Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the MOSTAUX for a few years now, and while it does the job, I'm looking to go with something a little more integrated.

I have an 07 Cayman with CDR-24 and Bose.

Here is what I'd like to do:

1) Keep the existing Bose speakers (they're fine for me, they work, and I listen to mostly talk radio anyway).

2) Go with this head unit: Blaupunkt New Jersey 220 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
-It's a simple dual din am/fm/cd/mp3/usb radio. Keeps all my apps on the iphone. I'm a fan of the simpler installation (no antenna, camera, etc), and outsourcing nav/mp3/satrad/etc to the phone.
-It matches the color pretty closely, even the font is similar.
-It has a bit of a euro flair to it, I feel like it will be right at home.

3) Assume I need this installation kit to make it fit similar to this: New Porsche 987 Cayman Custom Double DIN Installation Kit Sound Package Plus | eBay
-Not sure which one I'd need exactly as I'll be replacing the amp altogether.

4) Replace the Bose Amp with an amp that will:
a) support this head unit,
b) support the current Bose speakers/wiring,
c) fit in the stock amp location.
d) support the stock powered Sub
-I am totally open to suggestions on this one.

So...Is this doable? Do I need to rewire the entire car? Can you keep the stock speakers/sub with a new amp and HU?

Bonus Extra Credit question...Can you retain the dash display with a new HU/Amp?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that's the route I'll go then. Looks like I can send the wiring harness to Loi, and make this a complete plug and play operation. That will save me from paying an installer, as I'm already familiar with the dash side tear down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a full replacement of HU and Amp...on y 2005 Boxster with Bose... kept Bose speakers. Many newer amps out there will work with 2 ohm Bose speakers. My system sounds great for the car... after all its' a convertible, not a concert hall. All in I spent less than $750 for double din touch screen HU with GPS/Nav, BU camera, 5 channel amp and the install kit with porsche bezel...Didn't want to spend a fortune on a new system, after all the car is 10 years old and not worth a whole lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts