Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to BGB, Jim Norman and Spencer Pumpelly for winning the GX class against an unwavering assault by the Mazda factory. They squeezed by with an 8 point lead, a single Cayman against three factory prepped, tube framed, purpose built platforms.

In my opinion the series was stacked in Mazda's favor, it's a shame how the organizers were more interested in the promoter than in the fans. There's no ethics or sportsmanship to be found in the series.

GrandAm > Standings > Rolex > team

Reactions: mdavis

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In my opinion the series was stacked in Mazda's favor... tere's no ethics or sportsmanship to be found in the series.

Its so cool to see a 987 win before 981's start to show up.
And don't you just love it when the big money guys can't control the outcome the way they wanted for Mazda. LOL :taunt:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that they'll care but, I did send the Grand Am people an email today. Gave them my point of view as a fan.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From GrandAm site:

BGB Motorsports Looks to Lock Down GX Championships at Lime Rock

"September 25, 2013 (Ormond Beach, Fla.) - A season's worth of battling with Mazda will come to an end for BGB Motorsports this weekend at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut. The team's no. 38 CalciumPro / BGB Porsche Cayman, which holds a narrow lead over the no. 00 Speedsource Mazda 6 in the Rolex Series GX class driver and team championship, has to battle in one last race to secure the Rolex Series GX driver and team championships. Saturday's Rolex Series race will also be the final showdown between BGB Motorsports Porsche Cayman and the pair of Mazda 6's, as the Cayman will not be a part of the 2014 Tudor United Sports Car Championship while the Mazdas will be moved to GT. With three victories and eight second place finishes, Norman's lead in the GX championship stands at a strong eleven points heading to Lime Rock, where he finished on the Rolex Series GT podium in 2012. He will clinch the GX driver championship once he completes the minimum drive time of 30 minutes. "We've had an incredible battle over this season with the Mazdas," said Norman. "Things haven't been easy, but the BGB Motorsports guys have been digging and digging all season to give us a Porsche Cayman that we have a chance to win the GX championship with against the factory Mazdas. It's not locked up yet but we are in a good position for the driver and team championships and we are confident. And we would really like to get another CTSCC win!" BGB Motorsports has a smaller six-point lead in the GX team championship, and the entire team is aiming to bring home a double championship at the conclusion of the Championship Weekend at Lime Rock. Finishing third in class would bring the team championship to BGB Motorsports. Norman and Pumpelly will again be doing double-duty, as they will also drive the no. 38 CalciumPro/BGB Porsche Carrera in Saturday's Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race. After starting at the back of the previous CTSCC race at Laguna Seca, the duo guided their Porsche to the lead where Pumpelly held off massive pressure in the final stages of the race to score their first victory of the season. "I'm extremely proud that, for the second straight year, BGB Motorsports is in contention for a GRAND-AM championship," said John Tecce, team principal of BGB Motorsports, whose team won the 2012 CTSCC GS drivers championship. "Winning at Laguna Seca in the CTSCC and almost winning the GX race gave our team a big boost heading into the final race of the year. Frankly, I'd like to get two wins in a day - which we were so close to at Laguna Seca - which would end our CTSCC season on a big high and lock up the GX championships. The guys have worked so hard all year, and they deserve it." The Rolex Series race will be shown live on Saturday, September 28 at 1:30 PM ET on FOX Sports 2. The GS class will run a standalone race on Saturday, September 28 at 9:50 AM ET, with the race broadcast on Sunday, October 6 at 5:00 PM ET on FOX Sports 1."

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Ummm so no updates about their win that happened this weekend? 5 days later and no new news? :hilarious:

So how come the Mazdas get to go to the GT class next year and the Caymans don't?

(Hint, a certain manufacturer threatened to not participate in the series unless it could dictate what cars from that manufacturer were or were not allowed to compete)

So I guess I'll be rooting for the Mazda or Chevy or Ferrari in the GT class next year...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ummm so no updates about their win that happened this weekend? 5 days later and no new news? :hilarious:

So how come the Mazdas get to go to the GT class next year and the Caymans don't?

(Hint, a certain manufacturer threatened to not participate in the series unless it could dictate what cars from that manufacturer were or were not allowed to compete)

So I guess I'll be rooting for the Mazda or Chevy or Ferrari in the GT class next year...
This is exactly the point I want to know. How come Mazda gets to move up to GT while the Cayman can't? GrandAm is full of bovine feces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts