Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’m sure by now most of us have seen Gator Bite’s Borla video. Thanks to his contributions and detailed responses to my many questions I ended up with the XR-1 exhaust as well. I’ve been 100% happy with my purchase, but still wanted more power/sound. My main concern was uncovering what could I do without introducing a copious amount of drone.

I realize drone is a subjective matter and don’t want to get into the debate, we all tolerate different levels of noise. In my case Borla was never bothersome.

I spent a better part of a month trying to research sound clips and volume levels of what the introduction of headers would do to a my Borla system. I couldn’t find a definite answer, closest comparisons was of M3’s with a similar setup. In the end I decided I would just take a risk and worst case resell the headers if it was too much. Below are my opinions and video of the combination of the Borla XR-1 Exhaust and the Fabspeed Catless Headers.

The headers are working in tandem with the Borla exhaust, SRP plenum/flash, and de-snork.

Sound

The result blew me away. My car has gone from sounding aggressive to sounding like a full on race car. Outside there is a night and day difference, but I should mention in cabin volume has gone up a few decibels. Much more and I don’t think the wife would have approved. Luckily in my case I can still call this a wife friendly modification, though we both like aggressive sounding vehicles. If anyone in the NW has a way to measure volume I’d be happy to meet up to quantify this.

Performance

I feel an increase in mid range torque, and a slight increase in how the car pulls from 4500 to redline. I plan to dyno the car in the next few months and compare it to previous dyno runs. I have done a dyno for each stage of my upgrades so there should be some good comparison points. I hope the readout reflects what I’m feeling, but I don’t want to claim any definite performance increase until it can be proven.

*edit* Car has now been on the dyno, scroll down to see graphs.

Drone

Here’s the good and bad part of the headers. The range in which the car drones appears to have been reduced. With Borla alone 2000-3000 RPM under load resonated the cabin and had some noticeable drone. With the headers it has increased the in cabin drone a couple decibels along with the exhaust sounds in the rest of the rpm range. BUT the drone now tapers off around 2600 RPM, at which point it begins its transformation into the higher pitched Borla wail. For me this is ideal, I have better sound and it’s easier to avoid the drone range.

Gas Mileage

This was not something I originally intended to compare, I assumed mileage would get worse with more mods/hp, but needing to drive ~100 miles I decided to experiment. When my car was stock I would see something like:
  • Freeway 24mpg avg
  • Mixed 20mpg avg
  • City 17mpg avg
For my tests, my driving style could best be described as leisurely, other than accelerating to get on the freeway I was in 6th @65-70mph carrying around 350lbs total of people/cargo.
  • Freeway 29mpg avg, slight incline 27mpg, slight decline 32mpg.
  • Mixed 23mpg avg
  • City 18mpg avg
I already knew this was a great car for road trips, but after seeing how much better the numbers had improved I was very surprised. I believe the biggest contributing factor is my softronics ecu tune. But letting the engine breathe easier seems to help as well.

At present I’m fairly certain I can say this is likely the only video you will find showing the transformation of a Cayman S equipped with Borla and stock headers to Borla with Headers of any type. Hope you enjoy :)
YouTube - Porsche Cayman S Borla XR-1 Exhaust Fabspeed Headers

Dyno

Here is the chart showing the change in video, Headers added to the Borla, SRP, de-snork. It seems to back up what I was feeling with more torque throughout, gaining about 12whp isn't bad either.

In the car's current track set up, it put down about 295 whp, using a ~15% loss is in the realm of 350 bhp

For comparison, below shows my car's baseline (but de-snorked) compared to current which adds Borla Exhaust, Fabspeed Headers, Softronic Plenum and ECU tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Obviously running a completely catless system might raise some questions, but there is no doubt that there is a discernable difference in sound - and it is a mighty fine sound too! One of the best sound samples yet - well done! <How's your clutch doing?!!>

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously running a completely catless system might raise some questions, but there is no doubt that there is a discernable difference in sound - and it is a mighty fine sound too! One of the best sound samples yet - well done! <How's your clutch doing?!!>
Thanks, no cats wasn't my first choice, but I had the opportunity to purchase (slightly used) for less than half of the original price and couldn't pass. Clutch is fine, I never drop it, but in regards to the video I think I took it a little too easy on initial rollout.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Nice. And you know what, you should be able to see flames shooting out from your exhaust now.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Blitzkrieg

WOW!!! now thats just awsome sounding :banana:
I have to hear this monster in person . I wonder what the HP performace gain is ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg,

Thanks for making the video and sharing your modification results. The Fabspeeds really made the Borla's scream. Sounded really good to me. And as I recall TPC uses the Fabspeed's for some of their turbo's.

From their appearance Fabspeed makes some really nice flowing headers that almost look like exact copies of Capristo headers (from what I can tell from the photos). I'm no tech, but willing to say that replacing the OEM headers with high-quality free-flowing headers, may be more important to HP than than replacing the remainder of the exhaust system.

Many seem to go for just catbacks. Obviously it's cheaper and this makes for the biggest improvement of sound -- and lets face it if it sounds like you're going faster then the mind will likely interpret that you are. However, I would suggest, if folks can afford it, to put out another 2k or so and replace the stock headers. Plus, as your video showed, this can really add to sound quality as well......which doesn't hurt.

Just an opinion of a mumbling old fart.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Re: Blitzkrieg

Glad you guys enjoyed the video.

From their appearance Fabspeed makes some really nice flowing headers that almost look like exact copies of Capristo headers (from what I can tell from the photos). I'm no tech, but willing to say that replacing the OEM headers with high-quality free-flowing headers, may be more important to HP than than replacing the remainder of the exhaust system.
James I agree, the Fabspeed headers build quality and finish is very impressive. It does not surprise me that the guys working their magic over at TPC like to use them with their turbo kit. I picked these up with ~9,000 mi of use already on them and other than the normal purple-blue heat discoloration they otherwise look just like the new product on the web.

I'm also not a tech, but am now a believer that well designed headers will likely offer the same or more hp than a catback (non turbo ;)) exhaust system. The equal length pipes and merge collector are far superior to the OEM piece. I'm also basing this on our NW region "dyno days" where I've seen Tomasz's car produce far better numbers with headers + oem exhaust than with his oem headers + aftermarket exhaust. It's too bad modifications aren't additive, I'm very much looking forward to another dyno run so I can quantify what I'm feeling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, no cats wasn't my first choice, but I had the opportunity to purchase (slightly used) for less than half of the original price and couldn't pass. Clutch is fine, I never drop it, but in regards to the video I think I took it a little too easy on initial rollout.
No I was just having a little joke about the clutch! You have an excellent set-up there. Well done on paving the way for the rest of us who are wondering about the header - catback solutions and what the various combinations may result in. Yours seems to be an excellent outcome.:cheers:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice: I just installed a full fabspeed exhaust myself. The 200cell cat headers and the 2nd cat bypass exhaust. I put this in place of a pse with a dream 1 and sport tipps. Wow, what a difference. Its just like youve said about, how the car pulls better from 4000rpm and up. It seems like the car can be held in the lower gears longer without thinking its hurting the motor. And the sound, holy moly., prepare for takeoff.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems like the car can be held in the lower gears longer without thinking its hurting the motor. And the sound, holy moly., prepare for takeoff.
Yeah I've noticed this too, letting the engine breathe easier seems to let it rev lower without needing to engage the clutch. Nice bonus in heavy traffic/city driving.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow, that sounds terrific--very racy. I've thought of headers as a future mod. I live in a rural county with no emissions testing, but think I would go with race cats.
Thanks for the video.
BW

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will add this to the original post as well, but after this past weekend I wanted to share about.

Gas Mileage

This was not something I originally intended to compare, I assumed mileage would get worse with more mods/hp, but needing to drive ~100 miles I decided to experiment. When my car was stock I would see something like:
  • Freeway 24mpg avg
  • Mixed 20mpg avg
  • City 17mpg avg
For my tests, my driving style could best be described as leisurely, other than accelerating to get on the freeway I was in 6th @65-70mph carrying around 350lbs total of people/cargo.
  • Freeway 29mpg avg, slight incline 27mpg, slight decline 32mpg.
  • Mixed 23mpg avg
  • City 18mpg avg
I already knew this was a great car for road trips, but after seeing how much better the numbers had improved I was very surprised. I believe the biggest contributing factor is my softronics ecu tune. But letting the engine breathe easier seems to help as well.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Great info Blitzkreig. I'm glad someone has finally posted a video with an aftermarket exhaust and race/ catless headers. They are very hard to find on YouTube. I pulled the trigger on the NHP headers and Softronics tune yesterday, can't wait when they come Friday. Do you have any plans for more power mods? Do you feel like you need them? lol, or should I say want :) I'm shooting to be able to compete with Carrera S's interms of power.

Wish you would have posted a good fly-by though. Oh well. I'll be sure to make some videos this weekend if everything goes well.

Enjoy in good health.

Oh and I almost forgot, any flames??? :cool:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm pretty well finished with power mods, have more than enough for street and next plan to spend money on "modding" the driver so I can learn to use it all on the track. My hopes are the dyno shows me somewhere between 340 and 350 bhp which is bridging the gap between 997.1 base and 997.1S. Would be nice to be putting down "S" power though.

Next time my brother is in town I'll see if we can film some fly-bys, we both enjoyed putting the last one together. And no flames to speak of, though can't say they would really be visible to me anyways.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Fabspeed headers are the model with or without catalysts?

I have the Borla catback on my cayman s and the truth is I love the sound that give the car the fabspeed headers.

I was thinking of switching to Capristo, but seen this video, I will not do and that these headers are the key .....:D

One question, with these headers is some light error in the table?

Thank you very much for the video! :thanks:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.