Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Guards Red CS with Sand Beige Interior. My car has Black floormats to help break up the monotony of color. I currently have the standard wheel and hate it. I've been looking for an aftermarket wheel, but am afraid of getting a beige wheel site unseen as the color may not match my airbag/interior....

Which leads me to my question... How would a black wheel look with the sand beige leather w/ black floormats? Does anyone have this combo or know of any pics with this configuration? I've scoured the gallery and Google with no luck. I'm thinking maybe the addition of a black (leather stitched) dash gauge shroud may help tie a black wheel better into the interior...Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think it would look excellent. In fact one of the things that kepy me from getting a beige interior was that the wheel (and upper dash) is beige also, which just looks like "too much" to me. My only advice would be to get the black shift knob and boot to match.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish the upper dash was black as well...I've seen many pictures of beige interiors with black wheels, but they all had black upper dashes. That's why I was thinking maybe a black gauge shroud would be in order. The steering column is already black which seems like it would help it tie into the interior okay.

Hopefully, someone here has some pics or can point me to some.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Beige with black... only half a smiley... I think the black wheel will look out of place without a black upper dash.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I may give them a call...there only about an hour from where I live.

Does anyone want to take a stab at Photoshoping a black wheel with a Sand Beige interior? I would, If I had a clue how to do it.

Interested in hearing more opinions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I feel your pain. I wish they offered the black/sand beige combination interior like they do with the 911. I also like the sand beige interior but not so much on the dash and steering wheel. I'm thinking of going with deviated black dash and deviated black carpet. Would be nice to also have black door tops and steering wheel but that's not offered. Also, keep in mind that even with a black deviating upper dash there will still be an are by the windshield that remains beige and may look a bit out of place. Good luck.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I feel your pain. I wish they offered the black/sand beige combination interior like they do with the 911. I also like the sand beige interior but not so much on the dash and steering wheel. I'm thinking of going with deviated black dash and deviated black carpet. Would be nice to also have black door tops and steering wheel but that's not offered. Also, keep in mind that even with a black deviating upper dash there will still be an are by the windshield that remains beige and may look a bit out of place. Good luck.
I do like the sand beige in general but in part that's because I have the painted console which breaks up the beige in a big way. That may be another way to help break up the monotony.

At the very least, if your current wheel is the standard triangle-hub wheel, consider getting a black sport steering wheel (round hub) even if you can't pad the top of the dash in black. I do have the beige sport wheel which is nice but black would be nicer. That is on my shortlist of eventual "improvements". I was thinking of black mats like you have in the future but will probably go for a coco-mat - a little more subtle contrast since I already have the painted console.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a white 987 boxster S with sand biege interior. About a year ago, after much deliberation I purchased a black sport steerilng wheel, shift knob, and parking brake lever and switched themwith the biege ones. There is a lot of black trim inside the car to make these look very well. I did it for appearances, and to use black on the surfaces that I handle all the time with my hands. The black does not show dirt and wear like the biege does. I also kept the tan air bag in the center of the steering wheel, land it looks perfect to me. I will admit that color matching and mixing is a very subjective view or opinion. I am very happy that I made the swaps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love the painted console in your car, it really breaks up the beige overload. By the way, your color combo is my favorite.
Black mats will also break up the beige... I've got black mats in the beige interior of my BMW.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a white 987 boxster S with sand biege interior. About a year ago, after much deliberation I purchased a black sport steerilng wheel, shift knob, and parking brake lever and switched themwith the biege ones. There is a lot of black trim inside the car to make these look very well. I did it for appearances, and to use black on the surfaces that I handle all the time with my hands. The black does not show dirt and wear like the biege does. I also kept the tan air bag in the center of the steering wheel, land it looks perfect to me. I will admit that color matching and mixing is a very subjective view or opinion. I am very happy that I made the swaps.
Easy Rider:

Do you have any pictures you could share? I would love to see how it looks. Sounds like it turned out well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love the painted console in your car, it really breaks up the beige overload. By the way, your color combo is my favorite.
Black mats will also break up the beige... I've got black mats in the beige interior of my BMW.
I agree. Black matts look absolutely awesome in a beige interior. I also love the painted center console. I have debated doing this. However, with Guards Red, I'm worried it will be too in your face.

I'm hoping someone has some pictures for us so we can see how the black wheel looks with the beige. Sounds like Easy Rider has already done the swap so would be interested to see his car!

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
James,

Thanks for the pictures. That definitely helps. How hard would it be to change the floormats to black? Also curious how the gauge shroud would look in black.

By the way,...would love to know what software/technique you used to change the photo. PM me with details if you don't mind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use Photoshop Elements, and just isolate the piece or related pieces I want, cut and past it to a new level. This way you can then tweak with each piece individually.

Is this what you had in mind?..I think black carpet is actually a very dark gray compared to black-black.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! Yeah, that was what I was looking for, although my carpet is not black, just the floormats. I like the wheel more and more with the addition of the other black elements. I may need to pick up a new version of Photoshop elements. I have an old version (not installed), but don't know if it would work on my Vista machine.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which leads me to my question... How would a black wheel look with the sand beige leather w/ black floormats? Does anyone have this combo or know of any pics with this configuration? I've scoured the gallery and Google with no luck. I'm thinking maybe the addition of a black (leather stitched) dash gauge shroud may help tie a black wheel better into the interior...Thoughts?
Have a look at the official German Porsche car configurator, which has been updated for MY2011 (the USA site is still MY2010). Steering wheels now have a black centre and spokes, as opposed to the interior-coloured centre and "Volcano Gray" spokes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts