Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went on to Cars.com to peruse the new caymans at dealers throughout the country. I did this in order to see what dealers had on their lots and also to look at the photos to see what color combos look the most appealing. To my chagrin it appears that 75% of the 171 listed cars have black exteriors. Of the 25% that were left, 75% of those had black interiors. That leaves 5% of the vehicles for those of us that really don't want black. I'm at a loss to understand the reason for this. Is there a giant black paint sale in Germany? Is the coming of winter putting everyone in a dark mood? Is it true that only 5% of us cayman fans want something other than black? I hope this sad state of affairs changes in the Spring.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Unfortunately, in most parts of the country if you are looking for silver, black or gray, you're in luck. Anything else seems to require a special order. Same thing with BMWs. Seems like dealer studies must show these colors to be in demand, as they only want to order cars they can move quickly!

·
Porsche Prophet
942 Posts
Unfortunately, in most parts of the country if you are looking for silver, black or gray, you're in luck. Anything else seems to require a special order. Same thing with BMWs. Seems like dealer studies must show these colors to be in demand, as they only want to order cars they can move quickly!
I agree...here in the Northeast the cars that go fast (off the lots) are the colors that are in demand...silver, gray and black... although, a NJ dealer had a few sherbet color Boxsters on hand a few months ago...they looked very cool...but out of place here...now if I were in Florida...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Henry Ford lives!!!;) 987f

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I just went on to Cars.com to peruse the new caymans at dealers throughout the country. I did this in order to see what dealers had on their lots and also to look at the photos to see what color combos look the most appealing. To my chagrin it appears that 75% of the 171 listed cars have black exteriors. Of the 25% that were left, 75% of those had black interiors. That leaves 5% of the vehicles for those of us that really don't want black. I'm at a loss to understand the reason for this. Is there a giant black paint sale in Germany? Is the coming of winter putting everyone in a dark mood? Is it true that only 5% of us cayman fans want something other than black? I hope this sad state of affairs changes in the Spring.
Futurama:

The reason Cars.com only has black Caymans is that people keep the cars with the good colors...Right????:dance::dance::dance:

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Black is beautiful!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
You have to look carefully at the pictures if that's all you're going by. Sometimes they say "stock photo" which means it isn't a picture of the actual car.

I always look at the description to get the color.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I can feel your pain. I have a black Cayman with black standard leather interior. Exterior is drop dead gorgeous when clean but hard to keep really clean. Interior: here in Virginia, I had to get grey seat covers. Black seats burn in July.

But with that small fix, I am as happy as can be. Now two years and about 25K miles later, it is still a wonderful car to drive.

Get one, have fun and drive safely. Ed

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
If you want to see actual photos of actual cars, try eBay Motors. I bought my CS through eBay. I figured the dealer would want to keep his 100% positive feedback and that would give me more leverage than a "normal" transaction. I must have been right. I got a pristine car with 16,000 miles on it. Never seen a cleaner or less molested one. There must have been 75 photos of the thing from every conceivable angle. All options listed in a way that made you know that the dealer knew what Porsche options were and what they did. They picked us up at the airport in Savannah and took us to the car which was in a place of honor on the showroom of a large Honda dealership. Great guys to deal with and I got a great car...

...but my point is, the photos are better on eBay than the dealer lot photos you get on Cars.com.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Go to some of the Porsche websites for Florida dealerships. I've found most of the colored P-cars end up south of Melbourne. I found my '06 Carmona in Orlando.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts