Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know its blasphemy to compare such a common indistinguished roughneck vs. our refined european thoroughbreds, but the 2011 specs look VERY impressive and Ford has continued to refine the handling of their cars, to the point that a stock GT is a decent handling track car according to some experience drivers.

2011 Mustang GT Specs: 412hp 32valve 5.0L V8, 0-60mph 4.4 seconds

All of that for $30k+- slap a supercharger on it for $8k and you're up to 500-600hp.

(btw, Ford is selling and installing a supercharger that you can retain a 12month/12k mile warranty)

I know people have compared the Shelby GT500 before, but this is a car (w/ the aftermarket supercharger) thats cheaper, lighter and more powerful than a Shelby.... and Cayman S....and Carrera S (0-60 = 4.5s)

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Defined decently handling track car. The 1956 Jaguar XK-140 I drove with a 50+ year old suspension was a decently handling track car. :)

The Mustang needs suspension work to be able to corner like a Cayman and its steering feel is still nowhere near the same. Will it have more brute power? Sure. Is it an improved Mustang over earlier models? Yes, Ford continues to advance the platform which is good to see. They also seem to be incorporating things they've learned in the racing series that has been put together, but make no mistake those cars driven in that series are heavily modified vs. a street version of the Mustang. I think it is laudible that Ford is offering a factory supercharger option with warranty and I'm sure the car would be a lot of fun, just a different kind of fun from the Cayman. It's all about what you want...

Also cool that they brought back the 5.0 even if it technically isn't quite a 5.0... :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was happy to see Ford make those improvements to the Mustang. For what the typical driver in the US wants, it's a good move for the company.

Now they need to put that power in their trucks. I think my '08 F-150 with a 5.4L is underpowered with 300hp. It's a very nice truck, but I'd like more power.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Love my Cayman, but the 2011 5.0 Mustang is an incredible machine. With the upgraded brakes and Track Pack, it was tested recently (Motor Trend "video on demand") against an M3 and was better in the 1/4 mile, but about 0.09 seconds slower around a track. 0.09 seconds slower than an M3??? To me, c-rizzle's comments are not blasphemy, but are indeed a recognition that Ford has made great strides to build and market a great track and street car. Give Ford it's due, and for those of us in stock Caymans ... move over!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe you're comparing the wrong variant of the new mustang. You should be comparing the Boss 302 and not the GT. The Laguna Seca edition of the 2012 Boss 302 will be a track monster.

The BMW M3 fanboys out there even have pretty decent things to say about the 302 (especially given how well it did in the latest comparo vs. the M3 so they should be insecure, but they're not).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have driven a Cayman (non-S) and the new Mustang back-to-back at least twice in the past week. I can tell you right now, these cars could not be more different. Yet I find myself narrowing down my choices and these two are at the top of my list.

Certainly the Mustang has absolutely nothing on the Cayman in terms of style, handling, and steering response. The Mustang rides very high, has an airy cockpit, and has an absurdly tall hood that just makes this car *seem* bigger than it really is.

Even with the vaunted Brembo brake package, the GT just doesn't communicate a lot back through the steering wheel.

But all that said, the Mustang is just a very competent car around corners and the engine is fantastic. It is loaded to the gills with technology and creature comforts that the Cayman doesn't offer. And highway cruising in this car is a real treat.

As a former 335i owner, I had a really hard time justifying following my plan of upgrading to the M3 this summer as I don't think the M3 has an engine worth it's price. And with the 2011 Mustang GT out there, it really makes the M3 an even less attractive car. Unless style and prestige are TRULY that important to you, you'd have to be braindead to not seriously consider the Mustang over the M3.

If the Cayman just had a little more room on the inside, had a better stereo, and had slightly less rattles I would be buying one without any hesitation. But because of those issues, i have been forced to consider options (the Ford) before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've heard and read alot of really good things about the Boss. It may not corner like a true sports car but it may not have to if it gaps you on the straights. That's what's so frustrating about running with vettes. Even on shorter more techinical layouts it's hard to overcome the brute horsepower.

What's the sticker price on the Boss?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The real question is would you rather date a woman with rippling biceps or a woman with curves in all the right places?

American cars-yes they have the big, brutish engines and all the horsepower- but their looks make me want to puke.

Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, and Corvettes. Every time I see one in traffic, all I can think to myself is that the driver has no sense of taste whatsoever.

But I guess they can go really fast. :rolleyes:

I never see anyone walking around a Mustang in a parking lot to get a better look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I believe you're comparing the wrong variant of the new mustang. You should be comparing the Boss 302 and not the GT. The Laguna Seca edition of the 2012 Boss 302 will be a track monster.

The BMW M3 fanboys out there even have pretty decent things to say about the 302 (especially given how well it did in the latest comparo vs. the M3 so they should be insecure, but they're not).
Not sure who the "wrong variant" comment is directed to. The video segment I saw was entitled "Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe." Not a real Mustang guy, so can only go by what the Motor Trend folks said.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The real question is would you rather date a woman with rippling biceps or a woman with curves in all the right places?

American cars-yes they have the big, brutish engines and all the horsepower- but their looks make me want to puke.

Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, and Corvettes. Every time I see one in traffic, all I can think to myself is that the driver has no sense of taste whatsoever.

But I guess they can go really fast. :rolleyes:

I never see anyone walking around a Mustang in a parking lot to get a better look.
Ain't dating it - I'm driving it! So only us Porsche drivers have a "sense of taste?" My brother, who is a real Mustang guy, has better taste than most that I know. He loves his Mustang and on the track, would take my Cayman easily for a lot less money. Again, I know that Mustangs and Caymans are "apples and oranges," but I believe the automotive community (us included) have got to give Ford "its due." They've made a dang fine automobile and one that will run with our Caymans and M3s for a fair amount less money. As Paingouin said, the 2011 model is the first Mustang I'd consider owning.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
The new Mustangs are fantastic cars, but they aren't a Porsche. When you option one out with the wheels, brembos, stereo and other goodies, they are over $40k, so it's not quite the bargain it used to be.But the car certainly is getting a lot of attention and is leaps and bounds better than the Camaro and Challenger in terms of quality build and drivability. The main reason I don't have one is that they are everywhere! I want a car thats a little different. I am rarely stopped next to another P-car at a traffic light here.....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was happy to see Ford make those improvements to the Mustang. For what the typical driver in the US wants, it's a good move for the company.

Now they need to put that power in their trucks. I think my '08 F-150 with a 5.4L is underpowered with 300hp. It's a very nice truck, but I'd like more power.
The 2011 trucks will have the same basic engine line up as the Mustangs. 300HP V6, 350HP 5.0L V8 (tuned for torque), a turbo charged ECO boost V6, and the monster (gas guzzler) 6.2L V8. All of the horsepower ratings are up and the torque ratings are similar or up slight, for much better fuel economy. They're ditching the craptastic 4.6L 2v, 4.6L 3v, and the 5.4L V8's.

I agree with your generalizations. Especially about the Camaro, its a typical American muscle car. Lots of brawn, not so much finess. Its fishtails like crazy, has huge blind spots, etc.

However, the Mustang is really coming in to its own. Is it a Porsche, NO. But its actually getting closer with the refinements they've been making.

Now to the thing that Ford has over everyone. Their electronics. My 2009 F-150 Lariat's "Sync" system rocks. I love the stock USB capabilities, bluetooth, speech recognition stuff, reading of my text messages to me, etc. Things that noone else is touching right now.

My Porsche's Bose system with upgraded stereo & amp sounds better than my Ford's, BUT the functionality of the Ford blows away a $1000 kenwood headunit with garmin nav.

When I'm driving my Porsche, I miss my Ford's radio. (being able to talk to my stereo & tell it what to do) Then again when I'm driving my Ford, I miss my Porsche's speed and handling! ;)

Call John Smith cell. Play artist Metallica, etc, etc.

That alone has me considering getting a Mustang... maybe Boss 302 down the road.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
It's no blasphemy, I've owned five different models of Mustangs and currently still own and hold some local records. I've build from scratch different engines for track and 1/4 miles, I've kept a 331 Turbo Stroker with 625 whp & 707 lbs. of torque... street legal and a sleeper 10 sec. car. ...but just to go straight...

I have driven the 2011 Mustang GT and its awesome, Kudos to Ford, but no matter how refined it gets, it will never, ever come close to the handling of my Boxster!

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's always amazed me that Fords that I've driven in Europe, which seem to be decent enough, are not even available here! Are Ford finally waking up to the fact that there may actually be demand for cars that can take a corner? Shock, horror :eek: !

Having said all that, I'm still struggling to see how a Ford Mustang would seriously be in the same shopping list as a Cayman S. OK, just my $0.02 worth.

Graeme

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The Mustang does post some impressive performance numbers but if you drive one, you'll find the feel is nothing like a Cayman. The Mustang is not a car that you would describe as light and nimble.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts