Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told the new PCM 3 now has bluetooth and the dealer has enabled it.

But here is the catch. You can register a phone into the car and it comes up in the connected devices list but you cant do anything with it. It does nothing, no calling, nada. I dont have any phone option btw. All the hardware is obviously there and looks like the function is locked out. Does this sound normal?

BTW, how dumb is this. I have GPS and Sport Chrono plus, but to record your lap time you still have to flick the lever manually. I figure nobody at Porsche has ever seen a Driftbox or similar. :crazy: Have you ever tried actually using that lever in a track situation?...forget it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What phone are you trying to connect?

PCM has issues with the iphone.

It seems to work perfectly with my blackberry though.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing special. Nokia. Dealer could not get it to work either.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Without PCM the blue tooth is near useless.

DrKareem,

Porsche of the Village told me they were able to pair the iphone with PCM 3.0 so there is hope. The guy that did it couldn't remember everything he did to make it work.

On my non PCM 3.0 CDR30 I can get the BT to recognise my Droid but it will not upload the phone book. I have to use the Droid's phonebook to select the number and then hit send. After that I can use the hands free in the car. It equates to a $600 BT ear phone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a Palm Pre connected on my '09 CS. Works ok but when a call comes in, I can't accept the call on the screen. I have to manually flick my phone open, which is kind of lame. This is probably the only complaint I have about the car. I love everything else about her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I was configuring my Cayman S I originally inlcuded the BT option. At that time I was not clear if it could work w/o the PCM. I went back and forth with the option. Finally I decided that I would not select the BT, mainly because I could no tfind enough informaiton about how efficient it was going to be. I am sure that someone will come up with a "fix" soon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What do you mean the dealer "enabled" it? It's an option that either comes with it or not... unless the dealer added it on as an additional installed option after you took delivery.

It can be hit or miss, but I had a Blackberry Bold 9000 and a Bold 9700 and they both work flawlessly. No worries and can access phone book and everything else with steering wheel controls too.

Try using another phone and see what happens. Still not sure what you mean by dealer "enabling" the feature...

Oh, and recording/restarting your lap time using the stalk.... forget it. I only got it cause it comes with the Sport Chrono... no other choice. A cool mod could be to replace it with an anolog clock that lights up at night... wiring/power is already there, any modders/sellers have something like this?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Very weird. My Blackberry hooks up perfectly, and gets the whole phonebook on there too, and I have complete control over my phone through PCM.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
With the new MY10 it's standard with PCM 3.0. Initially I didn't opt for BT/Phone, but my dealer simply activated it via PWIS. HOWEVER my Nokia phone doesn't like it one bit! :(

·
Registered
607 Posts
Are you sure? For us here in the USA with MY2010, we still have to order it on top of the PCM 3.0 with "Extended Navigation"... double check on this by trying a few different phones.

I love Great Ocean Road, Koalas and Kangaroos.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the new MY10 it's standard with PCM 3.0. Initially I didn't opt for BT/Phone, but my dealer simply activated it via PWIS. HOWEVER my Nokia phone doesn't like it one bit! :(
Correct, same situation here. I got it for "free". But it can not work. Then they proceeded to tell me, it cant because I did not order the phone option or something. :confused:

Going for a long road trip in the country now to run the engine in more. Have to keep alert and watch out for big jumping Kangaroos. They may be attracted to my new sparkly Porsche!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have a 2010 CS without PCM, and with Bluetooth. It works fine. I can accept calls with the dash button. It does not link with my iPhone phone book, at least to my knowledge, but when someone calls, I can see the number calling and accept the call with the dash button. To make a call I have to use the phone, but it is automatically linked so i just push the button on the phone to make the call, and it goes thru the speakers. I think I can manually put in contacts but havnt bothered yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2010 CS without PCM, and with Bluetooth. It works fine. I can accept calls with the dash button. It does not link with my iPhone phone book, at least to my knowledge, but when someone calls, I can see the number calling and accept the call with the dash button. To make a call I have to use the phone, but it is automatically linked so i just push the button on the phone to make the call, and it goes thru the speakers. I think I can manually put in contacts but havnt bothered yet.
I've experienced the same thing with my 2010 Boxster S. You can not link to the iPhone phone book with it. The iPhone doesn't implement the protocol needed to do it. I've been thinking of writing an app that does it, not sure if it's possible though. Has anyone seen an iphone app that does it already?

If you know how to manually input contacts, could you please post instructions? I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

BTW, BT sucks in it with the top down. Not sure I'd spend the money on the option again. When it's 70 with blue skies, I'm not putting the top up so that I can talk on the phone. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use iphone with 2009 PCM 3.0...worked OK...once they updated the software to 1.4v it works much better...should be a hassle....my only bluetooth issues....can't delete some other phones that likely dealer let users install as device to show off the PCM/phone/bluetooth setup....and more strangly once the PCM bluetooth wouldn't sync with my phone in my pocket but rather with another iphone from "Lockjaw"...this occurred in traffic....fixed it by manually syncing my phone up and things worked fine

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
and more strangly once the PCM bluetooth wouldn't sync with my phone in my pocket but rather with another iphone from "Lockjaw"...this occurred in traffic....fixed it by manually syncing my phone up and things worked fine
This is easy to fix, when you set it up, don't set the code to 0000 on the dash like every other bluetooth hookup. Set it to whatever you want and then when you sync your phone put in that code. Had this happen once myself because when I first set it up it was on 0000. Changed that and it never happened again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My issues were mostly all resolved by upgrading to v1.4 software for the PCM...but I still couldn't delete some phones on the bluetooth list and from time to time my PCM would sync up to other iphones while I was in traffic...even though my iphone was in my pocket. The final key was the dealer using their computer to delete all information in the "phone" module on the PCM. Now everything seems to work just fine...just the way I had hoped for with the 2009 Cayman..with PCM and BT and audio connections (fortunately I have older ipod that connects and recharges just fine). Lets see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 09 that originally came with CDR30, no bluetooth. I purchased a PCM 3 without nav on ebay and installed it today. Sure enough, bluetooth had been activated and I managed to pair my phone (Blackberry) and download my address book. I can make calls, I can hear the other parties voice, but they can't hear me. I suspect that I am missing a microphone. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update: so here is the deal...the PCM 3 has bluetooth functionality which is quite happy to pair with most phones except that if you do not have the "Bluetooth interface for mobile phone" option you will need to purchase the "PCM 3.0 Bluetooth Kit" to add a microphone interface.

·
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: so here is the deal...the PCM 3 has bluetooth functionality which is quite happy to pair with most phones except that if you do not have the "Bluetooth interface for mobile phone" option you will need to purchase the "PCM 3.0 Bluetooth Kit" to add a microphone interface.
Interesting, any idea on price or part numbers or what it actually is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts