Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

481 - 500 of 518 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Busy day today. The new man toy 818R arrived followed shortly by the "Beast Cayman" back from the Hotel California. Garage is not ready for the build yet. Still waiting for the NDT guy to mark out the post tension cables before I order and install the lift. Added some tire storage yesterday.

Attachments

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
One of these days I'll run out of things to break. Willow Springs claimed the hose from the turbo to the intercooler. It popped off and was burned on the exhaust piping. Vision has fabbed a solid pipe and retaining clamps to prevent it from happening again. They are also improving the piping from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body. Notice the gold foil covering. The whole car ought to be covered with it! :crazy:

I'll test it at Spring Mountain this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
When are you going to hit Spring Mountain this weekend? I'd like to see it in action!

And I'll be moving back to the east coast next month....

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Yes, I'm planning on being there as long as I have the car back tomorrow as planned!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Methos, looks like I won't be getting the car back till tomorrow morning so I won't be a SM till Sunday.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
The car ran very well but hotter than usual in the 100+ weather, easily keeping up with a GT3 RS while in low boost (460 WHP). It was great to be able to get in four runs even though the heat was brutal!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
So is there such a thing as too much power in a street car? For me I'm beginning to think the answer is yes. I've been enjoying driving my car in this nice cool weather (75-85)and it's running very strong. But even in low boost with 295 sticky street tires 1st and 2nd gear will be spin city at full throttle. 3rd gear is unreal but illegal speeds arrive instantly. I drive very conservatively on the street and I'm starting to wonder why I embarked on such a science project. I think it was most likely as a distraction when my wife was very ill. I'm thinking now I will convert the car to a 100% track toy with a full cage etc.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
American streets have no room for super cars. They belong on the track so go for it.

Personally, HP, torque, and weight have diminishing returns and it starts to be come psychological eventually.

....imagine having to gently tap the gas with 10L engine and always drive in 6 gear to be legal...pointless.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
So is there such a thing as too much power in a street car? For me I'm beginning to think the answer is yes. I've been enjoying driving my car in this nice cool weather (75-85)and it's running very strong. But even in low boost with 295 sticky street tires 1st and 2nd gear will be spin city at full throttle. 3rd gear is unreal but illegal speeds arrive instantly. I drive very conservatively on the street and I'm starting to wonder why I embarked on such a science project. I think it was most likely as a distraction when my wife was very ill. I'm thinking now I will convert the car to a 100% track toy with a full cage etc.
+1 on this. Having mega-hp is great, but for street driving you can pass a threshold where it becomes 'un-fun' because your sense of caution begins to outweigh the floor the accelerator enjoyment. You begin to barely be able to touch the accelerator coming around an exit ramp, off a red light change to green, or zipping around some back road somewhere. With gravel, undulations, debris, and other 'innocent' cars in play, it becomes more difficult to really open the car up on a long public road straightaway somewhere, interstate included. At least with a moderate hp on a performance car you can really drive the wheels off of the car no matter where you are and still remain safe for you, the car, and the other motorists on the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full. Questions about your build and what you would recommend if you had to do it over.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
PM box has space now. What would I do differently? well cutting the build / development time by about 500% would be nice! LOL I was very pleased with the final outcome. Minimum turbo lag. monster torque, strong pull to red line. Very docile to drive easy and a total rocket ship at full throttle. Vision knows how to build and more importantly tune the 4.0L turbo now and could build you one quickly.

Mine is being "detuned" to 450 WHP to meet class rules

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So is there such a thing as too much power in a street car? For me I'm beginning to think the answer is yes. . . . . etc.
Isn't this question akin to the girls at Sherri' s asking if guy ever has too much money Driverdog?

I think Mark Donahue's answer was, (paraphrasing), "Only when it stops leaving black stripes in every gear."

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Isn't this question akin to the girls at Sherri' s asking if guy ever has too much money Driverdog?

I think Mark Donahue's answer was, (paraphrasing), "Only when it stops leaving black stripes in every gear."
In theory I agree that there is no such thing as too much power. But in practice when driving on the street now I'd rarely use all the power of a base Cayman. Since I've been driving on the track I've lost interest in driving briskly on the street.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
Unintended consequences? Initially I had brainstormed with Vision to convert the car to a twin turbo to improve throttle response and we decided not to do it because of the tuning issues with the stock computer. Along the way we decided to change to an AEM DME to eliminate issues with solid tranny and engine mounts triggering the knock sensors. While fitting the diffuser we discovered that there is no room for a crossover exhaust pipe so we made the decision to go with the twin turbos since the tuning issue is moot.

After some careful analysis and lots of research Turbonetics was the only company that had an appropriate compressor and turbine and they are building it custom for me. So more delays and no way I'm going to have the car for Big Willow mid May. No additional HP but we expect to have much better throttle response due to segregating the cylinder banks exhaust and lower rotational inertia from the smaller lighter turbo wheels.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of the turbo setup, or that Spring Mountain is in your back yard. Both are envious... enjoy!

But even in low boost with 295 sticky street tires 1st and 2nd gear will be spin city at full throttle. 3rd gear is unreal but illegal speeds arrive instantly.
Out of curiosity, are we talking Pilot Super Sports? RE-11s? Sport Cup 2?

I'm curious where the power/traction limitation is for these tires and sizes... I remember when I used to race the Viper, and the original only had 400 Hp stock, equipped with 335 rear tires. Of course, tire tech has come a long way, and the torque was monstrous. The new GT3 has 305s... but more weight over the rear wheels.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Spring Mountain is a fun track for DE, but kind of narrow for racing. The tires are BF Goodrich Rivals. They are pretty sticky but not up to the task of holding over 500 lb/ft of torque in the lower gears. Of course the stiff springs and shocks don't allow good weight transfer for hole shots! LOL

481 - 500 of 518 Posts