Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my BGTS on 11/14. From the dealership, it is going directly to a detailer to protect the paint.

One decision that I have been OCD agonizing over is how I want to protect the paint on the car. My choices are XPel Ultimate film, Opti-Coat Pro nano-ceramic coating (or an alternate product Ceramic Pro H9, not nearly as well distributed as Opti-Coat Pro but supposed to be really good stuff), or a combination of both.

Cost breakdown of options:
1a. Opti-coat Pro nano-ceramic entire exterior car (lifetime warranty from detailer) + CQuartz glass coating = $900
or
1b. Ceramic Pro H9 entire exterior car (lifetime warranty) = $1900 (is anyone familiar with this product???)
plus
2. Xpel Ultimate entire nose of car (full fenders, hood, bumper) and all other forward facing surfaces (mirrors, intakes, etc) = $1800
3. CQuartz leather and fabric protection (or similar brand if not good on Alcantara) entire interior of car = $400

I am thinking about just going with the Opti-coat Pro nano-ceramic of the entire exterior + letting the detailer CQuartz the interior. If this gives me 98% protection (from everything except large fast moving stones), I may take my chances and save the $1800 by eliminating the Xpel Ultimate. I would put this money towards a radar/laser system.

Anybody have any experience with this scenario? Or other advice? This is uncharted territory for me and I am not sure what to do. And it ain't cheap! My budget for any mods is about $3500.

Help me out P-9 brothers and sisters, I really need you on this one!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think your really over thinking this decision.
To me options 1& 3 are designed to sell you protection with fancy technical terms that mean nothing and results that may ot may not be objectively determined.
I picked up my PTS Boxster and did nothing. A burst of rust from under a semi caused a small divot in the front hood which caused me to rethink protection. The hoods and doors are made of aluminum and as a substrate, not as hard as steel. I had the dealer wrap the front end, if I had it to do over again, I might wrap the doors also.
a
After 1.5 years, 11K miles, no problems, exerior or interior(no protection).
To my thinknig, if you want protection, you require an actual physical barrier.
My advise is also to take delivery, do what you want and just enjoy the car and don't worry about it.-Richard

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think you can get a better deal on the Xpel, but here is my take on it: I would definitely recommend a film over the other options (only because I have no real knowledge of the other two!)

What I can say from experience with the film is that not only has it saved my butt a couple times, a good installer can spot replace any section that get's ruined. I scraped a small portion of my bumper, just enough to scuff the film, but not the paint. For $100, I was able to have a seam cut in that you really need to inspect to see. I like that kind of versatility.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I went with the Xpel Ultimate for $2200 Cdn. Full hood, fenders, bumper, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, a pillars and roof. I watched some video on the nano stuff being apply and really not sure if it does anything to protect the car.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've also been vacillating on the decision to install Xpel or not. Had myself convinced to do it, then changed course and picked up car without having had it installed, now having second thoughts. May schedule appointment to have it done just so I can stop thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I had 3M on my 08 CS which I drove as a DD for close to three years (28,000 miles). I had a Cayman R with XPel and drove it as a DD for a year. I now have the 981 Cayman with XPel as a DD. I have been very pleased with the essentially blemish free look of the car in all three cases due to the protection it seems to afford. As an aside, I did not do this on my wife's 2013 CC and after one year as a DD in similar conditions as mine, the front end was really dinged up........she now has a new A3 and I immediately had XPel installed and over the past 6 months, much of which is drives to and Charlotte from south Florida on 195, the front end is pretty muchy blemish free (same type driving that killed the CC's finish).

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
It's a car. It gets scratched. I hate it when my car gets scratched but I live with it. :cheers:
Man I wish I could come to terms with this as easily as you have...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good advice. As for the comment that I am over thinking this, LOL. If I only had a nickel for every time I heard that! It is the way I roll. Serves me great in my professional career, but drives people bat **** crazy sometimes!!

Bottom line is that I just want to make a smart decision.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I pick up mine on the 7th. I have been mulling over protection film and glass tinting. Still indecisive.

However i feel dubious about glass coating which is intangible making me wonder if the detailer really did the proper job. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415148064.104006.jpg
Congrats on your car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I would say definitely get the X-pel. I see no down side to it but you need to make sure the installer is top notch or you won't be happy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went with the Xpel Ultimate for $2200 Cdn. Full hood, fenders, bumper, lights, mirrors, rocker panels, a pillars and roof. I watched some video on the nano stuff being apply and really not sure if it does anything to protect the car.
Opti-coat is a good product which many pro detailers, but it's not intended to protect the car from chips and scratches. Think of it more like a wax coating. Opti-coat is very good for wheels and protects all paints from fallout and other contaminants.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Go full car coverage...or go naked. Nano ceramic looks like snake oil to me; Xpel has some street cred. I choose to go naked...I have scars on my body (partially) as a result of a life well lived, why should my car be any different?

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently got my Boxster GTS and after reading the forum I decided to opt for Xpel and did the full front end, full doors, rockers and the back up to the body line extending to the rear. I also got the exposed paint surfaces Opti-coated, including having the wheels taken off and done inside and out. I had the interior done with
opti-coat's leather protectant as well. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

A friend has a 2012 991 and I saw it just before I took delivery and was shocked and dismayed to see how many chips he had on his front end. He had taken the car on several long trips and likes to drive fast. That was the deciding factor for me, as I had read here how Porsche moved to a water based paint, which chips more easily then previous generations. Seeing his car made spending the money really easy. Drove from the dealer to the detailer and waited 3 more agonizing days.

For the most part I am happy with the Xpel though some of it is going to be redone. My advise would be to find a skilled installer and to not go with the die cut option and to get as much wrapped around the edges as possible. The die cut leaves some exposed paint and over time I think it will get weathered and be noticeable. Also, dirt builds up there, which makes detectable when other wise you can barely see it. My installer is redoing a few sections that I am not happy with. Find someone who will stand by their work.

I had the Xpel Opti-coated as well and I have to say it seems to work very well. I sadly have to drive in the rain until my other car is back in January, but I hose it off after driving and it looks clean. Get your wheels done, as the break dust hardly sticks at all and you can hose most of it off.

The leather coating if you look on youtube shows how you can get it wet, get oil on it, wine coffee ext and just wipe it off. Parts were streaky, but have been redone and look good. Time will tell if it makes a difference. I read about some who spilled a drink on their seat and stained it. (I know, drinking in the car wtf?)

For the record I have the standard 20 inch wheels in partial black and the Carrera white metallic paint, with a red top and interior. I think that all beautiful Porsche deserve every assistance to keep them pristine. I know I feel so much better knowing that there is shield between my paint and the hazards of the road.

I kept reading how people didn't do it, got a few chips and wished they had done it right away. Insurance is not something you care about until it saves you life, or paint as the case may be...
:dance:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nano ceramic looks like snake oil to me
You've clearly done zero research on it. Nearly all high end detailers are using nano ceramic coatings as they last for up to 2 years between applications. This is not the spray on sealant snake oil that most dealers try to push (although some dealers may use good products like cquartz or opti-coat). The ceramic coatings the pro's use are real long lasting sealants that make keeping your car clean easy and make it look great at the same time. Browse any full detail threads (including the one on this forum) and you'll see opti-coat and cquartz used on corrected paint.

And tt's not about being afraid of marks on the car, it's about prolonging the looks of the car throughout ownership. You wash your car, you polish your car, you do touch ups on chips you get over the years. Everyone has their own tolerance for how much work they want to put into maintaining their cars looks, some do more than others. Some would even wonder why you bother washing a car as often as we do, "its just going to get dirty again!".

So while people will garage their cars to keep them perfect and others drive the wheels off as its the way the car should be driven. Realize there is a vast middle ground and these technologies allow for you drive the car hard and keep it looking near flawless.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You've clearly done zero research on it. Nearly all high end detailers are using nano ceramic coatings as they last for up to 2 years between applications. This is not the spray on sealant snake oil that most dealers try to push (although some dealers may use good products like cquartz or opti-coat). The ceramic coatings the pro's use are real long lasting sealants that make keeping your car clean easy and make it look great at the same time. Browse any full detail threads (including the one on this forum) and you'll see opti-coat and cquartz used on corrected paint.

And tt's not about being afraid of marks on the car, it's about prolonging the looks of the car throughout ownership. You wash your car, you polish your car, you do touch ups on chips you get over the years. Everyone has their own tolerance for how much work they want to put into maintaining their cars looks, some do more than others. Some would even wonder why you bother washing a car as often as we do, "its just going to get dirty again!".

So while people will garage their cars to keep them perfect and others drive the wheels off as its the way the car should be driven. Realize there is a vast middle ground and these technologies allow for you drive the car hard and keep it looking near flawless.
The problem is you never know if the detailer did the real job since it is intangible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

You have no idea what research I have done. Research aside, in my personal and direct experience, a large percentage of detailers (high end or not) are merely shills for expensive, unnecessary products, and I do not consider their opinions valuable or credible. If people want to spend time and money fussing over the paint on their cars, that's their business. If people believe suppliers that don't provide test results from respected, independent labs to corroborate product claims, that's also their business. If these paint products actually protected a car's finish as claimed, you can bet manufacturers would be applying them at the factory as the final step of the paint process. At any rate, the last thing on my list of life priorities is keeping a car looking "near flawless." I wash my vehicles regularly, wax and polish them occasionally, and touch up chips as required. They look like what they are at resale time: used cars that have been well cared for.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I personally like the C-quartz I had applied to my black 06 CS. It's amazing stuff, and I believe it will last longer than 2 years on my car as it is a garage kept car. It's self cleaning to a degree. I have am older 3m clear bra which will be replaced eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415329098.727328.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts