Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an ongoing problem with my Bose system. The dealer has replaced everything in the last 3 years and finally just said that was the way it was. The issue is that while listening to the radio with the surround on the great sound fades out and it sounds like a cheap stereo and then it will come back. They checked the antenna amp and it was working. I live in an area where the signal strength is very good but this keeps happening and it is annoying as it goes from great to **** and back again about every five minutes no matter where I am driving. No problem with the CD. I know with the 928 they added a second antenna to help with reception.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine does it too, rarely. Don't recall if it is only on radio - I'll make note in the future.

I don't find it nearly as annoying as having an expensive optional system that STILL sounds mediocre, at best. Sigh...

p.s. I did stuff the sub, and it helped.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know what you mean... this has happened and I guess in certain areas where I drove, it would do this. When I switched to my Pioneer Avic-D3, this problem went away.

Just the way the headunit handles the surround processing based on signal level/strength I believe.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,774 Posts
Mine does the same thing. The dealer replaced the radio. Your only option is to turn off surround. You would think Porsche would be able to install a decent radio. I finally installed a Gateway 500 and only listen to my iPod now.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I was told that if the surround sound circuit does not have a good clean FM signal it drops out of the mode (this was told to me when I had my Boxster). My Cayman does it very rarely as compared (same CD24 radio) Go figure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm playing around with aftermarket upgrades in three other vehicles right now, and it is truly appalling how bad stock systems are - even the "premium" Bose system in the Cayman! I mean, $80 speakers are huge improvements on most stock stuff, and $250 buys a lot of great head unit functionalilty (non NAV.)

Seriously, a few extra bucks invested in manufacturing, and these factory systems would be way better. Argh...

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Cayman setup is based of the Boxster sound system... even the subwoofer is in the wrong place. When I pickd up my 997.2, it came with the Bose setup and sounds WAY better. It's just as good as the aftermarket setup I used in my Cayman with better functionality.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I agree the system in my Boxster (the exact same system) sounded much better verses the way it sounds in the Cayman. In the Cayman the system seems like an afterthought. IE: put the sub where ever they can. The factory system in my old BMW 325I sounded great as compared to my Porsches.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my 05 boxster s with bose fades in and out all the time, drive me nuts. i'm ready to replace the head unit. are there any good non-nav head units that will plug into the bose wiring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.