Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

BJ Carrera 3.2

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chows4us 
#1 · (Edited)
Lot 658, a white 1984 Carrera 3.2 Coupe just sold at $25,000. MSRP was $31,950. 1984 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

0 - 60 in 5.3, top speed 149 mph and one of the major car magazines at the time (forget which one) said it was the fastest car they tested in 1984 outside of a Countach.

That car retained 78% of its value after 31 years. :) (options are worthless). 76,000 cars were produced of all variants, coupe, targa, and cabrio over 6 years.

You all think a 2015 981 or 991 car will retain 86% of its value in 2046?

Lot 726, 1998 Boxster, white with red interior with "every" option. Sold $15,000 MSRP 41,000. With every possible Option? but options have no value. ~37% of its value

#2 ·
You all think a 2015 981 or 991 car will retain 86% of its value in 2046?
Partly depends on whether old internal combustion vehicles are socially acceptable in 2046. If so, it will be the unusual 981/991s that are most interesting...a 6-speed 981 or 991 GTS, for example, or any one of the true GTs, including the GT4. I think 987.2 Rs and Spyders (along with the 981 Spypder) might also retain their value exceptionally well.

#3 ·
They have to do something with the interiors. It's a major turn off for me when it comes to classics. The steering wheel, the awkward MT, the crooked pedals, seats, dashboard, cassette player... etc.

A company should gut all the interior and replace it with a simple yet modern one.

I know everybody here would disagree but.. sorry :(

#4 ·
I'm thinking an ancient 911 may not be what you want. Newer cars are better in every quantifiable and theoretical way. Regardless, I love the old black-face VDO gauges including one for oil temp, one for oil pressure and one for oil level. And the analog clock in the 911 spoils me as it is much easier to read than the little digital display in my Cayman and Lexus.

Gutting and replacing the dash will not get you a modern, computer controlled, ABS-equiped car. So if you do get one, please don't try to make it something it is not; instead, please try to make it as original as possible and then drive it within it's safe limits.

If you could somehow get a chance to drive one such that you could feel it on the road and smell it and listen, then you could make a decision about these issues. But if you cannot drive one, you may want to pass. You seem too concerned about several issues - which may or may not become true to you if you get one.

If you're ever in the SF Bay Area, you're welcome to come and drive mine and see what you think.

I guess I like old stuff.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.