Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a bmw driver for over 18 years (owned every 3 series version since 1987). in 2005 I drove a 1999 boxter with 125K miles on the Odometer and was surprised how much fun it was, from then I started visiting the porsche forums. My first impression what that the porsche forum members were definitely more educated and knowledgable than other forums I have visited when I had a nissan 350z and toyota mr2.

So I decided to drive the new 981 boxter 6mt this past weekend and a 991 6mt.

as much as I love my bmw 335 coupe 6mt which is for sale I was hooked on the boxter as it was more fun than the 991 and much more fun than my car.

So I am now looking for a boxter S as i need more power.

BUDGET
50-60k

I have noticed that there are a lot of 6mt boxters sitting on lots and was wondering how discounted these cars can be?

Eg. a dealership has several boxter s models for 72K msrp--what is the typical discount they would give? should I propose a price for 62K?

I am surprised how many dealerships have 2014 models with less than 50 miles on the odometer, which tells me that they are arrogant or they can sell them due to ackward options.

New Porsche Boxster at Auto Palace Porsche | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

many dealerships have 2013 boxter s models for/around 60K should I offer 52K? or is that a insult.

So I do know the pricing very well for bmw's regarding used and new but want to get a better perspective of what is realistic for the boxter s.

So would I get a better deal on a new 2014 or 2015 or used 2013?

I do understand that certain cars have awkward options and that is why they are not selling but wanted to know what is a realistic offer for either new or used as a percentage or "X" dollars off the asking price.

thanks for looking..looking forward to being a real member of this forum

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I am surprised how many dealerships have 2014 models with less than 50 miles on the odometer, which tells me that they are arrogant or they can sell them due to ackward options ... New Porsche Boxster at Auto Palace Porsche | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania I do understand that certain cars have awkward options and that is why they are not selling
crgkart has a good question. What are the awkward options?

When a dealer specs a car for inventory, they will spec it in a manner in which they think the car will sell in their location. The two S cars you pointed to are both "luxury" type builds, lots of fluff, little performance options. One has SC, and a full leather special leather interior, hence the additional 10K price.

I suggest you understand what each of the options do, and sort out exactly what you want. A good place to start is with the faq Planet-9 FAQ

good luck

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Hi and welcome. I have to stand for my350z forum. I was on it from the start, for years, it was very helpful and knowledgeable!

Now to Porsches... Very generally speaking, in US you should expect 6%+ on 981 custom build. 8% on model off the lot. More, if it's close to the new model year. AFAIK 10% off previous year off the lot is not unheard of.

Depends on what you really looking for - it still might be cheaper to build your car with minimum options and take 6% than buying those ones full of luxury options with 10%

·
Registered
955 Posts
what do you mean by awkward options?
I had that same problem when I was looking for a donor car for my 3.8 conversion. Before I decided to order a car, I looked at *every* new and used online in-stock listing for base Boxsters in the continental US. Some of the trim choices, especially colors, were bizarre. It seems like people were going for “wondrous variety” instead of good taste. And on many cars, basic options you’d expect (like HID headlights) would be missing, even though the car would have superfluous options like multicolored leathers or weird-colored dials...

The biggest problem is that Porsche options are expensive. For $500, I wouldn’t really care if a car had a nav system I didn’t need. For $5000, I did care, a lot.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I was just looking at used 2013/2014 Boxster S prices and noticed they have gone up, probably due Spring, just for your reference, mine has an MSRP of over $97,000, I got for $65K last winter. There's a nice Riveria Blue Boxster S for sale a month ago for $57K.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for asking, as per my comment about awkward options, i feel that some will agree that to make the car more "sporty" it would have PASM, Sport Chrono, 20 inch wheels, sport steering wheel. or to make the car more "luxury" it would have full leather, custom color, heated seats, vent seats. I meant that awkward options would be a car that some of the luxury and some of the sport options.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As a point of reference last month I ordered a custom 2015 Cayman S MSRP 70,000 and got 8% off after some light effort... however it depends on the dealer and if they are more of a volume dealer or not. I would expect 10% off 2015 car on the lot and more for prior years models. Used would vary greatly depending on condition and time on the lot. I think a sweet spot would be a new 2014 still on a dealers lot if you can find one that fits your color/options requirements. That was my first effort but was unable to find something that fit what I was looking for so went with ordering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the honest info, looking forward to joining the group. Waiting for my local porsche dealership to find me a 2014 boxter s for less than 60K. I figure I will give them a few weeks and then go find one myself. Seems like I have more negotiating room now as the preowned porsche site is now including 2015's as pre owned which was not the case this past weekend by which 2014 was the last year available..

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
If you scroll the vehicle type down further you will see you can set it to Boxster(981).

This way the search includes 2013 thru 2015

·
Registered
80 Posts
Once the new 2016 models are out you should be able to get a new 2015 that is sitting on a dealer's lot for 20% off. It worked for me in 2002, hope it is still the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts