Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 518 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've surrendered to male menopause or perhaps I'm just going insane but my engine is going back together bigger than 3.4L. How much bigger you say? Well at least 3.6 via a bigger bore but perhaps 3.7, 3.8 or 4.0.

Physically I'm sure we can do 3.8L with a 99mm bore and a crank from a 3.6L.

To go to 4.0L will require 101mm bore and I don't know if my block will support it yet.

Another factor is tuning to support other than the standard TPC 3.7 build. I'm working with Vision and TPC to be sure we can get a good tune on it.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,859 Posts
going??? :taunt: Too late, my friend, that horse left the barn long ago! :hilarious: (takes one to know one, as the saying goes...)
Best wishes on your engine build, whatever its final displacement. :cheers:

So I've surrendered to male menopause or perhaps I'm just going insane but my engine is going back together bigger than 3.4L. How much bigger you say? Well at least 3.6 via a bigger bore but perhaps 3.7, 3.8 or 4.0.

Physically I'm sure we can do 3.8L with a 99mm bore and a crank from a 3.6L.

To go to 4.0L will require 101mm bore and I don't know if my block will support it yet.

Another factor is tuning to support other than the standard TPC 3.7 build. I'm working with Vision and TPC to be sure we can get a good tune on it.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
What's going on with you buddy? Every month you make a new decision... and the car stays collecting dust! Porsche is now working on their new 982 Boxster design... hurry up!

Is it final? Girth increase? If so, go as big as your pockets would allow.

Reactions: JSouthland

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I said male menopause, I can't make up my mind! LOL Actually several factors at play. Going bigger with Vision doing the work is less expensive than I thought it would be. I have some personal issues to contend with right now so I can't travel to any cooler locations to track the car (it's over 100F every day in the summer here) and we are taking our tme to be sure that due dilligence is done for the mechanical work and tuning.

I'm not yet sure what the final displacement will be but I'm sure mine will be bigger than yours!!:dance:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm not yet sure what the final displacement will be but I'm sure mine will be bigger than yours!!:dance:
I don't think yours will be bigger than this guy's! He is working on a 4.2.

914World.com - A Porsche 914 Community / Forum / Club

Tuning the car is the easy part. Getting everything to work together takes some time. My local shop did a 3.6 to a 4.2 and it took months to get the everything fabricated and more time to troubleshoot what came up and sort it out.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tuning the car is the easy part. Getting everything to work together takes some time. My local shop did a 3.6 to a 4.2 and it took months to get the everything fabricated and more time to troubleshoot what came up and sort it out.
Very cool a one of a kind 4.2L CS! Is this what the new GT3 engine will look like? Someone will alwas have a bigger more powerful engine. I'm just happy mine will be bigger than Hassaan's LOL

Mine won't be bigger that the 9A1 4.2L but I'll bet it will make more power.

BTW TPC has already done a 4.2L turbo engine

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Tach, thank you for sharing... What a beast!

DiverDog, we all heard about TPC's 4.2L but we never saw it. If it was done, why wasn't there a big announcement? Dyno results... etc? I'd love to see the dyno graph of that engine especially if it was turbo charged... but I doubt it saw the light yet.

As for your engine, I truly wish it will get bigger than mine. That would be a jaw dropping horse... power ;)

But so far mine & Dr. G's are the biggest on the Planet :D Therefore until then you shall address me as your Master :taunt:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Hassann oh great one, I'm on my knees worshiping your mistress. :D

My block is on the way to LN and we'll see how much bigger than 3.7L it will be. My understanding is that there is some variance in the castings, but even if it can only support 99mm it will be a 3.8L

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
My block is on the way to LN and we'll see how much bigger than 3.7L it will be. My understanding is that there is some variance in the castings, but even if it can only support 99mm it will be a 3.8L
Great news!

Any idea if there's a TPC map for anything above 3.7L?

You better start shopping for wider rims and tires... Seriously you have no idea what kind of monster you could be bringing home.

Any idea how long the build will take? Looking forward for the dyno results!

Best of luck buddy...

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knowing Bruce it will be 4.2L and he will dial it back to 2psi! Happy for you man!
Yep thats about right for the boost:cheers:

I won't be able to afford new tires! :hilarious:On the street it will be stock sizes for wheels and tires. On track Rear 10" 18 x 275mm front 8.5" 18x245 BFG-R1

When it's time for new street tires I'll most likely change to Michelin SS 285x245 x18

Remember oh Master Hassaan I only whip my mistress on track. Thats where she gets to wear her 5" heel FMP's. On the street it's earth shoes.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It looks like it will be a straightforward job if you're not changing the stroke. A new crankshaft opens up a new can of worms. I can see your car without a heart for at least 2 to 3 months, and even longer if there's a hiccup.

Don't dial back the boost. Get LN's strengthened everything and crank up the boost controller.

As for a new map, my tuner traveled from Cali for a custom dyno tuning weekend in South Florida. With Diverdog being in Vegas, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone close by.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
...I'm not yet sure what the final displacement will be but I'm sure mine will be bigger than yours!!:dance:
Its not the size that counts. Its how well you are able to use it.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Tach I'm in the South Florida are could you pm me the name of your shop? Thanks.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not the size that counts. Its how well you are able to use it.
Guy's with little ones always say that:hilarious:

Just kidding on the displacement and boost. It won't be a 4.2L and the boost won't be 2psi. I'm thinking more along the lines of lo boost setting ~4psi (crappy 91 octane gas) and hight boost ~8psi for the track.

Build time depends on LN ~4-7 weeks for machine work. Vision will have it together & in the car in about a week after they get the parts back from LN

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Block arrived today from LN as promised but no pistons yet!!!:wall:

1 - 20 of 518 Posts