Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally get any blue smoke at startup. Recently, I've noticed that if I add oil with the car in the garage and start it the next morning or after letting it sit for awhile I get a serious cloud of blue smoke that clears up in a few moments. Any thoughts on how the oil is getting to the cylinders?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are you overfilled? See if your car is really level in the garage...most garages slope downward a bit for drainage, your oil level reading may be in error because of the slope.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I deliberately overfilled mine by about 0.5 litre once as I was going on track and thought the extra oil may help reduce surge. It smoked like hell on start up which it had never done previously, and has not done since after I drained the excess off.

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe it is overfilled. It is on the low end of the sensor. I wish there was a backup dipstick.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't believe it is overfilled. It is on the low end of the sensor. I wish there was a backup dipstick.
If you are happy that you are measuring it on level ground, then it may be a faulty AOS.

·
Zone 1 Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out that this was an early symptom of scored cylinders at around 175k. it eventually got bad enough to clog the cats and throw a cel. Engine was just rebuilt and up and running again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Turns out that this was an early symptom of scored cylinders at around 175k. it eventually got bad enough to clog the cats and throw a cel. Engine was just rebuilt and up and running again.
Anything special included in the rebuild? bigger cylinders, special pistons and rods? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts