Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lot of repaving going on in our part of metro Atlanta, so I spent some time this past weekend removing my wheels to clean hundreds of little tar boogers from the inside of them. During the installation and removal process, it dawned on me just how much I did not like the looks of the standard, silver/galvanized lug bolts on my 2010 Boxster base. In traffic yesterday, I noticed a 981 Boxster S that had the sharp looking combination of silver wheels and black lug bolts. I've looked at a few of the usual Porsche supplier sites, and none of them seem to stock a black OEM lug bolt set for the 2010 cars. I have found a number of aftermarket outfits that do sell whole sets of "OEM quality" black lug bolt sets. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket lug bolts?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Or me... Same manufacturer of the mercedes bolts...little different .. So no porsche crazy price...See wheel spacer special .. For a close up on the 1st page Lemon.

·
Incurable Gearhead
964 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mike,
Otis makes a nice set of bolt covers...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FY0H94/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nOAPvbJ3ZXD1Q

Wish I had a better/closer pic for you, but they fit perfect and look great.
View attachment 60822

If nothing else, these might hold you over till you decide on some new bolts.
'Cause yea, the stock bolts look absolutely horrid.
Agreed. I've had my bolt covers about a year and like them a lot. They are easy to remove and never get dinged up. I think they also look better than stock due to their larger head size (about 25mm vs 19mm) and convex vs concave surface.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Why just black:). Sorry I got bored one day
IMG_0004.JPG

Reactions: mikeearly

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just spray painted mine. I drilled holes in the top of a box for the them to go into, and painted away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thought about using gun blue (you can get black too)? I haven't tried it but it might work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had given some thought to hitting the existing lug bolts with some paint (hadn't considered trying cold blue, good idea). If I had easy access to a blast cabinet, I might have considered blasting them and refinishing the heads, but the heads were scratched up and gnarly looking from past sockets. I wound up ordering a set of 20 black zinc plated lug bolts from ECS Tuning. A couple of guys over on one of the 911 forums had good things to say about them. I also got a padded 19mm Titan lug socket from Autozone. Hopefully I will be abel to keep the new lug bolts looking good.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

Mike

·
Registered
532 Posts
i bought my set from ecstuning, you do have to be careful with them as they will wear depending on how often/rough you are taking off and putting them on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts