Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I have to post this as I've only had the car 10 days (first p car) and I've never hit a deer in my life until this evening - on the highway no less.

I assume I need to find a Porsche authorized auto body shop to do the repair. Should I call the closest Porsche dealer (not where I bought the car) for any recommendations? When I google the closest one to me, it's 40 miles away.

Of course I'll be calling my insurance company too. I don't even have my state license plate or registration yet or my state inspection (bought out of state).

I feel sick.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That link seems to take me to Summit Consulting Inc.

However, going to the main site at Porsche | Approved Collision Center Program works.

You can if you like and trust your dealer for recommendations. I used the site above and picked the shop that seemed best from feedback from others and reviews online.
The closest dealer (30 mins), which isn't where I bought the car, has an auto body shop but they are not on the Porsche authorized list of body shops. The closest body shop that is Porsche authorized is 1 hour away. I guess I will start there. Luckily I would consider the damage minor, with a few dents, busted headlight, and some other minor stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well that sure sucks. Be happy it wasn't worse, even though everyone says that and we're still not happy. Hopefully the fix goes well and it will just be a bad memory in the very near future.:(

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
However, going to the main site at Porsche | Approved Collision Center Program works.
You know, it's the same site, but I had already punched my zip code, and that was probably the closest one. It's not listed now, and again, nothing local (no dealers here, so not a surprise). But thank you for posting the main site. Should have checked it first;). Good luck OP.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I suggest using only a Porsche Certified repair facility. While they tend to be more expensive, a vehicle NOT repaired by a Porsche certified shop might be more difficult to sell. There are numerous accounts on this site and others of an apparently minor accident costing MUCH more than initially anticipated to repair correctly. A body shop that isn't familiar with Porsches may not know what's involved to do it properly, and come back with pricing that seems attractive. Where I live, legislation gives me the right to have my car repaired where I want, not where the insurance company wants it done.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Insurance companies are aholes. The biggest problem would be if the car is not driveable. We might get away forcing them to pay a Porsche approved facility, but absolutely no way they'd pay for the transportation. In addition, I don't know if insurance companies can deny a shop out of the state you live in and had the accident on (does anybody know?). My closest approved shop in TX is 550 miles away (SA), rather than 300 in ALB. Hope never have to deal with that;).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. My insurance company has been really good over the (25) years and has a local branch I usually deal with. Of course I had just talked to them 2 weeks ago letting them know I got the Cayman.

The (Porsche authorized) auto body shop is saving me (and someone else) 2 hours of driving as they offered to have the car towed to their shop after seeing the picture of the head light - they knew it would be considered non-driveable. Anyway, insurance company said no problem - have it towed where ever you like as part of the claim.

Even though the damage appears minor, there are quite a few pieces that will need fixing so I might not have it for a while. I'm thinking 30 days but don't really know. If only I could get a rental Cayman - it sure would make me feel better. I wonder if my dealer would give me a loaner Cayman for $1000 for the month since that's what my insurance company for covers($30/day). I know they have one they can't sell.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Man that really sucks, and so soon! On the other hand, you are about to get a fast track education on just how crazy expensive an accident that on any other vehicle would be considered minor will be on a P car. I had someone hit me in a 8mph parking garage accident many years ago, and it still somehow managed to be 10K to repair once they tore into it. The good news was the car looked better when I got it back than before the accident. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back in the saddle! Exactly 4 weeks from the original adjustment. Total repair costs were much higher than original estimates but insurance company was awesome.

You guys nailed it with using an authorized Porsche body shop. The car looks amazing. I have to give a shout out to Cavallo auto body shop as they did a fantastic job with the entire process and even cover my state inspection and swapped wheels for me. Highly recommend them if you're in the Philadelphia area.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Total repair costs were much higher than original estimates
I don't quite "see" the extensive damage that would account for over $13k in body shop work.
I see: fender damage, slight hood damage, front bumper damage (maybe...I can't see it), and headlight replacement.
13 grand sounds excessive IMHO.
Can you post the body shop invoice ? I'd love to see the details of their fine work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't quite "see" the extensive damage that would account for over $13k in body shop work.
I see: fender damage, slight hood damage, front bumper damage (maybe...I can't see it), and headlight replacement.
13 grand sounds excessive IMHO.
Can you post the body shop invoice ? I'd love to see the details of their fine work.
There were a few more dings then what can be seen on the pictures. The bumper and grill were busted up and the other headlight had some damage and the panel below the door.

Looks like about 9k in parts with the bigger items being the bumper, both headlamps, hood and fender.

Add in labor, paint, towing, and clear bra replace cost gets you up there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.