Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend at COTA breaking in the new exhaust. The primary reason that I wanted an exhaust is because the 981 sounds so tame on the front straight at COTA, where there are people standing and sitting trackside enjoying the sounds of the children playing with their toys.

After listening to all the videos posted (more than once) I decided to throw in with Borla, since they have a history of making Porsche exhausts going back into the 80's.

So I offer this brief video from the track, knowing that not everyone will track their car, but now you can hear both sides of the spectrum. I love the sound, both track and street.

I received some really nice comments about the sound from people at the track, but the comment that I enjoyed the most was from the SA when I picked up the car before heading off Friday:
He brought the car around, got out of it and said, “I did not expect this car to sound like that”.
Me: “Don’t they all sound like that”?
Him: “THEY SHOULD!” He was very emphatic.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I would love to personally experience that exhaust in a Boxster. It sounds awesome in my Cayman, but I know the drop-top makes it oh so better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the very worst case, if you pay full retail for parts and labor, I can't imagine it being over $2,100.
Of course, you're in CT, so double that to cover state taxes. ;-)

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Sounds great although I wonder how the PSE would sound on the track... I guess I have to record next time at the ridge.

By the way: Who did you drive with, that they let you drive top down?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edgeaddicts.com was the group weekend. Driversedge.net also lets you go top down.

Here's a more traditional exhaust file:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the sentiment, but until you drive the PDK on the track, I don't think you get a sense of how good it is. It's not perfect yet, there are a couple of corners where I paddle down a gear, but if you get a chance, try swapping cars at the track sometime, you might be surprised.

Reactions: RADONCulous
804 Posts
Hello Everyone,

First off, amazing video with the manual transmission!

For those looking for a great sounding exhaust similar to the Borla sound, we offer the Maxflo system! More aggressive, throatier, and deeper than factory. For something very aggressive for the track the Supercup is the way to go! Combine either with Sport Headers to increase the sound/tone with a huge performance gain!

For those wanting to keep the PSE system, our Sport Headers are a great way to add to that PSE sound and gain an substantial amount of power.

Porsche 981 (2013+) exhaust, Intake and ECU upgrades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7NRGTsS_w

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... For those looking for a great sounding exhaust similar to the Borla sound, we offer the Maxflo system! .....
This is unusual, I can't say that I've seen another manufacturer pumping his product on a thread devoted to a competitive product.

Reactions: Dev and syzdanski

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is unusual, I can't say that I've seen another manufacturer pumping his product on a thread devoted to a competitive product.
Fabspeed seems to be taking every opportunity to post and PM to promote their products. This is something you don't see any of their competitors doing.

·
Vendor
78 Posts
Spent the weekend at COTA breaking in the new exhaust. The primary reason that I wanted an exhaust is because the 981 sounds so tame on the front straight at COTA, where there are people standing and sitting trackside enjoying the sounds of the children playing with their toys.

After listening to all the videos posted (more than once) I decided to throw in with Borla, since they have a history of making Porsche exhausts going back into the 80's.

So I offer this brief video from the track, knowing that not everyone will track their car, but now you can hear both sides of the spectrum. I love the sound, both track and street.

I received some really nice comments about the sound from people at the track, but the comment that I enjoyed the most was from the SA when I picked up the car before heading off Friday:
He brought the car around, got out of it and said, “I did not expect this car to sound like that”.
Me: “Don’t they all sound like that”?
Him: “THEY SHOULD!” He was very emphatic.
Just wanted to say thanks for this. Glad you like your exhaust and you shot a great video! Really cool how you managed to capture the exhaust note so well without too much wind noise, especially with the top down. How'd you do it?

If you guys have any questions you can send me an email at [email protected] or call the direct line to my office at 805.246.6067.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to say thanks for this. Glad you like your exhaust and you shot a great video! Really cool how you managed to capture the exhaust note so well without too much wind noise, especially with the top down. How'd you do it?

If you guys have any questions you can send me an email at [email protected] or call the direct line to my office at 805.246.6067.
My pleasure, it's a great product. Murder on gas mileage though, I'm always in lower gears to enjoy the sound.
The sound file came from the camera mounted on the windshield, I combined it with the video shot from over my shoulder. I had an external mic secured over the exhaust tips but the wind noise was unbearable.

·
Vendor
78 Posts
My pleasure, it's a great product. Murder on gas mileage though, I'm always in lower gears to enjoy the sound.
The sound file came from the camera mounted on the windshield, I combined it with the video shot from over my shoulder. I had an external mic secured over the exhaust tips but the wind noise was unbearable.
Smart way to do it. How did you sync the audio file from the windshield microphone with the video file from the over the shoulder camera if you don't mind me asking? Did you do it manually or did you use a time code of some sort?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use Power Director 10 (they're on v.13 now), it let's you time the file down to 100th's of a second, so it takes a bit of back and forth note taking between the files.
When I get the timing on sound to match the vid, I merge the files and eliminate one sound track and one video track.

·
Vendor
78 Posts
I use Power Director 10 (they're on v.13 now), it let's you time the file down to 100th's of a second, so it takes a bit of back and forth note taking between the files.
When I get the timing on sound to match the vid, I merge the files and eliminate one sound track and one video track.
Thanks for this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts