Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm hoping you're joking about replacing your Borla with a DynoMax muffler. If so, Please Don't!
Try my current set up before replacing the muffler. It really does sound better...it's a true exotic exhaust sound and the in cabin resonance is at least 50% reduced. I believe that due to the thicker wall (11 gauge) and narrow exhaust pipes at the tail end really made a big difference in containing and reducing the resonance level. As for performance, it is rev happy and the mid range pull is a grind inducer! As for the higher rpm performance and sound,.. it'll tap the redline without a hint of hesitation and I hope you like high pitch exhaust howl because that's what you'll get.
I love the sound of the exhaust so much that I often catch myself mimicking the sound of my car :drivingskid:
It feels satisfying to own a car that I actually adore every aspect of it. Performance, sound and looks.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm hoping you're joking about replacing your Borla with a DynoMax muffler. If so, Please Don't!
It's all on the table. If you look at the picture of the current tip I'm using, above, you'll see I've eliminated the true-dual nature of my borla and fundamentally changed its sound ... A long time ago.

Apparently this dynomax VT is Something New - they claim full stainless construction and no drone. Note the valve.

Screenshot_2015-05-11-17-33-29.jpg

Per the sizes, the 2.25" muffler looks like a near drop-in for the borla cans, once the mounting paddles are transferred.

And for $90 each it's an interesting idea.

I'm also looking to insulate the airbox, and so will be looking at the cubby boxes on either side as candidates for heavy sound insulation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm not sure if this is an option, but... I have ceramic coated NHP catless headers feeding into my unmodified Borla exhaust and only have a drone between 1800 and 2300 rpm's. The drone is only an issue when pulling away from a dead stop (very briefly) or when having to drive very slowly in first gear. Above that it sounds GREAT! At highway speeds in fifth or sixth gear it is very pleasant; can even listen to the Bose radio at reasonable volumes. This despite (or maybe because of) having every other mod that would make the car louder - desnorkled, EVOM intake, GT3 throttle body and plenum, Softronic flash and HIP clear engine cover. My wife and I recently made a 350 mile one-day trip in the car and had no issues with noise fatigue. Also, when follow behind the car in a convertable it sounds wonderful; like my unmuffled 2.0L 911 racecar - just quieter.

Todd

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good thing I found this thread. I was on the verge of getting a pair of CC inserts last night. Reading plainsman and boqu's feedback about drone coming back with a greater vengence after a while with the CC inserts has prompted a 180.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Good thing I found this thread. I was on the verge of getting a pair of CC inserts last night. Reading plainsman and boqu's feedback about drone coming back with a greater vengence after a while with the CC inserts has prompted a 180.
The issue with the borla and other true dual exhaust is (and I'm going to get the physics wrong...) ... each side's sound pulse reinforces the other, making the note twice as deep in frequency.

My best result has been to combine each side with a Y-pipe with a center output (it's damned near a T but combines more smoothly). - with an auger in that center section, trimmed for greater flow at higher revs. I'm still using it.

Still using this piece, it should be documented here someplace.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Plainsman. I've a 2010 CS and have some internal mod for sound done in my stock muffler (entire exhaust hardware is stock). This has resulted in cabin drone for 2000 to 2600 rpm. I'm looking to see if I can reduce this. From your's and boqu's accounts (unless I read wrong), the CC inserts have actually increased the cabin drone? I've also read the inserts can result in power loss (ford mustang forums) which if of course undesirable.

If I've read your comments wrongly about cabin drone increase, please do correct me. I'm ok with external sound being louder but want to reduce internal cabin drone and without compromising torque and hp. If indeed it helps, I'm planning to have them inserted into the tailpipes and won't want to take apart the exhaust to place them further in.

Stay safe.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think that mod of the stock exhaust may have removed some of the well-engineered porsche voodoo-black-magic that handles drone internal to the exhaust. I really don't think there's any sort of easy fix for this.

unless you have to keep a stock-appearing exhaust, you could build a replacement tip which combines the exhaust streams more gracefully; the stocker just aims one bank's exhaust pulses at the other; the exhaust gasses' easiest path is therefore at the other bank and not out the tip!

mmmv,
-PM.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think that mod of the stock exhaust may have removed some of the well-engineered porsche voodoo-black-magic that handles drone internal to the exhaust. I really don't think there's any sort of easy fix for this.

unless you have to keep a stock-appearing exhaust, you could build a replacement tip which combines the exhaust streams more gracefully; the stocker just aims one bank's exhaust pulses at the other; the exhaust gasses' easiest path is therefore at the other bank and not out the tip!

mmmv,
-PM.
A very experienced view.

Yeah.. I wanted louder ... outside... which I got but that also came with some cabin drone lol.

And yes, I do need to keep a stock appearing exhaust hence my keeping all hardware stock. Even If I wanted to charge hardware, carnewal may be the most convenient option. That said, I'm still tinkering with the idea of 200 cell cats from Fab or Soul despite needing to change out for inspections. A hard core modding forummer elsewhere did share that going to 200 cell cats was what gave him the drone in his step by step mod process. This of course makes me even more hesitant on any 200 cell cat as it may exaggerate my current drone issue.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You could look for a used Porsche sport exhaust ?.. it's valved. I don't remember if the control is manual or automatic but it is OEM.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've decided not to try the CC inserts. Its strange, the drone comes and goes. today no drone. Also, I've learnt an effective way to manage drone when it comes... Sport Mode...

And Sport plus... believe it or not, I've never tried it....

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I've decided not to try the CC inserts. Its strange, the drone comes and goes. today no drone. Also, I've learnt an effective way to manage drone when it comes... Sport Mode...

And Sport plus... believe it or not, I've never tried it....
One factor with drone - the richer the car runs, the more drone, all other exhaust -related things being equal. So don't consider your drone level until the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One factor with drone - the richer the car runs, the more drone, all other exhaust -related things being equal. So don't consider your drone level until the car is warmed up.
That's interesting. My car, 987.1S W/Remus cat back, drones less when cold that when fully warmed-up.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts