Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Guards Red

Votes: 78 65.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picking a color for a 981 that would serve in the role of my retirement vehicle / our family second car / date night hoopty / track day vehicle. We would be living in a warm climate, close to the ocean.

Mrs. X73 and I both like Guards Red and Black. Mrs. X73 is leaning towards black, because she's not the one having to constantly massage the paint on our current black vehicle, and I'm leaning towards Guards Red largely because I am the one having to constantly massage the paint on our current black vehicle. In all candor, I would probably have time to keep up a black car after I retire, and the task would probably be more relaxing than getting shot at.

In addition, I'm in the process of losing my father. My father taught me how to drive when I was 13, in a brand-new Guards Red 911 Turbo Carrera (930) from the Porsche dealership he was managing. So Guards Red has some sentimental significance to me. I also view Guards Red as a rather iconic Porsche color.

She countered with pointing out to me that a black car will go with any color of inappropriate bikini that she wears while she's washing it for me, and Wicked Weasel has an awful lot of bikini colors to choose from.

This is far from an argument between us- we'd both be happy with either color. I just wanted to run it up the flag pole here, to get some feedback.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
She countered with pointing out to me that a black car will go with any color of bikini that she wears while she's washing it for me, and Wicked Weasel has an awful lot of bikini colors to choose from.
Wicked Weasel is my cousin. :D

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wicked Weasel is my cousin. :D
You're $#itting me!

They do FANTASTIC work, and depending on the current AUD/USD exchange rate, their prices are GREAT!

Her current bikini sponsor is a different company, but we are both HUGE Wicked Weasel fans.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One of the challenges that I am facing with Guards Red, is that after doing a European Delivery of her new BMW recently, and having taken her to the Museo Ferrari in Maranello Italy during the month that we spent in Europe, she views red as a "Ferrari color". She's okay with a Guards Red Porsche. She's even okay with a Guards Red Porsche with Luxor Beige interior. But if I show her the same car with Instrument Dials In Racing Yellow, she makes a face (not that I would actually order one with yellow gauges, or even the Luxor Beige interior).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Either color is good, especially if *you* and the better half both like 'em.

That said, yellow instruments in a black car is awesome (very bumble bee like, and in a good way) -- but garish in a red car.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Owned a Guards Red 08 CS, Carrera White Cayman R, and now have a Black 981 Cayman with Luxor interior. I liked the Guards and Black best. I lean towards Black for two reasons..........cleaned up, it is stunning and I had to keep looking over my shoulder when driving in my 'arrest me red' Guards color.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You're $#itting me!

They do FANTASTIC work, and depending on the current AUD/USD exchange rate, their prices are GREAT!

Her current bikini sponsor is a different company, but we are both HUGE Wicked Weasel fans.
:hilarious: No. Not really. Completely different mustela. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Having owned a black Audi TT and now a Guards Red Boxster, there is no way I will ever own another black car. Sure the black is beautiful for 20 minutes after a wash, but the red just keeps on looking good. Oh, and mostly I can't see the colors of a WW bikini.

Reactions: 2slow2speed

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
One of the challenges that I am facing with Guards Red, is that after doing a European Delivery of her new BMW recently, and having taken her to the Museo Ferrari in Maranello Italy during the month that we spent in Europe, she views red as a "Ferrari color". She's okay with a Guards Red Porsche. She's even okay with a Guards Red Porsche with Luxor Beige interior. But if I show her the same car with Instrument Dials In Racing Yellow, she makes a face (not that I would actually order one with yellow gauges, or even the Luxor Beige interior).
I do too, red is for ferrari but would still pick red over black.

Having owned a black Audi TT and now a Guards Red Boxster, there is no way I will ever own another black car. Sure the black is beautiful for 20 minutes after a wash, but the red just keeps on looking good. Oh, and mostly I can't see the colors of a WW bikini.
Same reason I voted for red, black looks great for a little bit, the imperfections are noticeable on black and isn't on other colors.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was a slave to my black 944. I swore: never again! My Guards Red Boxster S was awesome and so little work to keep nice, as is my current Racing Yellow Cayman S. And you can see the Yellow paint and dials are awesome and really brighten my day when I drive it. If I could find a GT4 slot, I would order Guards Red with the painted interior option and black leather. Wouldn't need the red dials to be happy with that, but they wouldn't hurt either. Beige interior doesn't look so good when older and doesn't wear well with me.
BTW, I see plenty of black cars, maybe even more than their share, getting tickets, so color isn't everything.
p.s. If you order the Guards Red/Black, please PM me when you are ready to sell!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guards all the way! (I may be a bit biased)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had a guards red Cayman and a black Cayman. The black is the hardest to keep clean but when it is clean it looks fantastic.

Do you have any picture of it clean?

Just kidding.

Reactions: rkpeck

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are looking to lease and get rid of it, get black. If you want to keep your car and enjoy it for years, get red. My black Wrangler drove me so crazy with the swirl marks and flaws that I traded it in in less than two years to get a different color. Especially on a Porsche, the imperfections will drive you crazy! Plus, I think black is just a fad color. Pretty soon, everyone will be back to hating black and buying silver just like they were 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are looking to lease and get rid of it, get black. If you want to keep your car and enjoy it for years, get red. My black Wrangler drove me so crazy with the swirl marks and flaws that I traded it in in less than two years to get a different color. Especially on a Porsche, the imperfections will drive you crazy! Plus, I think black is just a fad color. Pretty soon, everyone will be back to hating black and buying silver just like they were 10 years ago.
As I stated, this would be my retirement vehicle, so I would plan to keep it.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Get the Guards Red with black interior. then the WW bikinis look good inside the car ;). You speak of retirement and WW? Lucky man :hilarious:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Red, but I'm biased. BTW, my wife picked red for our CR, it's her favorite color.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You MUST go red! Black is an AWFUL paint to keep looking good!! I have had a black car and NEVER again!! The slightest blemish, scuff or even light scratch shows up MASSIVELY!! Swirl marks, finger marks etc etc etc......................RED!!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts