Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked outside on a ramp (front up) and left passenger window half opened (without realising it).
Unfortunately I left it there for a few hours under torrential rain.
When I came back I had all passenger (right) seat wet, the right door and the carpet underneath the passenger seat all damped.
I dried the lot and the advanced the seat and raised the carpet from the back of it.
I found that, underneath the carpet, there was a little pool of water that I am still trying to dry up with paper.
The car seems OK: it is now in the garage, the two doors opened and the garage heater at full power.

Anybody got an idea of what I could have damaged?
Will the leather on the door suffer of this?
And what about the Bode speakers?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
50 Posts
when I bought my first Boxster (used '04), it had apparently been owned by someone who parked under a tree and the drains under the top were clogged with leaves. I got a lot of water leaked into my passenger side and didn't notice for a week or so. Anyway, it cleaned up fine and never smelled or anything. and since you got yours drying right away, I expect your Cayman will come out ok. Good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
You should be fine. The leather in these cars is a protected (topcoated) leather and the hide won't be bothered in the least. You can get a rain soak into the foam interior of the seat through seams and the leather perforations, but that will eventually dry out as well. If the carpets are really soaked, then put a small portable fan in the interior of the car overnight while in the garage and let it run all night with the windows down. Dries out the interior quickly that way.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Parked outside on a ramp (front up) and left passenger window half opened (without realising it).
Unfortunately I left it there for a few hours under torrential rain.
When I came back I had all passenger (right) seat wet, the right door and the carpet underneath the passenger seat all damped.
I dried the lot and the advanced the seat and raised the carpet from the back of it.
I found that, underneath the carpet, there was a little pool of water that I am still trying to dry up with paper.
The car seems OK: it is now in the garage, the two doors opened and the garage heater at full power.

Anybody got an idea of what I could have damaged?
Will the leather on the door suffer of this?
And what about the Bode speakers?

Thanks for any advice

If you have room in the garage, I'd strongly recommend the purchase of a small wet-vac at your local big-box store. They are great for sucking the moisture out of wet carpets and off the floor. You can also use it later for vacuuming the (dry) mats, carpets etc. and keeping your car and garage nice. You don't have to use them wet, but you can when the need arises.

Don't buy the giant ones unless you have a lot of surplus space. They take up too much room in a small garage. It's easier for most of us to just empty the thing everytime you use it than having a big vacuum to store. No matter how much room I think I have in my garage, I always find some use for the empty space.

Hope that helps. Good luck. I think it'll pull through OK.

·
Registered
358 Posts
+ 1 on shop-vac

Buy the biggest and cheapest bags of rice you can find. Place the bags of rice on the car floor in a way where you WILL NOT SPILL any rice. Cut a few holes into the bags of rice to expose as much rice to the open air in the car as possible. Left for a couple of days the rice will draw much moisture/humidity from the interior. When removing the bags of rice again be careful not to spill rice all over your interior.

If you are careful you can use a sheet or towel as a barrier and pour the rice directly on the sheet/towel to aid pulling moisture from the carpet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
+ 1 on shop-vac

Buy the biggest and cheapest bags of rice you can find. Place the bags of rice on the car floor in a way where you WILL NOT SPILL any rice. Cut a few holes into the bags of rice to expose as much rice to the open air in the car as possible. Left for a couple of days the rice will draw much moisture/humidity from the interior. When removing the bags of rice again be careful not to spill rice all over your interior.

If you are careful you can use a sheet or towel as a barrier and pour the rice directly on the sheet/towel to aid pulling moisture from the carpet.
I use a product called DampRid in my Harley saddle bags. After a summer of the black bags in the sun, water would condensate inside the bags. Some of my leather was ruined, moldy and water damaged. I got some DampRid and put it in the bags. It dried out the bags completely. I now keep a small bags of this product in the saddle bags to keep them dry and preserve my tools and riding accessories. It works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts