Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying these out. Didn't like the look of the /30's on the rear so got these in /35's. Brand new tire with very good online testing reviews. Also very $reasonable$. These are 285/35/20 on x73 suspension. Very un-glamorous photo below.

City driving home they felt good. Not noisy. Wet grip is good since it's pouring in Seattle today. So far definitely a step up from the previous tire experiment.

IMG_1321.JPG

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Trying these out. Didn't like the look of the /30's on the rear so got these in /35's. Brand new tire with very good online testing reviews. Also very $reasonable$. These are 285/35/20 on x73 suspension. Very un-glamorous photo below.

City driving home they felt good. Not noisy. Wet grip is good since it's pouring in Seattle today. So far definitely a step up from the previous tire experiment.

View attachment 62336
What was the previous tire you are comparing to?

I noticed that you have wider wheels now? I was wondering how well a 285 was going to fit on the stock rear wheel...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Nice, is it possible for you to take a picture at an angle where it will show how much out or in the rear tire is from the top fender?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why did you choose to go with all-season tires? Tests on Tire Rack show that a summer tire such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is superior to an all-season in the wet. There is even less fall off in performance when going from dry to wet. About the only advantage of the all-season is they typically last for more miles.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you choose to go with all-season tires? Tests on Tire Rack show that a summer tire such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is superior to an all-season in the wet. There is even less fall off in performance when going from dry to wet. About the only advantage of the all-season is they typically last for more miles.
Price. These are literally half the cost of the MPSS. And I specifically wanted 'all season'.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, is it possible for you to take a picture at an angle where it will show how much out or in the rear tire is from the top fender?
Yes I'll take a pic. The tire is about 1/4" proud of the fender.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Are you using these rears only? I may have misread your thread. If you are what is on the front? If I misread, ignore the question.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you using these rears only? I may have misread your thread. If you are what is on the front? If I misread, ignore the question.
Rears only right now. I'll get new fronts before late fall/winter (aka-lots of rain). Really liking these tires, BTW. Good stuff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So am I understanding this correctly? Youre running BFG all seasons in the rear and another brand that are summer tires in the front?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So am I understanding this correctly? Youre running BFG all seasons in the rear and another brand that are summer tires in the front?
You are correct.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I was a bit surprised that you would run not only different compound but different tread patterns between front and rears which is why I asked. May be a misconception on my part about the impact that that might have.....just my POV, of course.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First....I don't plan on running different sets for too long. Once Mr. Fall and Winter show up, I'll be getting the fronts changed to match the rears.

**BUT**

I will say this....the difference is barely noticeable. My fronts are relatively cheap tires, quality wise. The BFG's are a much nicer tire for the $$$. Daily driving....no difference. Zero. None. Only when pushed I can feel the fronts giving away before the rears, hence, the car is pushing a bit. Not a bad thing off-track on the street on 'fun' back-roads. Honestly....it's a nice combo right now. There are no tracking or pulling issues with the different tread. It feels very good.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was really curious because one reads about all the end of life as we know it scenarios if one mixes and matches different tread pattern, compounds et al tires.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I still don't understand why someone would spend the money on wheels and performance options for a Porsche and then go cheep on tires. Summer tires such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are superior to an all season tire in the dry and wet. All season tires are even questionable for snow and icy conditions. Tires are last thing that I would compromise on for any car much less a Porsche Boxster/Cayman/911/etc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I still don't understand why someone would spend the money on wheels and performance options for a Porsche and then go cheep on tires. Summer tires such as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are superior to an all season tire in the dry and wet. All season tires are even questionable for snow and icy conditions. Tires are last thing that I would compromise on for any car much less a Porsche Boxster/Cayman/911/etc.
+1! You could put Prius tires on your Porsche and maybe get 80,000 miles out of them, but if you did that, your car would have no more grip than a Prius.

You paid a lot of money to get a high performance sports car. Put good high performance tires on it. The slowest tires you should even be considering are MPSS; you may even want to go with something even grippier, depending on what your priorities are. Once you've experienced good tires, on that first cold day you put on winter tires... you'll hate every minute of it and switch back the very first chance you get. Snow tires and all seasons really compromise the performance of these cars. At least snow tires give you good grip in the snow; all seasons don't even do that. They're really "no-season" tires.

If you honestly don't notice the difference, I don't know what to tell you besides that you're wasting your car's performance and would probably be lot happier in a Buick or something.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I was asking because it did seem to me that different tread patterns and compounds would potentially provide for a handling characteristic for which the car was not intended.....in theory, the rear would be less sticky than the front and, at a minimum, the stability control and other electronics would be working pretty hard to keep tha rear in check. Particularly in the wet.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1! You could put Prius tires on your Porsche and maybe get 80,000 miles out of them, but if you did that, your car would have no more grip than a Prius.

You paid a lot of money to get a high performance sports car. Put good high performance tires on it. The slowest tires you should even be considering are MPSS; you may even want to go with something even grippier, depending on what your priorities are. Once you've experienced good tires, on that first cold day you put on winter tires... you'll hate every minute of it and switch back the very first chance you get. Snow tires and all seasons really compromise the performance of these cars. At least snow tires give you good grip in the snow; all seasons don't even do that. They're really "no-season" tires.

If you honestly don't notice the difference, I don't know what to tell you besides that you're wasting your car's performance and would probably be lot happier in a Buick or something.
Maybe. To each their own. To me, tires are a commodity. I'm hunting for the best bang for your buck. #1: I spend 9+ months of the year driving in the wet...hence....All-Season is attractive. #2: I don't track my car. #3: Realistically, the amount of time I spend 'pushing my car to the limits' is <1% of driving time. I drive 'energetically' around town and on the highways, but I'm not seriously pushing the car to it's limits every single day. Yes....there are significant differences between makes and models of tires. I tend to wear out my rears every 10K-12K miles. This has been consistent with both my BMW's and now Porsche's. I want to spend the least and enjoy the most out of the tires. Thus...constant experimentation. Blindly sticking with the 'recommended' combo...because a bunch of marketing guys got together and shook hands....to me is silly. Just an opinion.

Reactions: bryans987s

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could you give us an update on the Comp-2 A/S I would appreciate it. Thinking of getting some for my BS Thanks

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like them a lot. We've had a really rainy fall and winter this year in Seattle and I've had the car out on both wet and drenched (aka- aquaplaning potential) roads. Tires feel great. Lots of grip. Not a lot of wear. I would definitely buy these again.

Reactions: FarmBoy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can't believe how judgmental people can be on Porsche forums. Least attractive thing about owning one IMO lol

Anyway, glad you're experimenting. I daily drive my Cayman S (although it is not primary) and have to contend with rather unpredictable Oklahoma weather (ice snow constant fall and spring downpours).

I'm on PSS's now and really love their grip and composure, but I'd like to have a set of tires that won't wear out (rears) over the course of a single summer like mine just did. I have a pretty aggressive alignment and push my car pretty hard, so my rear tires just don't last long. Thinking about something with a higher silica content like the Comp 2 or Comp 2 AS, or maybe the DWS 06. I figure that since they are roughly half the price and last twice as long, that's a that's a few extra bucks towards some serious track shoes.

If the trade off is a little traction (and I stress "little" based on tirerack's track times) I can live with that.

Looking forward to hearing more..... good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts