Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Cayman S with 56,000 miles on it. Never raced. Never abused. While driving to Fresno over Hwy 152 on 12/20/14 (on the way to my aunt's memorial service--so I wasn't exactly hot-rodding it) I experienced a sudden loss of power followed by gawdawful noises coming from the engine compartment. I was stuck near Dinosaur Point in the middle of nowhere, so I had to call a tow truck from Gilroy and have the car towed to Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose. But first I called the Porsche roadside assistance number only to discover that my CPO warranty had expired last June. Naturally!

Anyway, the folks at Stevens Creek Porsche agreed with me that a Porsche motor should not give up the ghost with only 56K miles on it. So they submitted a claim to PCNA to see if they will give me a new motor. This one was obviously defective in some way so that seems reasonable. PCNA came back and asked SCP to tear down the motor to find the root cause of the failure. I was told that the cause was a connecting rod bearing failure on Cylinder #2 that punched a hole in the crankcase. They also sent me the attached photos. You can see the hole and a few pieces, but honestly I don't know enough about these motors to know what I am looking at. PCNA still has not responded to SCP's request for coverage despite the fact that it has been a month, but I am hoping that will be resolved soon. The holidays were probably a factor.

Anyway, has anyone else with the M97.21 motor experienced this failure?

Regards,

David Emberson
[email protected]
Santa Cruz, CA
image1.jpg image2.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
In December my dad purchased an 06 Cayman S from forum member bulldozer27 that turned out to have a #1 rod bearing failure at 72k miles. His failure occured while driving up Palomar Mountain in San Diego. I hypothesize that it was due to spirited driving while going uphill leading to oil starvation.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There are posts littered the internet (incl. here) on 987.1 catastrophic engine failures. They failed under different conditions, some during DE, some on a Sunday drive. Considering the large number of cars (and engines) are on the road, the failures are probably less common than the internet makes them out to be. Nonetheless, it's never a pleasant experience for anyone. Esp when you factor in many of these cars are out of factory warranty, Porsche engines are pricey (new or used) and value of car ($20k's with bad engine) v. engine w/ replacement cost ($13 - 20k) often makes the decision of sell vs. fix difficult for these unfortunate owners.
Hopefully, PCNA will goodwill and help out with some of the cost. And you pay for part of the repair/replace. OR, PCNA may replace at no-charge to you. If either of these happen, go buy lotto ticket since you have a good chance of winning the jackpot. More than likely though, you'll have to make a choice of sell (with bad motor) or spend money to replace motor. Good luck! And sorry to hear of the bad news.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I certainly hope they don't hang me out to dry. But I suppose I shall find out soon. Let's hope they still take pride in their products and stand by those of us who love them. I've got a 1994 Chevy Suburban with 206,000 miles on it that runs like a tank. I don't recall Chevrolet winning Le Mans!

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble David and here's hoping PCNA does the right thing by you. Please keep us updated via this thread.

I do not agree with the below statement simply because Boxster/Cayman sales for these years average well under 10,000 units the best I can tell. Of course, we all have to guess what the real failure rate is since the one entity that can tell us also stands to lose the most by disclosing the numbers.

Also, a major engine redesign (to the 9A1) after such a short period seems to support the flaws many have experienced.

Eddie

...Considering the large number of cars (and engines) are on the road, the failures are probably less common than the internet makes them out to be...

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Well, I certainly hope they don't hang me out to dry. But I suppose I shall find out soon. Let's hope they still take pride in their products and stand by those of us who love them. I've got a 1994 Chevy Suburban with 206,000 miles on it that runs like a tank. I don't recall Chevrolet winning Le Mans!

Regards,

Dave

Well actually------
CORVETTE RACING FAST FACTS – 1999-2013
- Le Mans class wins: 7
- ALMS manufacturer titles: 10
- ALMS driving titles: 9
- ALMS team titles: 10
- Worldwide races: 152
- Worldwide wins: 90
- Team 1-2 finishes: 54

Sixteen Seasons of Corvette Racing: 1999–2014Good luck with that engine. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. FWIW there ARE a few stories of VETTES with blown engines too. Ask Car and Driver.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
" I don't recall Chevrolet winning Le Mans!" There in lies the rub. The M96 and 97 engines were not even close to anything remotely associated to a racing engine. However the brand name insinuated it did. To Porsche's credit ,they eventually relented and developed , what in my opinion , is a gem of an engine. Namely the 9A1 engine. And by the way, Corvette, (GM), has won multiple times , in class, at Le Mans.

Cheers !

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I have a 2008 Cayman S with 56,000 miles on it. Never raced. Never abused. While driving to Fresno over Hwy 152 on 12/20/14 (on the way to my aunt's memorial service--so I wasn't exactly hot-rodding it) I experienced a sudden loss of power followed by gawdawful noises coming from the engine compartment. I was stuck near Dinosaur Point in the middle of nowhere, so I had to call a tow truck from Gilroy and have the car towed to Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose. But first I called the Porsche roadside assistance number only to discover that my CPO warranty had expired last June. Naturally!

Anyway, the folks at Stevens Creek Porsche agreed with me that a Porsche motor should not give up the ghost with only 56K miles on it. So they submitted a claim to PCNA to see if they will give me a new motor. This one was obviously defective in some way so that seems reasonable. PCNA came back and asked SCP to tear down the motor to find the root cause of the failure. I was told that the cause was a connecting rod bearing failure on Cylinder #2 that punched a hole in the crankcase. They also sent me the attached photos. You can see the hole and a few pieces, but honestly I don't know enough about these motors to know what I am looking at. PCNA still has not responded to SCP's request for coverage despite the fact that it has been a month, but I am hoping that will be resolved soon. The holidays were probably a factor.

Anyway, has anyone else with the M97.21 motor experienced this failure?

Regards,

David Emberson
[email protected]
Santa Cruz, CA
View attachment 55347 View attachment 55348

Sorry to hear of your plight but it isn't uncommon for the 2006-2008 Cayman motors to randomly grenade for a variety of documented reasons. Sadly despite many complaints to the NHTSA, nothing has ever come of it and it is up to Porsche to either help you out or not. Just be prepared that usually they don't once something is outside of warranty, even CPO warranty. Let us know how it comes out.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts

Regards,

Dave
It's not about pride at Porsche, it's about the all mighty dollar. You have a slim chance PCNA will cover it all. It mainly depends on the relationship with your dealer. Do you use them for all servicing? Did you buy the car there? Do they think it likely you will purchase another Porsche from them? This is what works in your favor, not pride or doing what's best for the customer.
Good Luck!
Mine blew a couple years ago, I had over 100K so it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's not about pride at Porsche, it's about the all mighty dollar. You have a slim chance PCNA will cover it all. It mainly depends on the relationship with your dealer. Do you use them for all servicing? Did you buy the car there? Do they think it likely you will purchase another Porsche from them? This is what works in your favor, not pride or doing what's best for the customer.
Good Luck!
Mine blew a couple years ago, I had over 100K so it wasn't that bad.
I've read of two different threads about blown engines and out of warranty on 6speedonline for the 997. And in both cases, an engine was covered by PCNA. One had labor and engine covered so it didn't cost him a thing, the other case had to pay for labor, which the owner thought was better than nothing. Best of luck OP, hopefully Porsche stand by their products. Stories like these make me want to get rid of my 997.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are correct about the Corvette class wins. I was looking at the overall winners.

I did buy my car from this dealer and I do have my car serviced there. As for buying another car, that is very dependent on how much of my equity in this car is lost. If Porsche replaces the defective engine, I will probably trade this car in on a newer car with the 9A1 motor. What I would really like to do is put in the x51 motor--which seems to have fixes for both the IMS and oil starvation problems. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I've read of two different threads about blown engines and out of warranty on 6speedonline for the 997. And in both cases, an engine was covered by PCNA. One had labor and engine covered so it didn't cost him a thing, the other case had to pay for labor, which the owner thought was better than nothing. Best of luck OP, hopefully Porsche stand by their products. Stories like these make me want to get rid of my 997.
, so
I believe the 997 came with the 9A1 engine, check it out. If that is the case, your chances of having an engine failure are the same as the current production Porsche engines, which is practically, nil, not zero but extremely low.

Cheers

·
Registered
574 Posts
, so
I believe the 997 came with the 9A1 engine, check it out. If that is the case, your chances of having an engine failure are the same as the current production Porsche engines, which is practically, nil, not zero but extremely low.

Cheers
Actually the 2005-08 997's did in fact have the M97 engine.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Actually the 2005-08 997's did in fact have the M97 engine.
Yes I did some research and found out the 9A1 engine was introduced in the so called "997.2" model. The M97 engine is what led me to trade in my car for, a 987.2 first and then subsequently 981 model. By the way, the M 97 engine in my original CS, had a catastrophic engine malfunction at Sebring Raceway. This was shortly after I traded in !

Cheers

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes I did some research and found out the 9A1 engine was introduced in the so called "997.2" model. The M97 engine is what led me to trade in my car for, a 987.2 first and then subsequently 981 model. By the way, the M 97 engine in my original CS, had a catastrophic engine malfunction at Sebring Raceway. This was shortly after I traded in !

Cheers
Any word on what the mode of failure was?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Yes, Porsche used this video to show how much more resistant to failure their new 9A1 engines were, to failure under extreme positional variations. What was unsaid was, "as opposed to their M97 engines"

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the verdict is in. PCNA has agreed to provide free parts and a 2-year warranty. I will have to pay the labor. This is basically a short block as M97 crate motors are no longer available. If there was damage to the heads then they will provide parts for that also, but the labor bill will increase. The current labor estimate is $7000. It's not what I expected from Porsche, but it is better than nothing. It would cost me that much to fight with them and I might never see my car again. One wonders what Ferry Porsche would have done if one of his motors blew up with 56K miles on it.

Anyway, the lesson for me is that unless you have infinite money and patience you should carefully research the model of Porsche you are considering before you buy it. Porsche clearly does not test these cars in the way they would have you believe. The street cars no longer have anything in common with the race cars so those of you on this board who race your cars are basically their QA department. My view of this company has definitely been tarnished. I knew the cars and repairs were overpriced, but I figured that was the price of excellence. Now I have found that the excellence is questionable.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
574 Posts
Consider yourself fortunate they're covering parts! And yes, you are correct, the company building cars and SUVs today is not the same Porsche company that built many fine sports cars in the 70s and 80s.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts