Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I'm in the process of finalizing my order for a '07 Cayman S and I have a question regarding the selection process for Black on the exterior. Whenever I see anyone spec a Cayman S or Porsche in general, the individual almost always specifies Basalt Black versus the standard Black. Why is this the case? Is it purely because of the metallic finish of the Basalt color? I would imagine that it's much easier to care for the Basalt Black because the metallic finish masks a lot of the surface imperfections such as swirl marks, scuff marks, etc. in comparison to the standard Black which would show every imperfection. On the other hand I believe that the standard Black will always have a more 'glossy' look because it lacks the metallic finish which reduces the 'wet look'.

Am I on track with my reasoning? Why Basalt Black vs. Black? I'm really interested in better understanding this situation.

Thanks,
Tracy

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think your reasoning is correct. Black is also blacker, because the metallic flakes (obviously) reflect light. Basalt is better at hiding imperfections, but not much. If you love black and can care for it, I'd say go with true black.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I looked specifically for a black car because it looks "blacker" than the Basalt Black
Hi All-

I'm in the process of finalizing my order for a '07 Cayman S and I have a question regarding the selection process for Black on the exterior. Whenever I see anyone spec a Cayman S or Porsche in general, the individual almost always specifies Basalt Black versus the standard Black. Why is this the case? Is it purely because of the metallic finish of the Basalt color? I would imagine that it's much easier to care for the Basalt Black because the metallic finish masks a lot of the surface imperfections such as swirl marks, scuff marks, etc. in comparison to the standard Black which would show every imperfection. On the other hand I believe that the standard Black will always have a more 'glossy' look because it lacks the metallic finish which reduces the 'wet look'.

Am I on track with my reasoning? Why Basalt Black vs. Black? I'm really interested in better understanding this situation.

Thanks,
Tracy

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I never really liked metallic blacks because to me they always looked dusty even when the car was clean.Few things look as nice as a freshly waxed non-metallic black car. Of coarse the down side is that the car is dirty a daylater.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yes you are right, Black is simply put BLACKER and I would say that it looks more glossy as well. The Basalt is beautiful, but has a hint of charcoal to it. I find the 2 colors quite different.

Russ

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I never really liked metallic blacks because to me they always looked dusty even when the car was clean.Few things look as nice as a freshly waxed non-metallic black car. Of coarse the down side is that the car is dirty a daylater.
Tend to agree......there are huge fans of Basalt out there......but I have never been one of them. Also the difference of care between the two is minimal.....they are both dark colors and will show dirt fairly quickly. Save the $$ and get regular black unless Basalt really 'speaks' to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just picked up my black w/black interior last week. Sorry that I am unable to post pics, it has not stopped raining since the day I picked up the car.

I love the sleek look of the true black vs. basalt black. It looks like a black bullet.

I agree with everyone who posted replies, either way, you will be washing the car more often than you would with a lighter-colored car.

I am planning on giving my Croc its first wash/wax this weekend. Will post pics afterwards.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Basalt Blk. does not have as deep of a Black tone as the true Blk paint, but I love the way my Cay looks after 2 coats of Carnuba!

!Viva Basalt Blk! :)

Either way, it's a Porsche, and I will adore it regardless of color.

~C.J.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I prefer basalt black. You may prefer black. That is OK. It is a beautiful car in eaither color.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I've had 3 black Porsches in the last 9 years, a 996, a 996 turbo, and now the Cayman - the black just has that unmistakable mirror quality to it that the metallic black just doesn't have - is it a pain in the butt to keep clean? Well, yes, but Porsches were also made to drive, not sit around looking like it's waiting for the next concours that you never enter. No matter what color you get, it's going to get dirty - even sitting in the garage with a cover on it.

A dirty black car, is still a beautiful black car... I'll re-tell a story I posted on the site probably six months ago (apologies to those - especially RussK - who have read this before) to illustrate my point:

On the last night of the 2004 Porsche Parade in Ft. Worth TX, I was driving my 996 turbo from downtown out to the Texas Motorspeedway (TMS) for the final night's awards banquet. My black car was filthy and bug splattered from the previous two days of driving in the autocross competition and the driver's education event at the TMS. I pulled out and passed a Porsche Cayenne filled with well dressed people. When I got to TMS, I parked, and as I was walking up to where the banquet was being held, the Cayenne was there, unloading its occupants, one of whom I recognized as Peter Porsche, the current family patriarch. I went up and introduced myself and thanked him for producing such a great car as the Porsche turbo, which I enjoy driving so much. He asked if that was me that passed them on the freeway, and when I answered yes, thinking he was going to say something about how dirty the car was, he said back to me, 'good, we like to see them very, very dirty... it means you drive the car... we like them to be driven.' I said thank you and went into the banquet knowing the man who's name is on the cars wants them to be driven like they were meant to be....

brad

Edited by - beez on 06/08/2006 09:08:27 AM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi TT. I have a Basalt Black and I spent a lot of time looking into the 2 colors before finally making my decision. Here is what I came up with:

BB pros - paint is more durable, hides scratches/swirls, sparkles, less maintenance, more depth/rich/complex, more unique (less of them on the streets), retains brightness better over time (less prone to UV)

Flat Black pros - brilliant shine when clean, easier to touch-up or repaint if there is damage.

My friend has a Flat Black Cayman. When they are both right out of the carwash, his looks shinier and 'wetter'. However, this only lasts for a few days. I like the fact that my BB appears to stay cleaner longer. He probably has to wash his car 2-3x more than I do.

------------
Here is a PM from 'The Stig' on another forum (rennteam) that I found helpful:

Believe it or not I spent endless nights on this forum and many others debating the same thing when ordering my car so I am probably the right person to talk to on this

I am the kind of person who is very fussy about getting scratches, swirls or any marks in my paint and want my car to look spotless at all times. I love my car too much to see it in any condition that’s less than perfect. If you are like me I will definitely recommend Basalt Black.

I also loved the dark, rich look of solid/flat black much more than basalt and I probably still do but I can tell you the maintenance on flat black is going to be a real nightmare. I guarantee that your paintwork is going to depreciate a lot faster with flat black if you don't spend a lot of time detailing your car. I also have a flat black Merc CLS which is only a few months old and comes equipped with the ceramic clear coat which is supposed to be more difficult to scratch than the conventional clear coat most car manufacturers like Porsche use.

Problem is, in the 4 months that I have had the flat black merc the amount of swirls and scratches I have is phenomenal despite my best attempts to avoid them while washing. I will never order flat black again, the only reason I did in the first place was because I thought this new type clear coat would be stronger than the normal clear coat.

The basalt has also grown on me tremendously over the years, I used to think it had this dusty dull look but now I appreciate the depth in the colour and would never think twice about ordering it again. It looks really great and has the best of both worlds in my opinion, on overcast days it is impossible to distinguish between the metallic and non-metallic and on sunny days the sparkle the metallic gives off is amazing.

On my Porsche, nearly 17 months later and my paintwork still looks flawless, the metallic does an amazing job in hiding the fine scratches that you are certain to pick up no matter how careful you are.

When I wash my car I use two buckets (One for washing and the other for rinsing the cloth), I use only 100% cotton terry cloths and have a leaf blower to dry the car. This crazy method has ensured my paintwork to be in top condition. Here in South Africa, the detailing industry and the wonderful products you get elsewhere does not exist so I have to look after the appearance of my car on my own.

It seems the majority of people on this forum, especially in the US, prefer solid black but because of my fussiness regarding fine scratches or swirls in the paint it is definitely a no go for me and I would advise you to go with basalt if you are as meticulous as me.

I have some excellent photos of basalt with an SLR camera that might help you decide, send me your email address and I will gladly mail them to you.

Hope this helps, good luck and let me know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I've had 3 black Porsches in the last 9 years, a 996, a 996 turbo, and now the Cayman - the black just has that unmistakable mirror quality to it that the metallic black just doesn't have - is it a pain in the butt to keep clean? Well, yes, but Porsches were also made to drive, not sit around looking like it's waiting for the next concours that you never enter. No matter what color you get, it's going to get dirty - even sitting in the garage with a cover on it.

A dirty black car, is still a beautiful black car... I'll re-tell a story I posted on the site probably six months ago (apologies to those - especially RussK - who have read this before) to illustrate my point:

On the last night of the 2004 Porsche Parade in Ft. Worth TX, I was driving my 996 turbo from downtown out to the Texas Motorspeedway (TMS) for the final night's awards banquet. My black car was filthy and bug splattered from the previous two days of driving in the autocross competition and the driver's education event at the TMS. I pulled out and passed a Porsche Cayenne filled with well dressed people. When I got to TMS, I parked, and as I was walking up to where the banquet was being held, the Cayenne was there, unloading its occupants, one of whom I recognized as Peter Porsche, the current family patriarch. I went up and introduced myself and thanked him for producing such a great car as the Porsche turbo, which I enjoy driving so much. He asked if that was me that passed them on the freeway, and when I answered yes, thinking he was going to say something about how dirty the car was, he said back to me, 'good, we like to see them very, very dirty... it means you drive the car... we like them to be driven.' I said thank you and went into the banquet knowing the man who's name is on the cars wants them to be driven like they were meant to be....

brad
Edited by - beez on 06/08/2006 09:08:27 AM

Amen Brad - I agree with your every word/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Brad,

I love that story and it is worth repeating now and then to remind us (especially me)
that it is OK if the car gets some dirt on it.

I think you know that all my previous cars were jet black and I am sure my next one will the same. I just needed a break to see what it would be like to have a different color. I almost went with Basalt, but thought I needed a total change.

Aloha Russ

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Thanks, Russ - although your break with personal tradition is a beautiful one...

if I would have ordered another color besides black (because we all know BPAF - black Porsches are faster) it would have been the Cobalt - it's the one other color offered that is just stunning, imo.

brad

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Brad,

I love that story and it is worth repeating now and then to remind us (especially me)
that it is OK if the car gets some dirt on it.

I think you know that all my previous cars were jet black and I am sure my next one will the same. I just needed a break to see what it would be like to have a different color. I almost went with Basalt, but thought I needed a total change.

Aloha Russ

Cobalt is my No. 2 followed by the Speed Yellow close behind./fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbs_up.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts