Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The only Porsche roof rack is on a 987 or 911.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 718's roof does not have the fittings necessary for the Tequipment roof transport system. Nor are there roof gutters like on my old VW GTi that I could clamp my cross bars onto.

Supposedly, Yakima does make one: FatCat 4 Evo - Black

·
Registered
10 Posts

I know this is an old post, but thought I’d share how I transport my bikes.

Seasucker sell bike carriers that use suction pads. I was very nervous the first few times I used it. But so far so good.

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would advise you to take off your bike kit bags from under your seats. Going 60-70 mph, they could fly off and impact another car in the other lane or behind you. Some weight weenies suggest emptying out the repair kit of pressurized CO2 gas cylinders, if your bags is zip tied to the seat, as they could do some damage if they fell out of your bag going hwy speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I know this is an old post, but thought I’d share how I transport my bikes.

Seasucker sell bike carriers that use suction pads. I was very nervous the first few times I used it. But so far so good.

Sarah

I just purchased a Seasucker Talon, but am most concerned about several hours of travel at highway speeds.
Do you have any experience with distances at speed.
Beautiful Midnight Blue Cayman!
Same as mine!!
Thanks for the comments.
MF
I

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would advise you to take off your bike kit bags from under your seats. Going 60-70 mph, they could fly off and impact another car in the other lane or behind you. Some weight weenies suggest emptying out the repair kit of pressurized CO2 gas cylinders, if your bags is zip tied to the seat, as they could do some damage if they fell out of your bag going hwy speeds.
Thank you good tip. I don’t remove them actually and has been fine. But will remove going forward

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a Seasucker Talon, but am most concerned about several hours of travel at highway speeds.
Do you have any experience with distances at speed.
Beautiful Midnight Blue Cayman!
Same as mine!!
Thanks for the comments.
MF
I
I was very nervous the first few times I took the car down the motorway..

I also went though the habit of stopping the car every 30 mins or so to check it. And it’s always be fine.

I drive at steady speeds and do avoid driving in high winds.

Just need to trust it

Sarah

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't believe your saddle bag is at risk of coming off if it's held on by straps, not just "friction clips". However, I always remove frame pumps if not strapped on.
MOO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a note to potential SeaSucker buyers - if you have a wrap or PPF, the SeaSucker is not recommended, as the vacuum could pull the film away from the body panel. I'm still looking for some other solution, or resigning to using the wife's Grand Cherokee to haul bikes.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
153 Posts
Just a note to potential SeaSucker buyers - if you have a wrap or PPF, the SeaSucker is not recommended, as the vacuum could pull the film away from the body panel. I'm still looking for some other solution, or resigning to using the wife's Grand Cherokee to haul bikes.
I’ve had GoPro’s fly off a waxed car, so I’d agree, maybe use a little dawn soap around the suction cup area...

I was looking at those 65’ Nord carriers... those look pretty cool

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm a newbie here. I even don't know much about a roof rack for Bicycle. But I am interested in it. Thanks!
Carla- Tread carefully here with this topic as there are potential hazards that could impact other drivers behind you or even in the other traffic lanes. Sealsuckers do work, if attached to bare paint, but then who uses just bare paint? Most Porsche owners use some sort of ceramic or other coatings especially film. The rap could be undone from your roof by the vacuum of the sealsucker and your bikes flug off your roof. Make sure this system is compatible with your cars paint coatings.

Reactions: Carla Gross

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carla- Tread carefully here with this topic as there are potential hazards that could impact other drivers behind you or even in the other traffic lanes. Sealsuckers do work, if attached to bare paint, but then who uses just bare paint? Most Porsche owners use some sort of ceramic or other coatings especially film. The rap could be undone from your roof by the vacuum of the sealsucker and your bikes flug off your roof. Make sure this system is compatible with your cars paint coatings.
Thanks for your reply. I at least got some kind of idea from your reply. Thank you so much for the details.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The whole thing sounds scary to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
World Tour teams use Sea Sucker with multiple bikes on the roof at break neck speeds without issue.

The concern about paint protection film adherence is legit - I would say not advised at all.

Waxed cars are fine, but a simple wipe of the suction cups with alcohol and same for install location on the roof for perfect fit.
Never leave stuff on your bike. Even velcro will weaken if you get caught in rain/wet. There are some cool B-string type covers so your bikes don’t get covered in bugs/road crud if you want to take it to the next level

1 - 18 of 18 Posts