to put 1500 break-in miles on it this time and hope this was just a poor engine build and Chevy's part. There doesn't seem to be any history of this problem on the Corvette sites but their forum has so many replies to a post it is difficult and time consuming to try and figure out. Their posts will have 200 replies in one day so I gave up there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts