Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 981 with black satin painted rims (factory).

On the showroom floor at delivery, they looked stunning. Two years down the road and I just can't seem to get them back to that "shine".

I've tried cleaning, waxing with two brands of "wheel wax" but they just don't match mile zero.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
My next "idea" was to use "paint" cleaner, even clay bar and then "sealer" before any "wax".
Thoughts ???
Thanks in advance. D

·
Registered
7 Posts

On the showroom floor at delivery, they looked stunning. Two years down the road and I just can't seem to get them back to that "shine".

I've tried cleaning, waxing with two brands of "wheel wax" but they just don't match mile zero.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
My next "idea" was to use "paint" cleaner, even clay bar and then "sealer" before any "wax".
Thoughts ???
Thanks in advance. D
A good "wheels off" detail would work wonders. Deep clean, remove contaminates, and ceramic coating them should really do the trick

jaautospa.com

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good "wheels off" detail would work wonders. Deep clean, remove contaminates, and ceramic coating them should really do the trick

jaautospa.com
So, typical "paint" deep cleaning.... clay bar, then... I've not done any ceramic coating... or is this only done by a professional shop?? I need to "google" this...
thanks for comments.
D

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Try some Lime-Away to dissolve the water deposit scale and other crud the gets stuck on the surfaces. It's a bit stronger than vinegar. I've used it on my white rims to remove the stuff that builds up in the lug holes. It also works on black plastic trim and chrome surfaces around the house with no ill effects. Just rinse it off before it dries. Light contact will maintain your satin finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, typical "paint" deep cleaning.... clay bar, then... I've not done any ceramic coating... or is this only done by a professional shop?? I need to "google" this...
thanks for comments.
D
Depending on the kind of coating. I would have somebody apply it if you're not familiar with the application. Coating the rims isn't necessary. Use CarPro IronX to dissolve contaminates, rinse and dry thoroughly and then apply coating.

jaautospa.com

·
Registered
325 Posts

I'm confused, I thought the satin wheel paint has more of a matte finish (not glossy). So why are you trying to make a matte paint "shine"?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm confused, I thought the satin wheel paint has more of a matte finish (not glossy). So why are you trying to make a matte paint "shine"?
to your point...I just remember the rims not being dull at all, but definitely uniformly bright. Now the "inside" of the wheel is definitely matte finished --- no shine there at all.
I recently saw a GT4 with the satin platinum color and they looked very "bright". When I bought the car, there was an option for black "high gloss"--- but that is not what I'm trying to replicate..
then again, maybe I'm just looking for something to "do"... heehee..
so, thanks for your observation --

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just purchased a set of Black Chrome, a powdercoated finish on monoblock forged wheels and hope to keep that look going. I will order some C quartz, and coat my OEM wheels a couple of times before I put them back on the car. Then, after that I will coat my forged rims a couple of times. The forged wheels are for autocross with RE71R's mounted, so I do not want to put a lot of heat cycles into them running around town. Seems that CQuartz has a complete product line for taking care of the wheels so they stay fresh, so maybe a yearly event to coat these wheels.

Alloy wheel Rim Spoke Tire Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Alloy wheel
Rim Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: D&D
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.