Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used sweet 2014 981 BS. Love the car with a couple of exceptions. One of them is the Bose System. Probably the worst and cheapest crap system ever put into a 80k car. Wow, thought my 987.1 BS's Bose sytem was crap, yet this one might even be worse. Not sure why Porsche can't get Bose to actually put in something decent to begin with, it just is a real bummer. My B&O system in my Q5 is one of the best OEm stereos out there on a 51k car, while my 80K new car is one of the worst.
I've been cruising the threads all over. Need some consoliation of ideas here as I don't have the money to spend 4k to upgrade. Ugh!!.
What is the most cost effective way to make is sound acceptable.
My consensus is to add the Burgmeister speakers? Can anyone help sort through all of the confusion and give me some common sense reality to this dilemma.
Thank you all SOOOOO much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really have no opinion on whether or not the Bose unit in my 981 2016 Cayman S produces acceptable sound...

About the only time the cabin is quiet enough is if I have the stop-start feature enabled and I'm sitting and waiting for the light to change...

Any other time the cabin is filled with engine noise (PSE) or I'm getting wind buffeting with the windows down...

I'm afraid a better music system would be lost trying to overcome the noise level in my Cayman... It's not a quiet place when it's in motion....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snip-
Yep, it does get loud and it's a sweet sound! But there are those of us in traffic in Daily Driving situations that would enjoy some quality sound to drown out our awful traffic.
There is just no justification in putting crap in an $80 car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Raise the top. Helped a lot for me. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
For music the first thing you need to do is set the system to "linear". The surround sound of the Bose system absolutely kills the way music is supposed to sound. I find the surround sound feature isn't too bad with talk radio, but for music it's absolutely ruinous.

If after you've set the system to "linear" and it still sounds awful I'd take it in to the dealership to make sure it's not broken. I think the Bose system in my 981 sounds very good, so long as you defeat the artificial signal processing.

You can only expect so much from the $900 that's charged for it. And it is true that the cabin on a 981 (particularly a Cayman) is anything but serene- far from an ideal situation for spending big bucks on a stereo. Your Audi SUV will give you far more quiet to play music on top of.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have an S4 with B&O and agree there is no comparison to the BOSE system in my 2014 CS. However, the CS is so much louder inside that the difference is only noticeable to me when the CS is parked with engine off. I agree with Wonderingwheelz that adjusting the BOSE will help. In addition to turning off the surround sound I had to play lower the bass in order to keep it from sounding boomy. If all that is unsatisfying then your best bet is a good set of noise cancelling headphones or earplugs and your phone. I use noise cancelling headset, BOSE, on airlines all the time and they work wonders to cancel out the outside noise. Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy Ending. From following some online forums, I came in contact with a 911 Modification to the tweeters on the 911. Musicar Northwest in Portland came up with a SWEEEEEEEET tweeter replacement modification that shows you how to use your existing side vent, remove existing tweeter set up and replace it with a set of Dynaudio tweeters.
Result. A very sweet upgrade that satisfies my needs with a big smile. Inexpensive, easy, and simple. A+ and thanks to Nick at Musicar Northwest. Amazing how switching out the tweeters made such a huge difference. I'm happy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy Ending. From following some online forums, I came in contact with a 911 Modification to the tweeters on the 911. Musicar Northwest in Portland came up with a SWEEEEEEEET tweeter replacement modification that shows you how to use your existing side vent, remove existing tweeter set up and replace it with a set of Dynaudio tweeters.
Result. A very sweet upgrade that satisfies my needs with a big smile. Inexpensive, easy, and simple. A+ and thanks to Nick at Musicar Northwest. Amazing how switching out the tweeters made such a huge difference. I'm happy!
Is there a link for that mod you might supply?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree with you, the Bose system is not the greatest, far from it too. I had a BMW with a Harmon Kardon system that sounded really good. I also agree Snip's post, the cabin is so loud with engine noise that I really don't listen much due to these two factors. I am a sound engineer by trade so I do my critical listening at home or in the studio. Cars at this level of cost should have a better designed sound system.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would also love a link!

I have these same terrible system. The problem, to my ears, is a lack of midrange. High end seems fine to me. You can hear vocals, but the music underneath it is muted.

I don’t know if it’s the speakers or the processing but something has to change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spacekatgal, I did some searching (since the link from westcoastboxter never arrived) and found musicarnw.com. It's the site for a top notch audio shop in Portland, Oregon. I contacted Nick Akin who's in charge of building the tweeters. He will tell you how to go about buying a set. There's a 2 week waiting period at this time so I'll be waiting for about another week until mine ship out. His email address is [email protected]. Good luck.
Dr. Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am lucky enough to live in PDX, so I just need to swing by to have him swap these in for me. Nick said it would take about 30 minutes. I am going to have him disconnect the center channel dash speaker while he is at it since it is mostly useless. I should hear from him in the next week or so to schedule a time for him to complete the work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spacekatgal, I did some searching (since the link from westcoastboxter never arrived) and found musicarnw.com. It's the site for a top notch audio shop in Portland, Oregon. I contacted Nick Akin who's in charge of building the tweeters. He will tell you how to go about buying a set. There's a 2 week waiting period at this time so I'll be waiting for about another week until mine ship out. His email address is [email protected]. Good luck.
Dr. Dave
That is amazing! Thank you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am lucky enough to live in PDX, so I just need to swing by to have him swap these in for me. Nick said it would take about 30 minutes. I am going to have him disconnect the center channel dash speaker while he is at it since it is mostly useless. I should hear from him in the next week or so to schedule a time for him to complete the work.
I had the tweeter upgrade installed, the center speaker removed and the cheesy sub disconnected yesterday. It makes a significant improvement. I am very pleased with the result. I highly recommend this for anyone with the Bose system. It is well worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got my tweeters from Nick last week and got around to installing them this morning. Using the supplied trim removal tool the AC vent comes off very easily. Putting the tweeters in requires fiddling them around a bit until they seat properly but it's easily achievable. The only procedure I would suggest changing is that you must FIRST REMOVE THE OEM TWEETER FROM IT'S BASE by just sliding them under the metal clip so that you can see the small opening on the top portion of the plug through which you must push a tiny tab in order to release the plug and free the speaker. Otherwise you will damage the plug or strip the wires in the stock harness. Every other detail is very clear in Nick's videos. The sound, of course, is very much improved!
Excellent product Nick! Thanks.
Dr. Dave

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I got my tweeters from Nick last week and got around to installing them this morning. Using the supplied trim removal tool the AC vent comes off very easily. Putting the tweeters in requires fiddling them around a bit until they seat properly but it's easily achievable. The only procedure I would suggest changing is that you must FIRST REMOVE THE OEM TWEETER FROM IT'S BASE by just sliding them under the metal clip so that you can see the small opening on the top portion of the plug through which you must push a tiny tab in order to release the plug and free the speaker. Otherwise you will damage the plug or strip the wires in the stock harness. Every other detail is very clear in Nick's videos. The sound, of course, is very much improved!
Excellent product Nick! Thanks.
Dr. Dave
Now I am curious, can you share what the kit costs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is expensive, but the raw tweeters themselves are like almost $400 and Nick has spent the time to make everything fit together and sound great. These are the kind of tweeters you would see in $5-8k home speakers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is expensive, but the raw tweeters themselves are like almost $400 and Nick has spent the time to make everything fit together and sound great. These are the kind of tweeters you would see in $5-8k home speakers.

Plus the fact that you can install yourself save plenty over a professional installer. I'm very happy with this inexpensive mod that makes me want to use my Bose unit rather than cringe with the OEM set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts