Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Wanna be the first and let us know how it works?

Actually, I noticed in some videos of the Cayman Interseries cars, that they have a flashing center brake light. You might contact Napleton Porsche and find out what kind of device they are using for those cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know this may be a PIA, but before installing blinking tail lights or 3rd brake lights you need to check with your states vehicle codes on this. My motorcycle came with such a feature that makes the rear turn signals blink about 3-4 times when brakes are applied and was DOT approved at the time of manufacture and, I have had no problems with law enforcement. But, I have been told that some states do not allow such modifications. Just a heads up. Rather be safe, do some research before buying an item you can't use legally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanna be the first and let us know how it works?

Actually, I noticed in some videos of the Cayman Interseries cars, that they have a flashing center brake light. You might contact Napleton Porsche and find out what kind of device they are using for those cars.
Thanks.

WILCO on the article..

Do I really have to take off the whole hatch trim? just to get at the rear center light? Seems all the literature says that is the case.

Thanks again for the being the "keeper of the forum" :)

I know this may be a PIA, but before installing blinking tail lights or 3rd brake lights you need to check with your states vehicle codes on this. My motorcycle came with such a feature that makes the rear turn signals blink about 3-4 times when brakes are applied and was DOT approved at the time of manufacture and, I have had no problems with law enforcement. But, I have been told that some states do not allow such modifications. Just a heads up. Rather be safe, do some research before buying an item you can't use legally.
I did check out the regs. with the Federal agency - NHTSA. Not a problem. FL, well who knows :crazy:

I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Won't be a Federal Reg. Most states prohibit a flashing red light on a vehicle. Cops probably won't bother you, but if you live in a state with vehicle inspections they may not pass you.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Actually, I noticed in some videos of the Cayman Interseries cars, that they have a flashing center brake light.
It could also be simply the frame rate at which the video was shot showing the LED light(s) flashing when in fact they are not....not to the eye anyway.

Playback of a recent video of a Porsche Club trip in the UAE made it look like the tail lights of a Panamera were flashing all the time. The video just seems to capture the switching rate of the LED's.

On the other hand maye they did make the high level light flash for the interseries cars.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've seen some new porsches that looked like thier brake lights were blinking, was I imaginging things? I've been wondering for a few months now what was going on with that or if I was just seeing things. In one case, I know the guy never had a chance to mod his car and I meant to ask him about it but never got to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just went thru this process... Also have the "Back-Off" brake light module on my HD Sportster and wanted to install on my 2007 Cayman. Dealer advised against it. The module will give you a warning message when brakes applied and also void your warranty (electrical).

·
Registered
352 Posts
They do not. Blinking lamps on the rear of any vehicle are illegal in most states. There is no way BMW can sell a car that does that.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
They do not. Blinking lamps on the rear of any vehicle are illegal in most states. There is no way BMW can sell a car that does that.
I looked up the brake light function in the owner's manual and you are correct. When ABS is activated in the BMW a second set of lights come at rear of the car and they do not blink.

Blinking lamps on the rear of any vehicle are illegal in most states
Howerver, every car sold in the states has blinking lights on the rear. Turn signals ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put this on my Chrysler Prowler. Worked great and kept others off my rear. Thought about it on the Cayman but have not done it. Every car should have it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just went thru this process... Also have the "Back-Off" brake light module on my HD Sportster and wanted to install on my 2007 Cayman. Dealer advised against it. The module will give you a warning message when brakes applied and also void your warranty (electrical).
Bringing back this older thread.

They are talking about the brake light out warning message that could pop up because the flashing module does not have the proper current draw.

The module would have to have a load that is always shown to the computer to avoid the warning light. You might be able to connect a small, 12v "grain of wheat" bulb across the brake light wires to fool the system while the module flashes the brake light. I don't know how sophisticated the system is - if any load will satisfy it or is has to be withing xx% of normal to avoid triggering the alert. You could also use a resistor of the proper size (and wattage) to get an exact load.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act should prevent the dealer from voiding your warranty just from hooking up a brake module. Heck, just about every car on the road has some kind of 3rd party device hooked up and wired into it. Now, if you put in a module that causes the error then you are on your own - and the remedy is just to remove the module so the errors will go away. Once you have done so, you are fine (but do not have a brake light flasher).

There are companies that make modules that are supposed to work the bulb out sensing systems and even CANbus sensing cars and motorcycles. The product linked here does not say if it is compatible or not.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I would think that if you put the brakes on and then the light went out (the blink) that could influence drivers behind you to ease up on their brakes because they might think you have let off yours, and thereby make it more likely that they would hit you. Seems like a completely useless mod and a waste of money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts