Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some searching, but haven't seen too many reviews on the Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers.

Anybody have them, and can shed some light on how they ride, and what-not and everything?

V3s have too much adjustment for me, the car is just a daily car which gets hooned around on Mountain Roads whenever I have some time.

I guess another comparison/choice would be the KW V1s also. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kind of person!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
WOW... a "non-GT4" topic !! yea.
There are a lot of folks that have installed and used PSS9's I installed them on a "base" 2007 Cayman because the stock suspension sort of "floated" while negotiating some "high speed" (ok, for me high speed) corners at Thunderhill. I wanted to 1) lower the car for intrinsically improved cornering, and 2) have the shock adjustability to span the "track" world and "real" world.

For me, the PSS9s accomplished both points. As part of the install, I had the shop essentially match the alignment and ride height of a Cayman R. With the shocks set "midway" firm, the car stopped that floating sensation and became a much more confident drive. For me, I set to the "softest" setting for the rest of the time -- though this is a bit more harsh than OEM suspensions for my base '07. But it is soft enough to live in the real world.

So, I have a good outcome with the install and I didn't even go into the next level of sophistication, e.g. corner balancing, etc.

Frankly, I don't see any downside to the install -- although, it remains to be seen if moving the car off OEM specs makes the car more difficult to see (I'm in the process of moving to a '15 CGTS). I'll know the answer to "that" question in a couple months!

Don

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Have you considered the Cayman R suspension? Reasonable price, and it's tested by Porsche engineers ... at least they reckon it's worthy of a setup to put it on to the best 987 car that rolled out of the factory.

If you aren't a crazy track junkie who wants a lot of adjustments, I think that's a better choice. Much harder to go wrong than a set of adjustable coilovers with too many adjustments. all at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Good point Zinger... for me, the R-suspension parts were not available when I started sliding down "that" slope.
I'd still make sure the car is correctly aligned (set up) to those R-specifications.
D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
LOL. It's a terrible slope. I told myself I'm gonna keep this car stock, but my car seems far from that now haha.

Anyway, the R alignment isn't really anything special. Just a tiny bit more negative camber compared to a normal car. You could dial in a bit more negative camber if your mechanic is willing to do it. Either case, I've sat in R suspension setup. Personally I think it's one of the best passive suspension for a mostly street driven car.

I have PASM on mine, so I went with the Bilstein ones. But then I don't need to worry about setting the stiffness for front and rear as they are preset anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cayman R suspension isn't quite on my list. Reason being, i'd like to get a little lower than the R Suspension allows me to.

Seems like the PSS9s are a good choice then!

I'm trying to tell myself i'll keep it stock, but, I don't think that's going to work out too well. I do however, think I can keep myself from modding too quickly, and getting bored of the vehicle though, lol.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i got em in stock if you want.. i ship to HK all the time..

Lemon
I have to say. Even after the cost of shipping, stuff in the US really is cheaper. Distributors in HK do charge and arm and a leg for these parts.

Just do a bulk purchase including any other mods you plan to do, and save on shipping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have them on my 987.2 pdk. I DE the car 4-5 events per year. The PSS9s have made a substantial improvement over stock. I also upgraded the LCAs, Toelinks and Compression links when I added the PSS9s. On the track, I run the fronts fully stiff and the rears two clicks from full stiff. The car has been lowered ~1.25 inches due to this upgrade.

·
Registered
408 Posts
For the PSS9s for PASM cars... is there just 2 settings, the PASM "normal or sport" setting? No other knobs to adjust? Besides the ride height adjustment with the springs, of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 07 cayman s non pasm i drive on road with the occasional track day. The stock suspension was too high, the ride too harsh running 19 inch wheels and worst of all was the body roll when pushing the car in corners. Had my local indy fit pss9, h and r anti roll bars and do fast road geo, i think my car is probably lower than a cayman r (possibly 25-30mm from stock) and i do have to be careful on speed bumps. I would say for road use and occasional track days it is 100 pct perfect. The ride is actually slightly less harsh than before even running quite hard settings (i run 3 rear, 4 front) and with the anti roll bars the body roll is just right. Once i adjusted the settings to where i liked them (and the setting adjustment does actually work so you can set them quite soft or quite hard) i just leave it - Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an 07 cayman s non pasm i drive on road with the occasional track day. The stock suspension was too high, the ride too harsh running 19 inch wheels and worst of all was the body roll when pushing the car in corners. Had my local indy fit pss9, h and r anti roll bars and do fast road geo, i think my car is probably lower than a cayman r (possibly 25-30mm from stock) and i do have to be careful on speed bumps. I would say for road use and occasional track days it is 100 pct perfect. The ride is actually slightly less harsh than before even running quite hard settings (i run 3 rear, 4 front) and with the anti roll bars the body roll is just right. Once i adjusted the settings to where i liked them (and the setting adjustment does actually work so you can set them quite soft or quite hard) i just leave it - Couldn't be happier.
This is really good to hear!

I actually find with the 19s right now, the ride is quite harsh too. I don't really mind it per say, but, I'd really like to smoothen it out. Would not mind stiffer, but not as "harsh", if that makes sense.

Will likely be going with Coils first, and then Sways/LCAs afterwards. I usually do all my stuff in 1 go, but I want to actually learn/feel the difference each mod makes this time around!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts