Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting my 08 cayman up for sale soon and recently had the pleasure of being backed into. I'm wondering whats the right thing to do for the new buyer. The damage consists of a nickel sized hole in the bumper and a 4 inch indentation. No other damage whatsoever. The bumper will be replaced and painted...no biggie. My question is in regard to the paint process. They will be fading into the hood for a perfect match. Is is better to just paint the bumper or is the fade the ideal way to go. Obviously the bumper wont have any chips or wear from the road so I'm thinking of having them sand and repaint half of the hood as well so the front end is completely free of nicks and chips. To replace the bumper, repaint and fade into the rest of the front end is $3k'ish. The extra work on the hood will only cost 5-6 hundred more. Any thoughts on if this is the right way to go for a potential buyer? The shop is one of the best in long island.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
well, your gonna sell the car.. if they see bumper repainted.. well thats ok ..it happens.. but if they seen the hood repainted they think the car got into a big accident..

lemon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm planning to display both before and after pics. I thought it might be a value add to do the hood as well. My question is related to the paint process and what a buyer may want. This will be my third pcar sale. The prior two were sold sight unseen via wire transfer based on my word. This car will have full disclosure.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Tell the buyer -- it's his/her call how to proceed.
My 0.000002,
-PM.

Reactions: racergreg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Painting the hood as well will look better, but you may not recover the cost when you sell the car. Even if you do before/after pics to prove it was a cosmetic fix rather than than an accident repair, some buyers will think "Great, fresh paint on the front end" while others will think "Whoa, fresh paint on the front end." Do what you think is right, then tell prospective buyers what you did and why. If someone has a problem with your car and your approach to selling it, advise them to look elsewhere for the elusive 7-year old Porsche that shows no evidence of ever having been exposed to the elements.

Reactions: mdlw04

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Unless the body shop recommends blending into the hood or your hood is full of chips, I'd pass. It will add to the bill and a potential buyer may focus on the cost, not the repair. Which sounds better - $900 or $1400? (I'm just making #s up.) Porsches are expensive to repair so someone not familiar with them may not understand it doesn't take much to run up a big bill. Painting extra panels opens you up to more scrutiny. Keep costs to a minimum, take a before pic, and have a copy of the repair bill to document the repair.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I wouldn't blend into the hood either, unless the hood had lots of stone chips. Bumpers by their very nature and because they are a different material than hoods and fenders always look a little different to me regardless. Shine a very bright detailing light on both and the difference is obvious in most cars. On my 2008, both bumpers from the factory actually had a more metallic Meteor Gray paint than the rest of the car. The front bumper has since been repainted to match the car. As I read, in addition to two Meteor Gray paints, ever so slightly different, the bumpers are painted separate from the car at a different location and then mounted during assembly. Different paint locations, sometimes different paint and always different material equals a slightly different look.:cheers:

·
Registered
376 Posts
companies add a flex additive to plastic bumpers so the forumulation is always slightly different. I wouldn't touch the hood.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S PDK
39 Posts
I had my front bumper/hood/right fender painted. $1400 including the center console.
Is the car already sold? If not then i think i would pay to have the hood painted. If it already has a new owner i'd get them to pay the $500 or leave it alone. Sure is nice having a front end not blistered with spots. Especially in black.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
for the potential owner, it would be nice to get a car that I dont need to touch up before enjoying and gives me an indication of an owner who cares, rather than suspicion especially if you have before and after pics.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I bought my 08CS the dealer offered to repaint my bumper due to some rock chips and I honestly couldn't tell a difference. I was really nervous because I can usually spot the difference very quickly. Later on my uncle back into me with 67' Chip Foose Camaro and damaged my front bumper pretty good. The repaint look great again but I still have some issues with the repair coupled with somebody else now backing into me and leaving some minor damage. So once again I will be back at the shop getting it re-sprayed. My car is midnight blue and maybe that helps. I don't believe they ever faded it into the hood at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts