Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through a late night google rabbit hole on bore scoring I'm suddenly really worried about this. I was just wondering what the prevalence of bore scoring actually is because all the posts in the problems and complaints section that I've been seeing recently has me scared. Am I just worried about this more than I should be from going down the rabbit hole or is it really a prevalent problem? Also seeing as rebuilding an engine is almost the same as the price of the car how much do you think a cayman with the bores coring would go for? Is it basically a total loss trying to sell a car with bores coring?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto (for the most part) as I’ve been researching as well. Seen Jake Raby’s “BS” video?

It does sound like it’s a low probability, but very expensive if it happens... interested to hear other opinions.

·
Stupid College Kid
63 Posts
I had to sell my Cayman S because of bore scoring. Made a ticking sound very similar to a lifter but when I sethoscoped it it was coming from the cylinder. Boroscoped it and found the scoring.

I was doing the cost analysis on this and getting a used motor could run you 6-9k on Ebay from what I found. I also looked at rebuilding the motor with sleeves and making it bulletproof and it started at 12k.... not worth it for me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to sell my Cayman S because of bore scoring. Made a ticking sound very similar to a lifter but when I sethoscoped it it was coming from the cylinder. Boroscoped it and found the scoring.

I was doing the cost analysis on this and getting a used motor could run you 6-9k on Ebay from what I found. I also looked at rebuilding the motor with sleeves and making it bulletproof and it started at 12k.... not worth it for me

Wow. That is expensive. I've often wondered what Flat6Design charges.

What are you driving now?

·
Stupid College Kid
63 Posts
I was quoted by Don at EBS Racing for the service. Super nice guy, pretty much spec'd it out so that this problem wouldn't happen as I wouldn't want to put another stock engine in just to have the problem again. I also contacted vision motorsports too and they're base price was I think 15k although this would be the option I would go with for a bulletproof motor.

Decided the buy an e46 m3, although this car isnt without it's own issues like the subframe and rod bearings but at least it doesn't have bore scoring lol. IMO get a 987.2 or an e92 m3.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Nicholas-Did you change your oil regularly, at least once a year and 3500 miles as a half measure rather than every 6 months as Jake recommends. Just checking as that's the new standard to keep bore scoring from happening and having to deal with Jake. Also, what about startup, did you leave your car idling in your drive for 10 minutes each morning?

·
Stupid College Kid
63 Posts
I changed my oil regularly every 3-5k miles with motul 300v or DT-40. I also submitted a blackstone analysis everytime and it never showed any metal deposits which I thought was weird given that my boroscope images showed pretty bad scoring. I never idled the car that long maybe a min so the idle would drop down from the high idle state. It's better to actually drive the car versus just let it idle to get up to temp. Need to build some oil pressure and also get everything up to temp. Didnt beat on it until the oil was up to temp.

If you want a good technical article on this, give this a read,
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.hartech.org/images/downloads/Hartech%20Engine%20Guide%20(interim).pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiQz-yt-87nAhU2GzQIHYS0AqYQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0ywmAt_QaqwNkGqzJHppth

Couple the bore scoring issue with the oil starvation, aos, power steering, etc. Its not the ideal track car base. I loved mine to death and spent alot trying to bandaid all of these issues but I still got screwed, albeit I'm one data point out of the thousands that have owned these cars.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's an ugly story, not much hope for the rest of us. Makes owning one of these cars a flip of the coin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

how much did you end up selling your cayman for and how long ago was this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
12k, happened about 8 months ago
Just out of curiousity, was this an S or the base 2.7? From what I've read and seen from Flat-6 and elsewhere, it seems the 2.7 is far less likely to have these issues but I still wonder how accurate that is.

Edit - re-read your first comment and saw you clearly mentioned it was an S. My bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
12k, happened about 8 months ago

If I can still get out of it at 12k and limit the damage if it were too happen I wouldn't be too upset. Were you tracking your car? I just use mine as a daily driver and for fun drives so hopefully by keeping it off the track I can avoid the scoring but who knows.

·
Stupid College Kid
63 Posts
I drove it pretty spirited and occasional track days. I think you could probably go a couple of years without issues if just driven regularly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm, I also watched Jake Raby's videos. However, I'm old and the memory is not as good as it was.... so is tracking a car something he identified as a contributing factor?

Btw, I just did an oil change and had it analyzed. Thankfully it came back with no issues noted. It may give me a false sense of security, but I'll take it! Like the IMS thing, we will really never know what percentage of cars have this problem. Jake sees this all the time due to his business. I appreciate the videos as it has a lot of useful information. It is just hard with lack of data to put this all into context.

Now I guess I'll go read the technical article Nicholas posted.

Mark
987.1 with M96 engine

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you live in a very cold place, try not to start it if it is very cold out. Never let a cold car idle, drive it normal ASAP. The cold start extra fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls, and the low RPMs and no load makes it worse. You can add Lucas fuel treatment to the gas, it as some lube that will help at startup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you live in a very cold place, try not to start it if it is very cold out. Never let a cold car idle, drive it normal ASAP. The cold start extra fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls, and the low RPMs and no load makes it worse. You can add Lucas fuel treatment to the gas, it as some lube that will help at startup.
Extra fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls? I never heard that one. You realize that tons of these cars are started and driven every day in cold climates without any issues, don't you? I agree that these cars shouldn't be left idling for long periods of time but that's a separate issue from cold starts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Extra fuel washes oil off the cylinder walls? I never heard that one. You realize that tons of these cars are started and driven every day in cold climates without any issues, don't you? I agree that these cars shouldn't be left idling for long periods of time but that's a separate issue from cold starts.
This is Raby’s theory. Watch the videos if you haven’t, for more info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts