Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I joined the forum to get some feedback on a project I am considering, this seems like the right place to ask.

I have the opportunity (or nightmare) of bringing back to life a 2006 Cayman S. The car has a spun rod bearing, I plan to bring it back to life as a street car with 4-6 track days and 5-10 auto x days a year.

Looking at a few options I'd like to see if I have my facts right:

1. Swap in a stock used 987.1 motor. These seem to be going for 9k+ for well sorted examples on ebay, I am again taking on the risk of running into a similar issue as these motors don't seem to hold up very well. This is also the cheapest option.

2. Swap in a stock 987.2 motor, on paper this should be lower mileage, however more expensive, and it doesn't seem like a straight forward swap. At least not from the info I was able to find.

3. Swap in a LS motor, this is the most intrusive and most expensive, but all things considered between the motor and the renegade hybrids kit I'd be just over the cost a 987.1 motor and the rest of the cost (a few grand) will probably be spent on all the misc things that add up. This gives me the most power and potentially reliability with relatively cheap maintenance cost into the future.

I plan to keep the car so resale is of low importance, of high importance is reliability over the long term.
Whichever option you decide on the "downside" is the expense....however, with a rebuilt or "fresh" motor, you essentially have a "new" vehicle with 0 miles on the odometer.........and since resale is of less importance than reliability, your "long term" prospects would be excellent.............just sayin' :giggle:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I blew my 06 Cayman S motor (missed shift over rev not any of the many problems mentioned here) and faced much of what you are but I never considered that many options as you are putting forth.
I called Flat6 and thought about their quality product but didn't like the 20-25k price tag.
Could have replaced it with a dealer installed same factory engine but that was too much for too little.
I good take out engine from a race shop for about 8k would have been a great option and I think given the usage you intend I would recommend it to you just add some preventive items like Motorsport AOS, deeper baffled oil pan, 3rd radiator, better oil (I use Joe Gibbs) and IMS solid bearing with external oiling.
I wanted more and went for the 3.8 x51 400 hp factory engine at 15k plus 1700 installation.
I wouldn't waste time and money rebuilding it or going for another M96/M97 engine again (or even rebuild with better parts, etc.) after all the consistent engine horror stories I have read for past years, time to move on. Good Luck to the OP. This engine is not a hit and miss but obviously a design and material flaw.
Who did you use for the engine and installation?
I like this " 3.8 x51 400 hp factory engine at 15k plus 1700 installation."

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
DeMan Motorsport
700 Bradley Hill Rd. Blauvelt, NY 10913
Office: 845-727-3070

This was many years ago so prices are probably up since 2011

·
Registered
7 Posts
Who did you use for the engine and installation?
I like this " 3.8 x51 400 hp factory engine at 15k plus 1700 installation."
DeMan Motorsport
700 Bradley Hill Rd. Blauvelt, NY 10913
Office: 845-727-3070

This was many years ago so prices are probably up since 2011
What gen 3.8 did you use? My Cayman will be a track only car. Looking for durability.
Now you're talking!
Have you given any more thought to developing an Audi V8 kit?

·
Vendor
455 Posts
Send your car up and we'll make it happen :) In all seriousness give me a call at the shop this afternoon and we can put a plan together.

Have you given any more thought to developing an Audi V8 kit?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
My engine replacement was in 2011. A 3.8L 997 x51

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi Josh,

Bringing this up from the dead as I've decided which way I am going to go.

I will move forward by buying a salvage 987.2 car as a donor car and move from there.

Can someone guide me to a definitive parts list needed to convert to DFI. I've been able to cobble together some from different builds:

9A1 Engine/harness/fuel pump/ignition/ECU/possiby dash wiring harness or it may be easier to swap in the dash from the DFI car?

I may also need an EFI to DFI Jumper harness which BGB motorsports seems to have made for $1,500 or the alternative is to swap in the full wiring harness from the 987.2?

Is my line of thinking off base or am I on the right track?

I will do a full documented build of this when i find the right donor car, speaking of which are there auctions outside of copart/iaai to look at as I search for a donor?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Use the 987.2 base car as your donor as it has the Bosch ECU system, rather than Siemens. You will not need to change anything major. Have Scott at Softronics recalibrate the ECU by flash. Its a port injection system, rather than a DFI. Most of the connections can be brought over from the donor car including the intake and exhaust systems. I would use the transaxle from the donor car as well. Refresh all the rubber suspension parts that you can.

My .02 cents worth of info.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts